Match Thread Everton v Southampton 1/3/21 - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange game really.

We sort of played on Southampton not being very good and it worked. I think with the amount of knocks we tried to manage the game, the word used on the commentary and analysis was 'cruise', I would not use that word but I believe it was an attempt to reserve as much as possible during the game. We went in short bursts with periods of sitting off.

It could have failed miserably but we got through a game where we would have lost in previous seasons and gained some much needed confidence at home.

We could have easily been 3 up at half time, with the set pieces, which would have made the plan look proper genius but all in all a good day at the office.

I don't know how we fans square the traditional EFC desire for entertaining exciting football with the backwards sideways drudgery we produce, which has proved successful in getting the right results. You would not have been believed a few months ago if you had forecast our high league position at this stage of the season. After the frustration of last night's performance has died down, I guess the acceptable view is that we are still in transition and Carlo can only make gradual progress with the players he has got. When the paying customers return, after the initial excitement of being back has subsided, it will be interesting to see the crowd reaction to such as last night's display, apart from a loud cheer at the final whistle.

Great result, a bit nervy we were going to Everton it at the end.
But we did lack creativity - missed a proper attacking midfielder

Thought everyone played exceptionally well for the most part. I voted Keane, he is one you can count on just about every match. Just wish we would have finished on some of those set pieces. UTFT

Crikey, that was a painful watch. Long periods of time where we were incapable of keeping possession for more than 3 passes. Wrong decisions being made time after time, putting the playing receiving the ball under pressure.

On the plus side it's a win, a clean sheet and a smart finish from Richarlison.

Allan looked completely off it and completely unwilling to show for the ball when we were attempting to play out from the back. He needs a big improvement next game, but perhaps understandable after being out for so long. Doucoure was the usual mix of tenacity and catastrophe, he could be so good, he just needs to cut out the mistakes, he's making far too many at the moment.

I gave the MotM to Gomes, not much competition though.

Do I care that was a painful watch? Not really

Off the previous match, it would be have been very easy to turn in a hangover performance and lose it. But we didn't, we put in effort at least, and won an ugly game. Got 90 mins out of Allan. Found a way to win a game without Tom Davies bossing it in the middle of the pitch.

3 points

UTFT

Status
Not open for further replies.