Match Thread Everton v Salford City, Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
For me it's a downgraded competition this year without the automatic Europa League qualification. The idea of playing in some conference pre qualifying league is not appealing at all. If Ancelotti thinks different, it's fine.
Yeah but it's not about any qualifications, otsabout winning something, which is vital.

I think we should not play either of the c/bs we played yesterday because if either of them get injured we are down to the bare bones in that position.
wonder if we’ll see Kenny moved to CB with one of Gibson/Branthwaite and Kyle John at RB as we saw against Preston?
that being said, they say don’t change a winning defence...be interesting to see the lineup that’s for sure

Due to Covid this season is already concertinaed up so in effect it becomes the usual hard slog in a fraction of the time, two games a week the norm without any additional problems or postponements, three a week could easily be the case later in the season.

Win on Wednesday, as any team we field should, and there's another round next midweek too. The nucleus of first teamers will be required to pull out every drop of effort and commitment to last the course. As in recent times with other successful 'top' teams with larger squads, to get through will require all twenty to twenty five squad members.

There's not really a choice this season, precisely because of the special circumstances, a shorter pre-season doesn't somehow make players more ready to dive straight into the two game a week schedule but less.

We are really forced to use the squad if we want to stay competitive throughout the whole season and not just the first month or two.

So for us newbies, how does the club approach cup competition. Do they go for it or is it an inconvenience?

Is there enough depth to compete?

I work with lads support Salford City.
Everton had better not do an Everton, or I will need to take time off!

I know we are confident, but we have lost to worse teams!

Even a 2nd string should be enough against these.

Darron Gibson hat trick then.

So for us newbies, how does the club approach cup competition. Do they go for it or is it an inconvenience?

Its awkward. We have never won it, and by a mile its the 3rd "best" domestic trophy in play, so early rounds, its seen as a bit of a pain.

That said, if we get to the later stages, and won it, we would be made up. Think it was Jose's first trophy at Chelsea. Pep at City as well.

Personally think we should go for this but a lot aren't bothered, it's the least glamorous of the pots

Its awkward. We have never won it, and by a mile its the 3rd "best" domestic trophy in play, so early rounds, its seen as a bit of a pain.

That said, if we get to the later stages, and won it, we would be made up. Think it was Jose's first trophy at Chelsea. Pep at City as well.

I think that’s the sentiment with most clubs. Try to get past the lower leagues with reserves and see where you are at. Still remember Falcao being taking out by some 3rd divsion semi-pro prior to the WC. Need to protect the talent.

Due to Covid this season is already concertinaed up so in effect it becomes the usual hard slog in a fraction of the time, two games a week the norm without any additional problems or postponements, three a week could easily be the case later in the season.

Win on Wednesday, as any team we field should, and there's another round next midweek too. The nucleus of first teamers will be required to pull out every drop of effort and commitment to last the course. As in recent times with other successful 'top' teams with larger squads, to get through will require all twenty to twenty five squad members.

There's not really a choice this season, precisely because of the special circumstances, a shorter pre-season doesn't somehow make players more ready to dive straight into the two game a week schedule but less.

We are really forced to use the squad if we want to stay competitive throughout the whole season and not just the first month or two.

Yeah but mate our squad consists of

Sigurdsson, Iwobi, Bernard, Walcott, Davies, Nkounkou, Kenny, Branthwaite, Gibson, Gordon and Kean.

Thats XI players who'd get a game for us last season, who are our reserve players. They can do a number on Salford City, and you'd hope Port Vale/Fleetwood.

That's not cocky, that's just evident. 5 of those are full internationals, with over 200 senior caps between them. Add to the fact they'll all be desperate to impress having lost their place in the XI, i would reckon we'd be able to avoid using Richarlison, James, Doucoure, Allan, DCL, Coleman, Digne throughout there to be honest.

I can see Carlo seriously targeting a cup this year, our depth is as good as it’s ever been. As some have said though, the FA Cup is the one you really really want but hey a cup is a cup. We’d go ballistic if we won silverware

I work with lads support Salford City.
Everton had better not do an Everton, or I will need to take time off!

I know we are confident, but we have lost to worse teams!

Even a 2nd string should be enough against these.

Darron Gibson hat trick then.

Blimey, I had no idea he played for them. They really have shown some ambition

Status
Not open for further replies.