Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good point. It would be a gamble based on the season before last, where he was pretty impressive. Last season I think he was toilet by all accounts. Take your point though - I think a Prem team would be unlikely to take the gamble due to him being toilet last season. IMO as a back up for Allan/Doucoure it might have been a sound move, but then would he have been happy as a back up.
We have loads of back ups
We need players to slot into the first 11
GK, CB ,RW and possibly a RB

Totally agree. I don't have any confidence in any of our Allan/Doucoure backups, but Obvs outgoings are the priority (31 is too much), followed by what you've said. Personally I feel we might get one of those in if we're lucky, 2 if marcel performs outgoing miricles.

When think about a transfer target now I think we need to consider if they would be a target for the teams who have been scrapping for top four positions for the last few years.

That is the level we need to be at as well. Players that can play at a high level or young players that have the ability to develop into players who can perform at a high level.

I see names suggested on here as possible targets who would not have been acceptable twelve months ago under Marco Silva never mind now under CA.

We got Allan because he didn't get on with the manager and they needed money , we got JR because Real Madrid seem to have forgotten just how good he is and he had a good relationship with our manager we got Doucoure because Watford were relegated.

I think we are looking at quality targets but many of them will just be out of our reach.... at present. We are looking at players possibly coming to the end of their contract or maybe somebody who has been sidelined in a big squad at a major club as JR was. Milik is mentioned because his contract is up in less than twelve months and almost definitely will be sold, although maybe not to us.

We are also looking at young targets i my opinion and I saw somebody mention Ben Godfrey earlier and I could well se us having an interest in a young versatile player like him where maybe the fee would be affordable.

Totally agree. I don't have any confidence in any of our Allan/Doucoure backups, but Obvs outgoings are the priority (31 is too much), followed by what you've said. Personally I feel we might get one of those in if we're lucky, 2 if marcel performs outgoing miricles.
Why waste money on backups
If we buy a GK then Pickford becomes backup
If we buy a RB then Coleman becomes back up etc etc

The Allan/Doucouré back up will be Gbamin. He was bought to replace Gueye. I doubt we can afford a punt on another CDM while we have him on the books.

Bernard , Iwobi , Kenny etc
Every backup does not have to a child

So youre disagreeing with me. Sorry i didnt follow your initial point.

I see now that you rate Bernard, Iwobi and Kenny as good enough players for the squad. Players that you would be happy starting in the first eleven.

Fair enough, all about opinions.

Youve literally just disagreed with me and provided the names of, Bernard, Iwobi and Kenny as good enough players for the squad and first eleven.

Now youre listing several of the positions i mentioned (which you disagreed with)?

How peculiar.

Funnily enough, the players I mentioned and those very same positions were the exact same ones i posted about...which you disagreed with

Why waste money on backups
If we buy a GK then Pickford becomes backup
If we buy a RB then Coleman becomes back up etc etc

Whoops! Youre all over the place now.

One minute Kenny is good enough and now he isnt!

Disagree with me....then agree with me...

Then double down on agreeing with me!

No doubt a sudden riposte with some 'amusing' caveat about kids or other nonsense.

How bizarre...

In the 5 remaining positions without u20 players backing up the starters, there is either no direct backup or players considered 'not good enough' by most.
Presumably one of Keane, Holgate and Mina is to be classed as a back up. I'm very happy with that and I'm pretty sure most on here are too. Gbamin will be classed as a back up. It would be very unfair on him to say that most on here think he's not good enough. Bernard is somebody else you can say is good as back up. Very skillfull player who I believe will impress more with players around him on the same wavelength. Sigurdsson get's a lot of stick on here, but played in the right position (centrally further forward) he'd be a very good option to bring on in games we're controlling and we want to rest, say James. There's not many teams outside the top 6 that can call on a replacement with so much experience and ability.

You've described our back up (part from the 6 in the 18-20 category) as incredibly weak. I would say that none of those I've just mentioned are incredibly weak. I think we need to improve our right back, notwithstanding Seamus's fantastic start to the season. He just doesn't have it in his legs to do it all the time. And I also would like another winger for games when we may want to play James in a more withdrawn role. Somebody with pace and a good end product in terms of goals and assists. Gordon may become that player.

So I reckon we are 2 players short of a good squad that can challenge top 4 this year, provided we stay relatively injury free and continue to get the run of the decisions we've received in the first few games.

If you look at other teams benches, even the top clubs, they aren't scaring me too much at the moment. City had no striker last night and a 17 yo on the bench. Liverpool played a midfielder at centre back, and have no cover at right back if Gomez is injured. Spurs bench didn't scare me when we played them.

It would obviously be disappointing if the season ended up being undermined by a lack of quality in reserve, but at least the three new signings have given Ancelotti a fighting chance. The last thing we wanted was to be in a position where the club couldn't walk away from a bad deal late on (eg Iwobi), so the window has already been a success from that perspective.

If I had to guess, I'd say that there'll be a few loans / cheap transfers in and out nearer to the deadline.

Milik in for Kean would be an excellent start.

Status
Not open for further replies.