Match Thread Everton v Leicester City - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
....might be a case for saying Leicester are more effective away from home. I imagine Ancelotti will not set us up to be too expansive, but surely Digne has to play LB if he’s fit.

I regard them pretty much as direct rivals these days, and over the last few seasons.

They have consistency by and large, and we are trying to develop that consistency.

This is an opportunity. At home, even in these circumstances, and with Vardy out. I think that's a bigger blow for them than Doucouré for us.

Let's get on the front foot and be aggressive but controlled.

3 points here is a big win, and we should go for it. It is not a night for too much caution to pick up a point.

We haven't played on the front foot for most of the season (latterly) and have been quite conservative.. I don't expect us to change from that for this game.
With that in mind I expect the 4 CBs to be rolled out again .. but Digne in front at LM. Provides extra resilience but is a far better outlet than the other midfielders. Iwobi right with James in front of him as RW. Richy LW. Sig and Davies in the middle.

Gomes will come on as a sub again...

Think that is ok... there is a fair amount of creativity in that. Davies, Gomes and Sig together from the start as midfield three and I'm turning off.

We haven't played on the front foot for most of the season (latterly) and have been quite conservative.. I don't expect us to change from that for this game.
With that in mind I expect the 4 CBs to be rolled out again .. but Digne in front at LM. Provides extra resilience but is a far better outlet than the other midfielders. Iwobi right with James in front of him as RW. Richy LW. Sig and Davies in the middle.

Think that is ok... there is a fair amount of creativity in that. Davies, Gomes and Sig together from the start as midfield three and I'm turning off.
You say that now but you'll be watching from behind the couch.

So you're saying a back 4, two centre mids, Digne and Iwobi at LM and RM, then Dom, Richarlison and James?

To be fair, that would give us a pretty good shot at winning, since we'd have 12 players on the pitch.

....might be a case for saying Leicester are more effective away from home. I imagine Ancelotti will not set us up to be too expansive, but surely Digne has to play LB if he’s fit.
Personally I agree Eggs, but I don't think Carlo will go with that.

Leicester, along with City, are probably the form team and they look pretty strong all over the pitch. They will undoubtedly miss Vardey, but they have absolute quality in midfield with Ndidi, Tielemans and Maddison, and some genuine pace and guile out wide with Barnes. Worryingly Cengiz Under also showed signs at the weekend he is now settling in England. The lad is the real deal IMO and I'm hoping that Rogers will revert back to Albrighton in that position.

We're obviously missing Allan and Doucoure for the game, and it's how Carlo lines up there against arguably the best midfield in the league that may determine the outcome. Personally, I would throw Mason Holgate in there alongside Davies and Gomes. I'd switch Godfrey to RB to deal with the threat of Barnes, and bring Digne back in. Richy, James and DCL in their usual positions up front.

But I feel Carlo will play it safe and go with the same system that did so well against Wolves away, a flat back 4 and midfield 4, with James playing in a 10 role behind DCL. He'll play the CBs across the back 4, Gomes and Davies in the middle with Digne playing left mid and Richy right mid. It will be a very solid formation that will likely concede possession stats to Leicester, whilst being very dangerous on the break and from set pieces.

Either way I can see a very close game from 2 finely matched sides with a draw or narrow win the likely outcome. I have a feeling that DCL could be the difference between the teams. His strength and power can unsettle the Leicester defence and we'll always be a threat from set pieces with Digne and James providing the ammunition for the likes of DCL, Richy, Keane and Mina.

First goal could be key. 2-1 home win. ;)

So you're saying a back 4, two centre mids, Digne and Iwobi at LM and RM, then Dom, Richarlison and James?

To be fair, that would give us a pretty good shot at winning, since we'd have 12 players on the pitch.
oops.... knew I should do it diagramatically .. Now I'm confused again... I want us to go 442 with James as second striker. Richy and Digne on the wings.. Davies Sig in the middle.. but won't happen. so had that in mind but cocked up the numbers with a 433 ... sig misses out then. Feel Iwobi works best behind James.. everyone else too central and creates a gap behind James.

Easier to work out if Digne is LB... if he's fit he plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.