Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Theo Walcott

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Votes: 2 0.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew after the first ten minutes that they were going to be hard to break down, and when they scored I wasn't that confident that we'd even equalise.
I don't know whether Benitez always sets them up like that in games he doesn't think they'll win, but we don't seem to be good enough to deal with
it. We just don't score enough goals to challenge for a very high spot in the table, even when we play well, like on Sunday.

Probably the worst Newcastle team I have seen in years and certainly the dirtiest. They seemed to take turns in committing a really bad foul. I know they are struggling for talent but I never thought a Benitez team would play like this. We had neither the energy nor the wit to defeat a massed defence, and of course no proper goal scorer.

Pickford - 7 - Didn't have much to do, but when he did made a brilliant save. Couldn't do much for their goal.
Coleman - 6 - Defensively he was good apart from not blocking the cross for their goal, which is a big mark against him.
Zouma - 6 - He looked off the pace and like he'd been thrown back in for no real reason, which is what he was...
Mina - 6 - Actually thought he was good apart from for their goal. Tbf, it was a hard ball to judge and Digne should be covering.
Digne - 5 - Thought he had his poorest game for us. Set pieces were inconsistent but his crossing from open play was poor (same for them all, though).
Gueye - 6 - Couldn't really get amongst Newcastle and do what he does best, because there was no play to break up.
Gomes - 7 - Excellent on the ball as usual. Players not on the same wavelength at times.
Sigurdsson - 6 - Didn't really get involved. Should have scored that chance though, and don't think he should have been the player to go off.
Lookman - 5 - Seemed to get frustrated too quickly. A bit sloppy in possession and tried too hard at times.
Richarlison - 6 - For this system to work, for now, he needs to play centrally. Doesn't matter what it takes away from his game. It adds to the team's. Good finish.
Tosun - 5 - Doesn't fit in with how Silva wants to play, unfortunately. I think he's more than capable of making an impact from the bench when a game is stretched, but starting, it limits our play.

Walcott - 6 - Came on and at least added some pace and direct running, but didn't do much.
Bernard - 6 - See above.
DCL - 6 - See above.
Pretty much sums up my review of each player and what struck me was how pretty much ever player, bar Gomes, looked leggy and lacking in any inspiration.

Like with the goal, Coleman left another ball needlessly drop past him in the second half, which I found really strange, and Digne's crossing was ad-hoc at best!

Gylfi's miss was something that you really wouldn't expect from a player with his composure; people may say it was a great save, but that should have been in!

I truly believe that Tosun isn't as bad as some are making out, but like ypu mention our system doesn't really suit him. Yet, I didn't think he really exerted himself.

Coming off the derby result and given an opportunity, I'd hoped he would have grabbed the proverbial bull by the horns, however he quite simply didn't.

It was like the Alamo at time how we were throwing crosses in the box and building up the pressure, but I never really thought we'd actually score in the second half.

Probably the worst Newcastle team I have seen in years and certainly the dirtiest. They seemed to take turns in committing a really bad foul. I know they are struggling for talent but I never thought a Benitez team would play like this. We had neither the energy nor the wit to defeat a massed defence, and of course no proper goal scorer.

To be fair to them that was the only way that Newcastle team would get anything from that game And they did and were deserving of it. Fair play to Rafael.. we move on

Nobody can doubt tbe tactical acumen of Rafael after tbat performance. The man operates on a different plane to mere mortals.

I don't think we will buy big in this coming window, but surely the two biggest priority needs are a proven centre forward who can score goals and securing the permanent contract for Andre Gomes. If we can't get anybody else I would settle for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.