Match Thread Everton v Crystal Palace - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought we were poor today, better teams will hump us. We looked sluggish and short of ideas until the subs. Our central defence and midfield are still woefully short of the kind of quality we are aiming for.
Great to see Coleman back mind
Take a little credit to Palace, they defended really well, maybe we should score earlier, think Keane was great today, Seamus was dissapoitment and in few situations Richarlison and Bernard should give ball sooner then they did.

Pickford gets my vote for the penalty save.

On the whole though we were generally really good I thought. Not spectacular but only a single pass or inches away from goodness on more than one occasion.

The most notable thing for me was that today's game was a great 90 minutes of football which I don't think I've seen us do in a long while at home personally, it's normally one half.

The second half atmosphere in the ground was pretty boss too, everyone was up for it and I genuinely felt like it was only a matter of time before we bagged.

Up the toffees. Had a really great day.

Gomez looks absolute class, two footed and so comfortable on the ball, the best players seem to have that extra bit of time. Reminded me of Gareth Barry. One particular ball he pinged out to Digne (another class act)who controlled it with his chest stands out. Absolutely elated to win a tough game.

We should have scored in the first 15mins, looked decent going forward but no end product. Bernard & Richarlison kept the ball for too long at times. Done well to keep a clean sheet, Pickford was class & got my vote... Penalty save and a few other decent stops, nice distribution too! We struggled to contain Zaha, I thought he played well.. but overall we did deserve the points. I must say the ref was poor today, several wrong decisions for both teams.

Gomez looks absolute class, two footed and so comfortable on the ball, the best players seem to have that extra bit of time. Reminded me of Gareth Barry. One particular ball he pinged out to Digne (another class act)who controlled it with his chest stands out. Absolutely elated to win a tough game.

I think once he got into his stride he was impressive.

At times in the first half it passed him by, but that's to be expected given he's just coming into a new league and he's had his injury.

He's also chronically slow to get off the mark but once he does he travels with the ball really well - and we've missed that.

He's going to be a good player i reckon, will just need time. Not sure I'd be starting him next week as I think it's a game where we're going to have less of the ball and it may be a case of having Davies in there to add some energy and bite, with Gomes to bring on if needed.

Great to have the options - and it's having those quality options which is what won us the game today!

Keane for me. Seemed to be forever clearing the ball, probably had as many attempts on goal as anyone else, just a pity he couldn’t convert.

Same for me. Gana very good today but considering the stick Keane has got in the past 12 months and the injury he suffered he has improved immensely - just great to see.

Front three were surprisingly poor.

Our three or theirs?

Our three had limited space, and that's what the issue may be if we persist with the system we started with today in every game.

Away from home, I think the Bernard-Richarlison-Walcott-Gylfi front four will do wonders. They all work hard and all have the pace and quality (not Gyfli pace wise, like) to create on the counter and, like we saw v Leicester, exploit the gaps left by a home team coming out.

At home against sides who sit deep, we may have to look at something a little bit different. The space just wasn't there today. But it's great to have the options.

Status
Not open for further replies.