Match Thread Everton v Brighton - Preview, Match Report and MotM poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it wasn't, actually. The other option was actually to change shape and make up for the loss of a key player who is the only player we have that comes close to being able to play in a midfield two.

Benitez decided that the answer was Tom Davies playing the same role.

You're doing the thing that FB92 does. Acting like we don't all blame the players. We do, but it's not mutually exclusive is it. The players are bad and the manager is making them even worse.
It's properly exhausting to have to keep telling people that we will still be rubbish regardless of what shape we play, or whoever the manager is.

I couldn't care less about Benitez personally, he's not a great coach and his style of play is pretty dismal to watch, but in reality, he's a fraction of our problem compared to the playing staff.

Say we put Andre Gomes in a 3 man midfield - we'd only concede from one of the 50 direct free kicks he gives away each week. And that's literally our only other option. Have you ever seen a team so badly assembled as this?

For the first time in a while when we've been horrenous ive come out and im not even giving any blame to the players. Supporters were confused about the line up and plan.

The players looked the same, they looked confused as to how to do things. That comes down to the manager for me. Benitez historically cant defend set pieces, we can't expect our team to start doing this.

It's properly exhausting to have to keep telling people that we will still be rubbish regardless of what shape we play, or whoever the manager is.

I couldn't care less about Benitez personally, he's not a great coach and his style of play is pretty dismal to watch, but in reality, he's a fraction of our problem compared to the playing staff.

Say we put Andre Gomes in a 3 man midfield - we'd only concede from one of the 50 direct free kicks he gives away each week. And that's literally our only other option. Have you ever seen a team so badly assembled as this?
We wouldn't be this rubbish.

I know enough about football, and cover enough of it, to know how good teams play and even average teams.

Managers are meant to coach and improve players day in, day out in training.

We got 59 points last season. Should have got more, should got Europe. In most seasons, 59 points gets you 8th.

we're now very much in a relegation scrap with a manager who has come in and fallen out with the only few decent players we have, instilled an even worse style of play and who has not been a remotely decent manager in 10 years.

I like Doucoure but that was next level bad today.
He doesn't fit in our mf with either of Allan or gomes, two of them needs to be shipped preferably allan and Gomes, doucs has an eye for quality pass here and there and that's all about him, he isn't physically dominating either, neither have the pace. I think better to get rid of him as well after a season or two .

Teams with worse players at their disposal are playing better football and getting better results than we are.

Can anyone care to explain why.

The reason is mainly because we have an outdated and overrated kopite manager in charge.

You were all warned how this would turn out. And Moshiri needs to act now and make a grovelling apology for humiliating the fans.

Sitting in the Oak. Just travelled overnight (8 hrs + a few either side) and going back tonight. Never felt such a disconnect from the club. First time in decades I have questioned why I do it. I ask myself who my favourite player is. Couldn't give a toss about any of them, honestly. Gray and Gordon played well today but, as no one else seems to give a toss, I'm wondering why I do. To make it worse, the RS have just gone two up. FFS!!!!

He doesn't fit in our mf with either of Allan or gomes, two of them needs to be shipped preferably allan and Gomes, doucs has an eye for quality pass here and there and that's all about him, he isn't physically dominating either, neither have the pace. I think better to get rid of him as well after a season or two .

Bit of a dramatic shout for me.

Neither of them can play in a two. It hurts both of them.

Both would have been 10x better with a decent midfielder in with them.

Buit no, stick with 2 in hte middle getting overrun.

How can argue that point when it was same formation and players that you say we're decent in the second half. Surely it is those players to blame for the crap we saw before half time.
Because of Southampton, Burnley, Liverpool, C Palace, Brentford, Arsenal, Wolves, today etc where we have continually surrendered the lead and initiative (and then finished most of those games strongly) without the manager addressing it tactically

Just back from the game - happy new year Everton you complete bunch of arse.

Benitez has had the best part of 3 weeks with no game, and that's the best he can come up with?! Christ.3 at the back, no proper lb, two ineffective cms, a striker that hasn't kicked a ball for 5 months on pens then rondon comes on, while Simms and Dobbin get splinters - complete shambles.

He's a tactical dinosaur, far too inflexible - made an average Brighton side look boss.

Don't see it getting any better with incoming players as he's just a crap manager. All three goals are too easy and so preventable, it wasn't great football that done us - it's the manager and players not taking responsibility.

Fair play to flash Gordon, gave everything as did gray - rest were awful.

With the squad available to us today, we should easily be beating Brighton at home. Why we went 3 at the back is a mystery - Gbamin, Onyango or even Iwobi could have played centrally and Gordon and Gray pushed up alongside DCL.

It’s getting to the stage where I lost faith in both Koeman and Silva - The random “try something different and hope it works” phase. That, for me, is a sign he’s out of ideas.

Of course, I’m concerned that whoever we brought in to replace Benitez wouldn’t be any better, but it’s hard to conceive at this stage that he’d be any worse.

I say that, knowing that Benitez isn’t going anywhere soon, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.