Match Thread Everton v Southampton 1/3/21 - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great win! You shouldn’t dwell on the past but imagine we would’ve beat Fulham and Newcastle. We all would’ve been dreaming! Anytime, time to focus on the next 4-5 games and try and push on.
This season has been full of odd results for pretty much everyone other than Man City. Dont dwell on it. We will do as well as we deserve, we hopefully will focus and take points against "lesser" teams and continue taking points off the "higher" teams.

Thing is with that game had we put another one of those chances from set pieces in we’d have gone on to control the ball a lot more and probably gone on to score another. The missed chances and disallowed goal spurred Saints on a bit and they grew into it, I’m 100% certain this time last year we go on to concede and possibly even lose this game.

It’s our first win and clean sheet at home in the league in a long time, that on the back of a win at Anfield, this is progress and a great sign.

If we win on Thursday the table will make for good reading as we will jump West Ham and either Liverpool or Chelsea or both.
Nobody can overtake us so we’ll deffo start our game on Thursday in 7th place. If we beat WBA, we also deffo go 4th, leapfrogging West Ham, RS and Chelsea. However, RS play Chelsea immediately after our game, so if either of them win, we’ll drop down to 5th. A draw in that would suit us best, as that means we go into the weekend fixtures still 4th

I love the idea of playing 2 up front, DCL and Richarlson are pretty lethal. Going forward though who is gonna back them up? (refer to Moise Kean thread) we would need at least one new striker maybe 2

I wouldnt say its solely down to tactics I just dont believe that half our players have self belief going forward particularly the midfield its too safe sideways and back passing.

Look at the performances going forward at the start of the season the whole team played with confidence and it was that arrogance of "we're better than you and we're gonna show it" and thats how teams eventually become successful and win trophies.

Rome wasnt built in a day but I feel we need to get the blend right between defending and attacking.

Too many games on a knife edge for me when we should be looking at teams like injury hit Southampton in free fall coming to our ground - "your managers getting sacked after this one!" Should be the mentality of the team not giving them confidence to grow into the game.
James was in the team as was Allan, Gomes and Sigi really slow us down. Nothing new as we had this for a while. We won let’s be happy
We played better and lost
That match seems worse because the ref added 3 random minutes on

I love the idea of playing 2 up front, DCL and Richarlson are pretty lethal. Going forward though who is gonna back them up? (refer to Moise Kean thread) we would need at least one new striker maybe 2
Can't play 2 up front these days, you get swamped in the midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.