Match Thread Everton v Aston Villa - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that for now, we should be happy to be knocking on the door of the European places after what's been a really weird season for most teams.
We've laid a few ghosts to rest too, such as winning at Spurs, Arsenal and the cesspit, and we've had some encouraging performances, individually (DCL, James) and as a team.
We've had two decent cup runs too.
I for one trust Carlo 100%, despite some awful performances, and think we are just a transfer window or two away from becoming a really decent side.
We are terrible mate.

I think I will genuinely faint when we win a game at home we should win ,when you think it can’t possibly get worse at goodison they manage to usurp even that ,happy to ignore the rest of the season ,the majority of this squad needs absolutely chasing out the club in the summer ,also Carlo try make us entertaining to watch it’s been a chore for so long now

So disappointed...thought we really had a chance to push on. I am the eternal optimist so I still believe we can r ake max points from the remainder if the season. But, this game immediately reminded me of an immortal American sports talk show moment where a Raiders fan compares being a fan to having an alcoholic dad that shows up at his birthday party drunk causing a scene. Thats how I felt about this game. It took the colour out of the weekend.

Be nice for us never to have to say this but post Moyes I've said it 6 out of 8 seasons.

Shocking from the club and its staff. Like we are cursed no matter what we throw at it we are perma crap.
I think the only post Moyes season I’ve genuinely enjoyed was Martinez’s first season.

Our football this season is disgustingly boring though

I think the only post Moyes season I’ve genuinely enjoyed was Martinez’s first season.

I wouldn't mind this quite so much (I wouldn't like it at all mind) if we were really effective at stopping the other team from playing.

However we seem to make every team we play look better than they usually are.

A win last night would have put us level with the Hammers and above the RS and Spurs, there is the real sickening part of last night. What the hell are these players thinking when they step out onto the pitch?
They are probably thinking about putting there training into practice on the football pitch, which begs the question why are they practicing so much sideways and backwards passing in training.
There are teams much worse than us but not many actually more negative.

What sickens me is it doesn't look like they are giving their all at times. Losing doesn't hurt them. That's why we badly miss the crowd to make sure they know it hurts us!! We have a team who accept mediocrity. And it's been this way for year's and years. We don't have anyone who is willing to grab the game and win it and drive us on. James could possibly but he is never fit for long enough. We don't have leaders.
Agree! And James won't be here much longer anyway. Bet this squad have nightmares of a Roy Keane being signed !

Last edited:
What sickens me is it doesn't look like they are giving their all at times. Losing doesn't hurt them. That's why we badly miss the crowd to make sure they know it hurts us!! We have a team who accept mediocrity. And it's been this way for year's and years. We don't have anyone who is willing to grab the game and win it and drive us on. James could possibly but he is never fit for long enough. We don't have leaders.

Yeh, the players love this. Pickford would be a nervous wreck again, Keane scared of the ball and Ross Barkley laughing from the Midlands.

They are probably thinking about putting there training into practice on the football pitch, which begs the question why are they practicing so much sideways and backwards passing in training.
There are teams much worse than us but not many actually more negative.
They don't they just simply aren't brave enough during the game to try forward passes more. Nobody takes responsibility, it is on the players. Carlo has said he wants them vertical passing more but they're not taking the gameplan into games.

Well said.

I pity Everton. We've lost all that gritty domestic + overseas mix, youthful + pro experience with a British manager, replaced by some misfits hauled together by 6+ managers. Directionless and lacking leadership on the field.

And we get beat by lower spending Villa, West Ham, Leicester, who run on precisely the values we've paid out to de-prioritise in at Goodison...

Martinez dined out on a team that had exactly those qualities embued by West Ham this season: organised effective defence and midfield, who may lack an out and out striker but show what team ethic means. You're bang on re Martinez - He grabbed Lukaku (fair play, about the only signing apart from Dolufeu to live in the memory) and bagged enough points to make CL in most other seasons certainly including this one. Perhaps unlucky then , but totally lacked the ability to maintain team ethics re: work and organisation.

Then the rot started, and you've nailed it.

I think to put character in the side you need senior domestic players out there. We don't have any save perhaps Coleman who I love but isn't a 'leader' as such, but is committed. I can't see who's coming through the ranks which is more worrying. When the sticky plasters of more cash than character drop off. we might be in trouble. Especially if Covid reduces crowd capacity long-term. See Blackburn, Newcastle etc for what can happen next.

Build, don't buy to fix the team long-term (including the manager). Potter, Dyche, Howe, Moyes, Rogers etc have achieved far more than Martinez, Silva, Koeman, Ancelotti when you consider cash they're working on. Why does Everton show so little belief in our own? It's loathsome.

Bloody awful performance that, I live for the day when we start putting in through balls into opposition box, rather than our own half attempting to build on possession.

Can't be doing with Godfrey and Holgate as a two at centre back, just not enough experience, was written in the stars them two Friday night.

Pickford man of the match.

Bloody awful performance that, I live for the day when we start putting in through balls into opposition box, rather than our own half attempting to build on possession.

Can't be doing with Godfrey and Holgate as a two at centre back, just not enough experience, was written in the stars them two Friday night.

Pickford man of the match.
Yeah agreed, thing is it’s all well and good your centre backs keeping possession if you’re Man City and have the opposition camped in their defensive third - less so if you’re Everton and you only appear to have about 2 players capable of passing

Status
Not open for further replies.