Match Thread Everton v Crystal Palace - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our three or theirs?

Our three had limited space, and that's what the issue may be if we persist with the system we started with today in every game.

Away from home, I think the Bernard-Richarlison-Walcott-Gylfi front four will do wonders. They all work hard and all have the pace and quality (not Gyfli pace wise, like) to create on the counter and, like we saw v Leicester, exploit the gaps left by a home team coming out.

At home against sides who sit deep, we may have to look at something a little bit different. The space just wasn't there today. But it's great to have the options.

Agree for the most part, however they didn’t strike me as working together well. Some poor decision making and finishing. Think that’s the worst I’ve seen Richarlison play

Giving MotM to Jordan Pickfords' big toe. Obviously that save kept us in the game and set us up to take all three points. It could have ended up all so different for us today.

Giving MotM to Jordan Pickfords' big toe. Obviously that save kept us in the game and set us up to take all three points. It could have ended up all so different for us today.

It was a great save, deliberate and well executed.......after having gone the wrong way......

Woy bemoaning his luck again....

Deja Vu?

RoyHodgson-banging-head-wall-WestBrom-1325527686t.gif

Is that the face his missus sees twice a week.

Pickford - 9 - Did everything required of him and more with that save. His distribution was top notch as well.
Coleman - 6 - Unlucky for the pen, he just got done with a clumsy trailing leg. Overall defended well and actually looked more like his old self going forward.
Keane - 8 - Superb. He's really growing in confidence and looks a leader at the back. Still some way to go but no complaints today.
Zouma - 6 - Thought he was actually a bit clumsy and leggy at times. A few rash decisions to dive in and the odd sloppy pass. Still decent but can do better.
Digne - 7 - He oozes quality when he's on the ball. Didn't get much chance to cross in today (due to Wan-Bissaka who is excellent), but kept that side quiet.
Gueye - 6 - His passing was a bit off in the first half and I don't think he had his best game defensively either. Probably not fully fit. Still a vital cog, though.
Gomes - 7 - Grew into the game and he's very neat and tidy in possession, hopefully will be more adventurous when fully fit. Promising.
Walcott - 5 - Thought he probably had his quietest game for us in a while, but think that was as much to do with Palace's deep line as anything else.
Sigurdsson - 6 - Unlucky not to score. Played well when we got the ball into him on the edge of the box. Decent.
Bernard - 6 - A bit like Walcott, just didn't have much space. Showed some nice touches and bits of skill though, especially when he drifted centrally.
Richarlison - 6 - Feeding off scraps and had to do a lot of battling. Probably not suited to playing central against a deep line.

Lookman - 7 - Finally, he's getting into gear. The game really suited him - it needed someone with pace to drive with the ball. Great cross for DCL.
Calvert-Lewin - 7 - His pace came to good use because they were pushing up. Right place, right time and a good header for the goal.
Tosun - 7 - Linked the play well and took his goal brilliantly. He's a good striker who will work hard. He just won't suit every game.

Silva - 8 - In hindsight, perhaps the wrong starting XI, but it would have been weird to change that front four really. Won it with his subs.

Agree for the most part, however they didn’t strike me as working together well. Some poor decision making and finishing. Think that’s the worst I’ve seen Richarlison play

The issue is they were miles apart. There was literally one point where there was at least 15 yards between all of our midfielders and attackers. We were attacking in spurts rather than moving up through the pitch, which is what we did in the second half to better effect.

Went with Keane for being solid again, could just as easily have been Pickers though.
Three on the bounce, another clean sheet and the Silva revolution continues he deserves his own MoM for those inspired substitutions.
Thought Theo just wasn't at the races today.

Status
Not open for further replies.