Everton U21s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lucky? What like when we came 4th but missed out on a CL place because Chelsea (against the odds) won it?

Proper lucky that is.

Just seen that EFC tweet. Its nice to be appreciated.

Anyway. That's enough from me for this season, don't want to out stay my welcome. Catch you all next time.
Good luck with your hunt for a new manager - hope it is someone you are happy with.
**** the reds.

I went to the game last night and really enjoyed it overall. After a difficult first half against a very good Spurs side, Everton really came back in to it in the second and a draw after 90 minutes would have been a fair scoreline all things being equal. Effort was absolutely there from all, and hopefully the majority of this young side will still be around next year to build on this performance and their respective careers.

Some individual performances to note -

For me Browning was the standout defender and real surprise package for me - put in a few really good blocks and saved us once or twice throughout the game from conceeding. Duffy (like others) did grow in to the game a lot more as it went on, and I would like to see him and Barkley get a go against Chelsea.

In midfield - Lundstram looks to have a lot of potential; not everything he did came off, though he is a big guy, presses the opposition really well and has a good work ethic on him. More first team football in the Championship / League 1 next year will be really good for him.

Barkley had a frustrating first half, though was arguably the standout player in the second half and started to impose himself a lot. Some of his decision making is questionable, though I am sure he will develop that in the next couple of years. Promising!

Kennedy went off early and was replaced by Duffus who had a decent outing up front. McAleny was moved out wide and then came in to the game a lot. He took his goal really well and was a threat throughout. On the basis of tonight's performance and what I have read about him this season, I think he is unfortunate not to have been included in more matchday 18s. He is definitely a nuisance to the opposition, has good pace and looks to have bulked up a bit. Long had some nice moments also, including a very good goal - now out of the Academy I think the real work will start for him now, in terms of trying to nail down a reserve team place and look to progress further.

Unfortunately Stones did not have the best of nights and was at fault for both goals. As with the above players I have praised though, you can't judge anyone wholly on one nights performance, so let's wait and see with him and hope he comes back stronger next year with a full Premier league pre-season under his belt.

Quite a few of the Spurs players impressed - notably Tom Carroll who I think came off the bench against us in the Premier League. The striker Obita caused us a lot of trouble also, including two goals, so it was a good test for Duffy / Browning.

If anyone gets the chance - I would definitely recommend getting down to a reserve game. Was a strong Spurs support there in the West stand, with one really vocal section of 100 or so who have apparantly started going to a lot of the reserve games. Kenwright was in the stands also watching the game!

Still at least it's not us having to play Man U (or The RS) - we all know how that would have ended with a controversial last minute penalty award or a disallowed goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.