Match Thread Everton v Newcastle United - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Take heart from ending up this game with a draw - imagine losing a Cup Final this way to 90+ minutes goals - and just this week too !

My home town :(

Up 1 nil after 95 mins

The 11 players on the pitch were culpable. The idea that the manager could have conspired to lose two points in two minutes through tactical errors is fanciful. Simplistic even.
The way you express yourself clearly shows you are not thick, but there must be something missing in an area of your brain. I would describe your opinion, which I of course respect, as clueless. Maybe football is not your game. Maybe you read about the game somewhere, and didn't waste your money and time watching it.

The way you express yourself clearly shows you are not thick, but there must be something missing in an area of your brain. I would describe your opinion, which I of course respect, as clueless. Maybe football is not your game. Maybe you read about the game somewhere, and didn't waste your money and time watching it.
Ok

The game management has got to be better. Even if your 2-0 up on 91/92 minutes with more left to play and you have a corner/free kick chance to make it 3-0 you don't have to try to score just play it in the corner and run the clock down.

As soon as it went 2-1 the moment we kicked off and Delph just lumped the ball straight back to them. That's when the equaliser was mentally conceded. It's such a weak attitude from a senior player.

I wasn't convinced with signing Delph in the first place because of his injury prone nature but was talked round by others saying he'll bring us valuable experience and is a winner....

The other subs that came on Davies for Bernard. If you're going to bring a CM on replace with another CM sticking him out on the left again his ball retention was awful and giving away crucial fouls which lead to the goal. The only thing Davies did well was winning that free kick 25 yards out which was ballooned over by Digne. Davies is probably our 5th choice CM but with injuries atm we have very little option but to use him.

The only positive is that Kean is off the mark.

OK so we are 2-0 up and looking to close the game out.
71 min Sub #1 Kean off for Coleman - Kean is done himself in, good job him. Puts a defender with fresh legs on the pitch and lets Sidibe move further forward , reduces the chance of a mistake at the back.
83 min Sub #2 Bernard off for Davies - much like Kean, Bernard has run all over the place. Davies is the only other midfielder on the bench and has covered for Bernard before on the left. 10 minutes left with added time likely
88 min Walcott off for Niasse - There's likely 5 mins left and we are 2-0 up. we need to offload Niasse and the chances of a deal are more likely if he is playing. its a forward for a forward as Sidibe is in left midfield so no harm done.
We have 2 mins of the 90 left and 11 professionals on the pitch against a team who took their only striker off at 78 min.
How did we let 2 goals in?
I'm not sure the subs contributed much to the goals certainly the 3 players that came off would not have changed the outcome of those 2 goals.
Goal #1 Pickford flaps at it badly, Mina follows the ball out and leaves the man he is marking - he should have been there to get a head in the way bravely or do enough to put a CB off when executing an overhead technique.
Goal #2 Davies misjudges the flight of the ball. Calvert Lewin gets his head to a shot but heads downward into the path of the Newcastle players in the 6 yard box. Delph and Schniederlin are watching. Pickford is effectively removing himself from play by being over the goal line.
Both goals were Pickford errors with a lot of help from his team mates but neither should have been happening at all. We had been playing square passess across the back and with 2 DCM's all night and yet could not do that for 5 minutes at the end. Pathetic.

OK so we are 2-0 up and looking to close the game out.
71 min Sub #1 Kean off for Coleman - Kean is done himself in, good job him. Puts a defender with fresh legs on the pitch and lets Sidibe move further forward , reduces the chance of a mistake at the back.
83 min Sub #2 Bernard off for Davies - much like Kean, Bernard has run all over the place. Davies is the only other midfielder on the bench and has covered for Bernard before on the left. 10 minutes left with added time likely
88 min Walcott off for Niasse - There's likely 5 mins left and we are 2-0 up. we need to offload Niasse and the chances of a deal are more likely if he is playing. its a forward for a forward as Sidibe is in left midfield so no harm done.
We have 2 mins of the 90 left and 11 professionals on the pitch against a team who took their only striker off at 78 min.
How did we let 2 goals in?
I'm not sure the subs contributed much to the goals certainly the 3 players that came off would not have changed the outcome of those 2 goals.
Goal #1 Pickford flaps at it badly, Mina follows the ball out and leaves the man he is marking - he should have been there to get a head in the way bravely or do enough to put a CB off when executing an overhead technique.
Goal #2 Davies misjudges the flight of the ball. Calvert Lewin gets his head to a shot but heads downward into the path of the Newcastle players in the 6 yard box. Delph and Schniederlin are watching. Pickford is effectively removing himself from play by being over the goal line.
Both goals were Pickford errors with a lot of help from his team mates but neither should have been happening at all. We had been playing square passess across the back and with 2 DCM's all night and yet could not do that for 5 minutes at the end. Pathetic.

I think that's the first post I've read which identifies reasons, good reasons, for making those subs. Pickford is the common denominator, but there's arguably a more general failing in mentality and game management.

Status
Not open for further replies.