Match Thread Everton v Newcastle - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interested to see how Coleman and Iwobi link up today .. not sure they get on that well from what I've seen and heard from when I've watched them close up. Could be a good partnership so here's hoping!

Carlo had to back Pickford for this one. He’d been doing fine until the last game. What kind of message would it send dropping him after one mistake.

Weirdly enough, if he kept a clean sheet against Leicester, I could’ve seen Olsen starting today. Cause Pickford always looks extra jittery against the barcodes.
He makes mistakes every game just gets away with it 90% of the time

Looking forward to Sigurdsson finding oceans of space - every time Newcastle get the ball
It's depressing isn't it? It's funny the number of fans who think we are on track to contend for the title, or even top 4, when we start with someone like that. Add in the fact that the bench is a joke, that we do not have a goalscorer available for selection, and that we are relying totally on a striker who is currently misfiring, we'll do well to finish in seventh.

...the one exception I’d make is Godfrey. I think his pace and athleticism is vital somewhere along that back four. Indeed, LB is probably the one position I’d certainly play Digne.

Yeah would agree Eggs. Also what I've noticed from Godfrey (even though he's been caught out a few times) is his reading of the game is impressive and even when he has been caught out his pace has got him out of trouble.

Carlo had to back Pickford for this one. He’d been doing fine until the last game. What kind of message would it send dropping him after one mistake.

Weirdly enough, if he kept a clean sheet against Leicester, I could’ve seen Olsen starting today. Cause Pickford always looks extra jittery against the barcodes.

It's not dropping a keeper after one mistake though is it? It's dropping one of the most consistently bad keepers of the prem

Interested to see how Coleman and Iwobi link up today .. not sure they get on that well from what I've seen and heard from when I've watched them close up. Could be a good partnership so here's hoping!
Expecting he has a go at goal with a weak left footed shot.

Carlo's backed Pickford, which is fair enough, for me. He could have dropped him and I think would have if it was an outfield player who'd made an error that bad, but it's clear he has a degree of confidence in him and doesn't want to make a big deal of the mistake by dropping him straight away. It's now down to Pickford to repay that faith.

Godfrey and Holgate aren't playing because when they do, they don't go past the half way line and these are going to park the bus. They'd both be bordering on useless in this game if it ends up being hard to break them down.

They can be brought on if we're defending a lead and they throw St Max on.

Really intrigued by the midfield selection. I wonder if James will be central or we might even be giving Iwobi a go to see what happens. Probably the former, but I'm surprised and delighted to see neither or Davies or Gomes in the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.