Match Thread Everton v Leeds United - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said before far too many passengers at Everton, its not up for debate either many of em couldn't give two fiddles about wearing the Everton top
This. The full time end game image of delph waddling off like a fat duck not a care in the world and Bernard just behind him with a smirk was pretty galling. We are the equivalent of the after dinner circuit for has been politicians. Easy money.

I have began to calm a bit,so a few (longer) thoughts.

We are still wide open defensively. Pickford saved us a few times today, but it was another game we could have easily conceded 2+ goals. We've tried lots of combinations and few have worked. Doucoure was excellent last week but offered little protection this week. Not sure what we do. I hope we continue with todays back 3 as I think it's our most balanced back 3.

We remain to me quite an average team. We don't see to be able to deal with anything out of the ordinary. Injuries, suspensions, positional changes, decisions going against us etc and a lot of players go to pot. If we can get on a bit of a run, where everything goes ok, we will do well, but take us off the straight and narrow and we struggle. In truth Ancelotti is not helping this process currently, as he's changing a lot and it must be affecting confidence.

In terms of the specifities of the game, Leeds did well. As had been mentioned they are workmanlike and cover a lot of grass, and make you do things that are uncomfortable or alien to teams. The best way around this seemed to be when we broke the press and went past a player. Once you did that you could often get quite close to their box. Richarlinson did it well 1st half, and Allan well in the 2nd. I was surprised that Doucoure, and particularly Godfrey and Holgate didn't look to do this more. They are all capable of doing so, and it would have presented them with far more problems. Keane had a go 1st half and did it well. Far from me to say, but I'd have been saying to our defenders to carry the ball forward a lot more.

Our general form is now pretty poor. Burnley becomes an important game, and we have to hope, against better teams, where maybe we can sit a bit deeper and counter it wil suit us. Who knows. It's been a while since we had an allround good performance though, and that must be a worry.

When we had that run at the start of the season I think as fans we did what we always do, we got carried away and overrated us as a team, when in reality we are, as you say "an average team."

We aren’t fit enough - it’s evident from the lack of chances we create after half-time.

godfrey should have done better, fit or not, I agree.

bad transfer strategy leaving us short - Brands, I’m fed up of him

Carlo needs to be better. Lack of system, lack of plan. Changing things that worked one week and not trusting younger players and instead going square pegs in round holes.

half of the squad aren’t good enough

it all adds up but I can’t see how anybody can watch us and say we look fit

i watched the game with two Leeds fans and a neutral today and after 40 minutes all of them were asking if we always look this knackered. It needs to change or we won’t get anywhere

Its not just fitness, its a mentality thing.

We were usually second to every second ball and lost out in 50 50 challenges. We have too many passengers who don't really care if we win or lose. The result doesn't matter to them.

There's no expectation or standards to.be met at Everton. Is it any wonder players come here and aren't all that arsed.

That Godfrey mistake just summed it all up. Get out and stop the shot, its basic stuff. But he didn't show the determination to do it. Hes not the only one by any means, its just an obvious example.

A LGBTV XI would beat this lot at the minute
...no doubt. I guess you might make the claim that with LGBTVs, having 'come out', and shouted to the world their 'unconformist' sexualities, an albatross has been removed from about their necks. Our players on the other hand are yet to claim such freedom and remain weighed down by such. It's been proposed a relationship exists between being homesick and the secret desire to dress up in women's clothes. I wonder whether the club should hold an 'open' day wherein our lads can all come out and declare they best relate to being a lesbian, or bisexual, or transvestite etc etc. Yes, it sounds a little outlandish, but desperate straits call for desperate measures and it is beyond dispute that our footie team is pretty desperate.

This. The full time end game image of delph waddling off like a fat duck not a care in the world and Bernard just behind him with a smirk was pretty galling. We are the equivalent of the after dinner circuit for has been politicians. Easy money.

They would have been out the door last June if I was in charge, with Sigs.

Sigs, Delph, Bernard. Cash Cow f****.

A disgrace is all they are

Everton's mentality is we don't know our formation and what we are doing, come av a go if you think you are hard enough
One of the biggest problems we have right now is that there is no continuity at all. Some of it is enforced with the injuries. Some of it is not and I think we need to sort that side of it out.

Its not just fitness, its a mentality thing.

We were usually second to every second ball and lost out in 50 50 challenges. We have too many passengers who don't really care if we win or lose. The result doesn't matter to them.

There's no expectation or standards to.be met at Everton. Is it any wonder players come here and aren't all that arsed.

That Godfrey mistake just summed it all up. Get out and stop the shot, its basic stuff. But he didn't show the determination to do it. Hes not the only one by any means, its just an obvious example.

Carlo needs to be better.

Half of the team that started today is new.

They were knackered after 40 minutes.

It's not all of our issue, no, but until we get fitter, we won't compete.

On top of that, we have players who aren't good / brave enough, and a manager making crap decisions.

On top of that, we have a DoF / transfer strategy that is incredibly naive.

Of course fitness has something to do with it.

I'm not saying it ALL boils down to fitness, but we are unfit. And until we're fit, we won't compete for 90 minutes.
I still just don't fully buy that. I mean why weren't we unfit when we outplayed Spurs for 90 minutes or when we put in a strong showing at Palace? It can't just be applied to games we don't do well in because fitness isn't a thing that comes and goes.

Leeds are a nice team to watch, they play good football, I'll give them that. They are also very cynical, know when to stop you playing, by fair means and foul. I lost count today over the fouls they were making, cynical, professional fouls all over the pitch, they got one booking throughout and another one right near the end, Kavanagh, was far too friendly with them and let them off with far too much. They do close down very well, their coach has them well drilled and they have a tall commanding keeper.
Allan was our best player by a Country mile today and I thought we played quite well and should have got something out of that game.
Thought the three centre backs played well and looked good together and will get better the more we play, but we missed our fullback today I thought. Iwobi had another good game, but Ritchie today was off his game and I think needs a goal. We will play worse and win, Leeds are a decent team.

Status
Not open for further replies.