Match Thread Everton v Rotherham. Sat. 9th Jan, 2021. 12.00. FA Cup 3rd round

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I will say, after reflecting on it, is that we’ve had 3 potential banana skins now this season in cups and came through them all in one way or another. Salford was very comfortable, Fleetwood was unnecessarily made wobbly before we made it comfortable and yesterday was very uncomfortable but we found that bit of quality to scrape it. In past seasons, under other managers, we go out in one of those ties

There's been plenty of times we've bombed out in the 3rd or 4th round, so its good we're through despite how poorly we played. Equally we've scraped through the 3rd round in similar games before going on to win the cup.
Our performance yesterday suggests we'll struggle against better opposition, but who knows.
First things first, lets hope for a good draw and take it from there.

I think this is the first time that I've realised how much worse you look when you're playing badly in an empty stadium..

The times we lost possession through poor passing, and there were lots of them, seemed worse because it all happened in complete silence.

Usually the crowd groans but then we go on to the next phase and it goes away. Not today.

I don't know who it was, but when we were hanging on in the last few minutes of extra time he hoofed it out from right back and the ball went straight to a Rotherham player, and an Everton player nowhere near him to contest it.

The only positive I can take out of this, with the Wolves match on Tuesday in mind, is that we usually play better against stronger opposition than in games against teams that we're expected to beat.

Come on folks. We got through. I know it was bad but compare the feeling to this time last year when the r s kids knocked us out and the year before at the den. Surely this progress. Slow I know.
Just as well FA cup is not known for tricky ties and giant killing. Just imagine if they were...

Every Rotherham most likely playing the biggest high profile match of their season.

Was thinking the same, he seemed too reserved. Too many times it looked like he was having a mental battle with himself, for example if there was a ball to be chased or a player to close down it was almost like his instinct was to attack it like the Seamus of old, but then he’d check himself and stop like almost telling himself “lad your legs are gone, you’re gonna get done ‘ere just back off”. Sad to see, but today we needed the Coleman of 2011 to give their fullback a hard game

To add to that, there were a couple of times he got the ball with acres of space in behind his full back to knock it past him and run on to it, which he'd have done in his sleep a few years back. Instead he came back inside because he doesn't trust himself to go for it.

I suspect the last hamstring against Liverpool did for the last of his faith in his legs. If he can't trust himself to sprint any more it's not looking great.

They care nothing for you. Not a sausage. Sad indictment on the modern game and clubs, that is not and are not the same as we grew up loving.
At elite club level, loyalty to money is the only loyalty of modern football. I care little for it and wish more people cottoned onto the reality of their misplaced support/fandom.

Stop feeding the beast!!

Status
Not open for further replies.