Match Thread Everton v Crystal Palace - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bernard was the winger who didn't work all day. He should have been off at HT.

He did work hard Dave.

It just wasn't working for him - i.e. clicking. But he saw plenty of the ball. Walcott was crap in the first half but came good in the second.

The change was right though

@Khalekan - Walcott did indeed come into it, but Lookman at that time was the right player to bring on. He prefers to run with the ball - Walcott is all about movement off the ball, which is why, tbf, he probably had an ineffective game (there was no space in behind to run into).

I'm not kidding.

Tell me what he got wrong there today?

The Richarlison non-penalty in the second half where Tomkins was all over him, the head injury to Tomkins (not him blowing up when we had the ball, but rather him not blowing up when Palace were breaking forward), Tomkins shoving Richarlison over in the first half on the edge of the box and the Zaha penalty (for which there was contact but that was not why he went down - that was because he threw himself down).

There were also a succession of fouls on Coleman in the first fifteen minutes, which could only really be explained as a tactic to try and injure him given that they were all of a same type and in the same place.

Two blatant fouls on Richarlison by Tomkins, one of which was more a pen than the one he gave them, which wasn't enough contact to give in the first place
If they were in the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half I confess I didn't see that spell. So I'd accept that one. Howver, he is a good ref and one that I;d welcome reffing a Liverpool game as he's not swayed by them.

We could have had 5 if we had a main man up front from the start.
More than happy for Richarlison to play up top away from home when he can expect to have the space to run into and use his speed. Invariably he won't get that at home when I'd like to see Tosun play. Also Walcott is more effective away from home too. Offensively we need different tactics/lineups for different games.

The Richarlison non-penalty in the second half where Tomkins was all over him, the head injury to Tomkins (not him blowing up when we had the ball, but rather him not blowing up when Palace were breaking forward), Tomkins shoving Richarlison over in the first half on the edge of the box and the Zaha penalty (for which there was contact but that was not why he went down - that was because he threw himself down).

There were also a succession of fouls on Coleman in the first fifteen minutes, which could only really be explained as a tactic to try and injure him given that they were all of a same type and in the same place.
He realised that there was a possible head injury issue only when we had the ball. That was undersatndable. The foul on Richarlison I didn't see as i wasn't watching the game for 5 minutes it happened in. The penalty for them was spot on.

As a team, we're better suited to playing on the counter (especially with the front four that started today).

It's how we play at the other end which is the main thing.
Exactly. United will commit bodies forward and we are well set up to exploit that on the break.

I can’t see Mina getting a start yet as Keane and Zouma are doing everything asked of them.

The 80 mins will have done Gomes good and we saw glimpses today of how his inclusion will allow Gana to concentrate on screening the defence.

We’re looking good and I expect a point at Old Trafford. Not often I have said that.

Status
Not open for further replies.