Match Thread Everton v Arsenal - Monday December 6th. 8pm

Everton MOTM vs Arsenal

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
In that image his foot would have to have been about 2 foot off the ground. As can be seen from this angle (which was shown during the review) it was a couple of inches. As Dale Johnson explained the technology calculates the players position based on the angles available

View attachment 147792

Right, but look at the gap here.

1638836040091.png

Look at the gap between the two lines.

Now look at Richarlisons foot.

Are you honestly telling me that Richarlisons foot being an inch or so off the ground would result in a gap like that which is basically the same size as his foot?

I'd have accepted where the black line is here - as said, I do think Richarlison was offside.

1638836156528.png

... but the kicker is I think the VAR line then would have been borderline, so I honestly think they've manipulated those dots (again, not symmetrical or the same size) to give the outcome they want. Because I can't think of a reasonable way any technology would be able to accurately depict the distance a foot is off the floor and the outcome that would then make using pixellated imagery. They'd have to have sensors on the players feet.

Makes no odds if his foot is in the air or not - it's still his foot.

FF9DsLmX0AE0UZN

I've enlarged the circles (which aren't even the same size or symmetrical in the ones they use incidentally) to be both on the tip of the players foot, literally the last pixel, and then I've put a light blue circle where Atwell put the dot.

View attachment 147785

It's too big a discrepancy.
Should offside be based on toes? I think it should be body in line because if there is daylight that's an actual advantage. I thought they'd increased tolerance this season? I think it's mad they look to disallow goals on such tiny margins myself the game(should be) is about goals not pedantry.

A couple have pointed out the huge gaps in our back line we had. There was at least 2 occasions in the 2nd half where we were wide open.

Coleman made a great, goal saving, match winning, block at 1-1.

Need to get that defensive unit better drilled.

I think they're just really poor footballers.

Keane is awful, Holgate is somehow worse, Coleman is finished and Godfrey is... god knows what he is tbh

But yeah, a large part of the reason we won tonight was because Arsenal were dreadful.

A couple have pointed out the huge gaps in our back line we had. There was at least 2 occasions in the 2nd half where we were wide open.

Coleman made a great, goal saving, match winning, block at 1-1.

Need to get that defensive unit better drilled.
I think the emotion of the game got to the players and it went a bit bonkers at 1-1. Luckily we scored the winner and should have made it 3-1 but it was a bit too like basketball for me before we scored the 2nd.

But should offside be based on toes? I think it should be body in line because if there is daylight that's an actual advantage. I thought they'd increased tolerance this season? I think it's mad they look to disallow goals on such tiny margins myself the game is about goals not pedantry.

I think if you're going to use technology, there has to be a 'cutting off point'.

But VAR isn't fit for purpose. It's not like cricket, where you have hotspots, noise analysis and a set area to monitor; it's a much more complicated sport.

It's why 'trust the tech' doesn't work for me, as it still relies on subjective input. If anyone can realistically tell me how the tech can know exactly how far Richarlison's foot is in the air, I'm all ears, because if the tech is that good then why on earth are we relying on a guy drawing lines out?

A good example of tech in football is the goalline sensor. It's over the line or not, no ifs or buts. VAR is a bad example of tech in football.

I think if you're going to use technology, there has to be a 'cutting off point'.

But VAR isn't fit for purpose. It's not like cricket, where you have hotspots, noise analysis and a set area to monitor; it's a much more complicated sport.

It's why 'trust the tech' doesn't work for me, as it still relies on subjective input. If anyone can realistically tell me how the tech can know exactly how far Richarlison's foot is in the air, I'm all ears, because if the tech is that good then why on earth are we relying on a guy drawing lines out?
Yeah and to me it's dubious how often we are on the wrong side of it. I am not claiming conspiracy but they do seem to check ours more thoroughly than some matches I've seen. It's like they are looking for a reason to disallow or a reason to give the (so called) bigger team a decision and I agree VAR is still subjective. It's why I was never in favour of it it just entrenches a lot of biases.

I think they're just really poor footballers.

Keane is awful, Holgate is somehow worse, Coleman is finished and Godfrey is... god knows what he is tbh

But yeah, a large part of the reason we won tonight was because Arsenal were dreadful.

Don’t disagree with any of that really, but think they can be better drilled. I feel for Coleman, he’s been hung out to dry and will play 40 games this season when he should be playing 10.

That block he made tonight was fantastic. Game winning.

Right, but look at the gap here.

View attachment 147793

Look at the gap between the two lines.

Now look at Richarlisons foot.

Are you honestly telling me that Richarlisons foot being an inch or so off the ground would result in a gap like that which is basically the same size as his foot?

I'd have accepted where the black line is here - as said, I do think Richarlison was offside.

View attachment 147794

... but the kicker is I think the VAR line then would have been borderline, so I honestly think they've manipulated those dots (again, not symmetrical or the same size) to give the outcome they want. Because I can't think of a reasonable way any technology would be able to accurately depict the distance a foot is off the floor and the outcome that would then make using pixellated imagery. They'd have to have sensors on the players feet.
We're not going to agree, so let's leave it. I trust the technology, you think it's been manipulated.

I believe words have power and if we want good things coming our way then we need to envision what we wish. I couldn’t watch the second half because I had a body massage scheduled this afternoon but while laying there I kept envisioning at 2-1, that was the thought I kept sending to the universe. I just got out the massage and have seen our score and I’m so happy ?
Watch the highlights. You’ll be even happier. Last goal was a cracker

I believe words have power and if we want good things coming our way then we need to envision what we wish. I couldn’t watch the second half because I had a body massage scheduled this afternoon but while laying there I kept envisioning at 2-1, that was the thought I kept sending to the universe. I just got out the massage and have seen our score and I’m so happy ?

?

Just got home from work...I live in Alaska so this game kicked off at 11am for me. I followed along on here but nothing prepared me for the highlights I just watched. Wow. Did. We. Need. That! That game must have had every human emotion to mankind coursing through the veins of everyone there.....and has anyone seen NBC's (USA network) for the commentary for winning goal? Oh my days! Fabulous stuff. What an important goal/game this could turn out to be.

Sometimes I just want to hate Everton and forget they exist. If wives/girlfriends, family, significant others treated us like Everton treat us sometimes, ripping our hearts out etc. we can just bin them off. But this damn club, they just draw you back in, inject the life back into you, and no matter what they might have done to you.....for 27 years damn it......you still fracking adore them. We are all mad, utterly, masochistically mad.

Off to watch Gray's goal again, and again, and again.............................................

Funny story - I was once going to get a massage at one of the Chinese/Thai places in town due to bad neck muscles a few years back to see if it did anything. I was spectacularly naive and thought 'massage parlour' was an accurate description of the business.

Luckily someone corrected me before I went.

And to bring it back on topic, I'm fairly convinced the Everton physio team should be similarly done on the trade description act.

Status
Not open for further replies.