Match Thread Everton v Borehamwood - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
What triggered the chant from the GS “ f*** the tories never heard that before.
When they started fighting in the Bullens(Boreham Wood, amongst themselves) and they baited us all night with "your fans are [Poor language removed]"

They were having a ball, their Final so to be fair to them fair play but was weird when they started knocking lumps out of each other, Hertfordshire is a tory heartland so all in all a fair chant!

This was my first trip to goodison in 20 years. Was a regular growing up, but now live in Derby so getting there is a pain. Anyway, took my 4 kids with me for their 1st ever match, and they were awestruck. Reminded me of my 1st match, which was also under the lights. It was amazing and I felt quite emotional. It was my 13 yo daughters birthday and she's a die hard evertonian. She loved it. Couldn't stop grinning for the 1st 20 mins even though we were pedestrian to say the least. She sang her little heart out even though many around us didn't. Got involved with the "who are yer" chants after the goal. Even asked if she was allowed to replace "red side" with "red sh*#e". She said she wouldn't replace hell with "f^*k" :D. Anyway, to the fans sat around us, you were awesome. Asked others to stop standing so the kids could see properly. I appreciate it's a footy match and people often stand, but to see the consideration for the younger fans was great! Thanks.

Anyhow, to stay on topic, watching on the TV does not highlight how slow we were to move the ball. Keane takes about 15 mins to decide who he's going to pass it too. Saw the gestures of the keeper and other defenders asking him to play the ball rather than think about the pass for so long. Gordon was energetic and had a desire to keep going. How half of our players can't keep the ball from blazing over the bar is mind boggling. My daughter can hit better shots than that, seriously. She spend hours in the garden with the samba goal smashing them into the corners. Was great to get back, but not the greatest game. Boreham's fans sang for the 90. We only got animated after the goal. I appreciate that we've put up with turgid football for too many years but wasn't the atmosphere I remembered.

TL : DR

Thoroughly enjoyed myself. Kids loved it. Game could've been better!

I don't think it's because we don't practice them its just that we haven't got anybody who can actually cross the ball while ensuring it gets above 3ft 6in off the deck
When you put a cross in, just aim for the penalty spot, goalie is not sure whether stay on his line or come out, causes uncertainty.

In games where you play against 2 banks of 5, rather than 4, you need players who will commit defenders to create the extra man. We had only one player who took players on last night - Gordon.

Most good teams have a couple of forwards who do it, a midfielder who carries the ball, and 2 full backs who do it. We had 1 player. We are one of the slowest teams in top flight football I've ever seen and have far too many players signed to play a style of football that is not suitable to English football and not what Everton is about.
I think every manager that comes in thinks 'a sure look they have splashed big cash on loads of players over the years. I should be able to work a good first 11 out of this mess at least'... then the reality sinks in.

Pretty passing, Pedantic, lacked penetration until later in 2nd half when Richie came on and things speeded up.

I also think Richie's goal should have stood, it was off his shoulder but there you are VAR strikes again.

Hahahaha yerssssss

Cry more about how a Premier league support couldn't be arsed against a non league team on a Thursday night.

He'll be in the pub talking about it still in 20 years time. The story more exaggerated as the years go. 'And then I cornered a few of them pheasants outside and told them to get off the doll, thats why you're team will be relegated. You're sad cause you are on the doll.'.

He'll be in the pub talking about it still in 20 years time. The story more exaggerated as the years go. 'And then I cornered a few of them pheasants outside and told them to get off the doll, thats why you're team will be relegated. You're sad cause you are on the doll.'.
Literally their world Cup final and for us it's basically a chore. Like taking out the bins.

And they are genuinely amazed that the atmosphere wasn't like Boca-River.

It was also a really weird chant coming from them considering that they where dead quiet for most of the game. Today was like a cup final for them they where really meh. I've seen us play plenty of lower/none league sides at Goodison over the years and pretty much all of their fans put tonight's lot to shame.
I’m genuinely puzzled by your post. I was at the back of the away fans’ stand and we sung loudly and passionately throughout. Couldn’t hear Everton sing at all but that may be because we were in such an enclosed space (proper old skool with obstructed views and wooden seats). A few of the Wood fans were being unnecessarily abusive to the nearby EFC fans behind the goal but the atmosphere was amazing and we were really loud. Ask your fans at the other end!

I’m genuinely puzzled by your post. I was at the back of the away fans’ stand and we sung loudly and passionately throughout. Couldn’t hear Everton sing at all but that may be because we were in such an enclosed space (proper old skool with obstructed views and wooden seats). A few of the Wood fans were being unnecessarily abusive to the nearby EFC fans behind the goal but the atmosphere was amazing and we were really loud. Ask your fans at the other end!
Nah, sorry mate, but I was in the Lower Bullens just a few yards to your right. You had a core of about 30 or 40 who were fairly constant TBH, but they were only occasionally joined by the majority of your lot and it was never that 'loud'
For 'enthusiasm' I would score you 8/10 but volume wise maybe 4 or 5.
Having said that, you are right to say the Everton fans were extremely quiet, but then we didn't have a lot to shout about and it was your big day out.
Hope you had a good day BTW ;)

I had a top night out. Loads of friendly Scousers, as always. I’m Chelsea when I’m not Boreham Wood and TBH if it were nil-nil at Stamford Bridge against a bunch of non-leaguers, we wouldn’t exactly be shouting the roof off. But honestly, it was really loud throughout, with the sound reverberating off the old tin roof.
Good luck against Palace.

We performed like we did because we had City against us playing great attacking football.

Boreham Wood shut up shop after 0.01 seconds and put 11 behind the ball.
I think we did fine in the end, but that first half was ponderous. Not enough attack in the lineup, not enough attacking intent in the play.

Any of DVB, Alli, even El Ghazi in the lineup instead of 5 at the back and we win more comfortably, but of course they were cup tied.

Still - could have done more to get on the front foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.