Match Thread Everton v Manchester City - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll.

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
So let’s just beat Wolves and Bournemouth. It’s in our own hands . To hell with goal difference. Let’s just win those two matches.,,, Up the Toffees.
Now would certainly be a good time to win two consecutive league matches. We haven't managed that all season.

Yes, it's a little late to worry about goal difference, or even goals scored. But things are very tight and a 3-0 defeat has given away our advantage over Leeds.

And if a draw against Bournemouth is enough to save us, what will Sean Dyche do?

Also the frekick for their goal -{it was a Free kick} but after treatment, why was Foden allowed to stay on the pitch ?
I can't remember exactly, but there may have been a yellow card prior to that free kick

I have a feeling that there is a rule that a player doesn't have to leave the field after treatment if the referee shows a card. Someone can correct me if I am wrong on that one.

I can't remember exactly, but there may have been a yellow card prior to that free kick

I have a feeling that there is a rule that a player doesn't have to leave the field after treatment if the referee shows a card. Someone can correct me if I am wrong on that one.
The commentator stated he should have left the field - but then again, what do they know ?

It made no difference for the chipped free kick though :(

We were up against the best team on the planet and we more than held our own for 38 minutes. We can't ask for much more than that.
Your real name isn't Jon Snow is it?
They danced us around the ring for a couple of rounds, to loosen the legs just enough to keep them ticking over, lightly flicking the jab out to keep us off balance.
We had a brief 5 min bit down their end.
They went up to a canter, scored 2 quick goals and eased off.
We barely laid a glove on them before or after.

We now have two winnable games that are perhaps the two most important games in our club's history. Let's focus on them.

Sad to see Holgate booed off the pitch.

He had a desperately poor game (and had he put us 1-0 up as he should have done we might have got a point), but he's not trying to be crap.

And frankly booing a player is hardly going to boost their confidence and make them play better.
Fair points

Now would certainly be a good time to win two consecutive league matches. We haven't managed that all season.

Yes, it's a little late to worry about goal difference, or even goals scored. But things are very tight and a 3-0 defeat has given away our advantage over Leeds.

And if a draw against Bournemouth is enough to save us, what will Sean Dyche do?
I’m just being bullish . Always thinking that we can win football matches. Always thinking that we are better than we really are. Always getting carried away with false dawns , and we never do follow up with another decent performance. But we now need something . From somewhere.

And TBH , I don’t trust Dyche and these players to get anything right. And if a draw with Bournemouth keeps us up , what does Dyche do? You can’t plan for a draw. You can’t set up for a draw . Anything can happen . And knowing our luck , it’s 0-0 at 94 minutes , then Bournemouth score .
So it’s imo , all systems go , to get those two wins. And as you have rightly stated , we don’t win two matches in succession. So I’m thinking that it’s 4 points from these two matches. So let’s beat Wolves first. But who knows with this Everton team.

Awful that we are in this position . And I just don’t trust Sean Dyche to get things right . So we have to try and win these remaining matches. Just hope that the footballing gods are with us. And let’s hope that Leeds utd and Leicester City lose their remaining matches. Just in case we get nothing.

And tbh , I’m floundering here. I really don’t know what to expect. We are all willing this team to play like they did at Brighton . But isn’t that when these players don’t turn up. When we want this team to win , they don’t. When expections are high , it’s down to earth with a bang. So who knows , what is going to happen. Dyche might even reinstate Keane. Anything is possible.
Ramble over . Have a good day folks . Up the Toffees.
Ps. Let’s hope that DCL is fit . But if not , then how about playing both Simms and Maupay up top. See how that goes. Sacrifice Iwobi. If we need goals , then let’s have a proper go. Awful position , as I’ve said , but let’s not go down with a whimper . Let’s give this our best shot . Let’s for a change , show some fight . We are playing two clubs that will be thinking about their summer holidays . So let’s have a proper go at them .
Ramble , now over.

Lessons not learned from the JWP free kick then. Put someone on that post. Pickford is too small to get across
lol lol lol lol lol
He was in the wrong position to start with.

City put a 2 man dummy wall in front of ours, the theory being that the 2 men move apart and the ball goes though any gap and in the net.
Rather than the usual - your wall guards half the goal and the keeper covers the rest. Pickford, off his own bat or on pre-issued Instructions...I wouldn't know if it's a regular City ploy, but Dyche would.

Any way Pickford is thus 100% committed to cover the 2 man false wall gambit, three quarters of the goal (not in the middle) away from the other post.

Would he have saved it stood where he normally - maybe, maybe not, but he was never saving it once they double bluffed him.

Pickford gets a pass from me - damned if he does, damned if he doesn't - he's earned his corn this season

Edit; I agree with the man on the post

Last edited:
It's not in our own hands if Leicester win tomorrow night.
Spot on . So let’s hope that Leicester City are beat. Can’t stand Liverpool , but let’s hope that they can beat Leicester. We all know the scenario s. Just hope that we can pick up more points , and put pressure on Leeds and Leicester . Because I have this sinking feeling , that when the pressure is on , and if we go into the last day , all square , that it’s us that folds first.
It’s like those horses that I back at times , neck and neck , then my horse fades first.
Sorry , I’m floundering here. Just hope that we can win our next two matches . Maybe even 4 points will do. But who knows . I’m supporting Liverpool tonight though.

No 5ft 11 inches -plus short arms lol - no he sets the wall - his positioning was identical to Southampton Ward Prowse free kick similar area, but hey hero last week with that pen save - good job we won & by that margin now .....
He's 6' 1" or 185cm everywhere I've looked and his fingertips are about 6 inches above his knees when he's standing up straight
in the pre-match line ups.
That short arms stuff is bs.

Status
Not open for further replies.