Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
The echo saying loans and frees but we must have a few quid even in this situation. I would say we have around 50m and will have to use all that in midfield. One CM and one RW. Maybe loan in a CB and right back. Take a free or two. It's grim because apparently we had all our business lined up and this situation has collapsed deals like Gabriel seemingly.

The thing is any click bait story by the echo on Twitter, regarding a player we are interested in. Ends with the deal is unlikely because it’s loans and frees this summer. And these are usually written by red, Theo Squires being one. Another called mark Wakefield. Who I think is from Yorkshire. Like he would what Everton’s transfer rumours are.

To many people are getting their knickers in a twist from what Kirkbride said 2 weeks ago. This is a fella who’s never broken a transfer story in his life. And where was he fir 5 days when Mina got injured, or any other echo journalist. Or Alan Myers or theEsk.

It apparently happened on the Friday,
Paul Joyce broke it on the Tuesday.
I think the likes of Kirkbride gets 3rd hand information. And in the same piece, he said quality over quantity and Hwang from Salzburg is a major target who will cost about 20mil. Covering his bases if you ask me.

Witt FFP and covid, it will be a tricky summer for us, but I still think we will spend some money. We could generate 30mil from selling academy players. Including Kenny & Davies. With us apparently getting 1.8 mil for Hornby. Bowler’s deal with Hull is 5mil, though that might change now, but he still maybe in demand for championship clubs, same as dowell, Connolly, Pennington, Beni.

And the way transfers work that 30mil can go quite far. Plus hopefully we can bring in more by hopefully getting rid of Keane, siggurdsson, etc

The thing is any click bait story by the echo on Twitter, regarding a player we are interested in. Ends with the deal is unlikely because it’s loans and frees this summer. And these are usually written by red, Theo Squires being one. Another called mark Wakefield. Who I think is from Yorkshire. Like he would what Everton’s transfer rumours are.

To many people are getting their knickers in a twist from what Kirkbride said 2 weeks ago. This is a fella who’s never broken a transfer story in his life. And where was he fir 5 days when Mina got injured, or any other echo journalist. Or Alan Myers or theEsk.

I think the likes of Kirkbride gets 3rd hand information. And in the same piece, he said quality over quantity and Hwang from Salzburg is a major target who will cost about 20mil. Covering his bases if you ask me.

Witt FFP and covid, it will be a tricky summer for us, but I still think we will spend some money. We could generate 30mil from selling academy players. Including Kenny & Davies. With us apparently getting 1.8 mil for Hornby. Bowler’s deal with Hull is 5mil, though that might change now, but he still maybe in demand for championship clubs, same as dowell, Connolly, Pennington, Beni.

And the way transfers work that 30mil can go quite far. Plus hopefully we can bring in more by hopefully getting rid of Keane, siggurdsson, etc

The article that he wrote seems to have been completely misconstrued as well- I dont see anything really that negative- there are loads of good players available on free transfers if necessary, and it just says that is being looked at. Thee will be loads of good players from Bayern, Madrid and Barcelona and the like available on loan as well.

But whenever the transfer window opens, there is an acceptance that clubs will find it harder to move players out on permanent deals and that loans may be the best way to get those on the fringes, off the wage bill for another season, as clubs adjust to a new financial reality.

Everton, who have been showing interest in Red Bull Salzburg forward Hwang Hee-chan, are expected to prioritise quality over quantity when the window opens with big money moves highly unlikely.

It is believed the club are planning to explore what possibilities there are in the loan market with many elite clubs expected to be open to doing more deals of this nature as all teams are forced to balance the books.

Swaps and free transfers are also to be looked into by the Blues.
And, it is understood, Everton would prefer signing a top target on loan for a season, rather than buying a player who is further down on their wish-list.

We will improve the squad without a doubt. May only be three players that come in but im sure they will improve us.

Maybe another new Transfer window date reported

Javier Tebas, the president of La Liga, has indicated a European wide transfer window will be open from the end of July until the middle of October as he warned of a €1.6 billion (£1.4bn) shortfall in income for Spanish clubs.

Although there has been no confirmation regarding what will happen with the transfer window in England, Tebas revealed a loose consensus is in place following discussions with all the major European leagues.

It' hard for us, as we still think of ourselves as a big club, and we get mocked everytime we go to Anfield with the haven't won their since 1999 (which shows Liverpool fans still see us as a big club as well, as they are surprised we are at the point) and these big games are signifiers that we are not. However as you say, the far bigger problem we have had is that we don't win enough games against the rest, particularly away from home. We've had numerous seasons now where we win 2 or 3 away games. Write the top 6 off, the 2 or 3 against the rest is poor. If we really want to differentiate ourselves from them, we need to be winning at least half of those games. That return in results will be a lot quicker and easier than trying to win games at the top 6.

If we were to say win 7, draw 3 lose 4 of those games we would probably add 10-15 points on our end of season total. That takes us last season from 8th to 6th. This season we probably finish 4-6th. We can still lose most of the games away at the top 6 teams and show real progress.

For Gomes he is sort of emblematic of this really. There's no doubt he's played brilliantly in big games, but he doesnt follow it up every week. The lad I saw at Anfield run the midfield, should be the best player on the pitch most games and the truth is he isn't. Maybe it's mental with him, but more likely I think it's tactial. He has all the attributes to beat the press when sides come at him. When players are cuter though, stand off him a bit etc he has been found wanting.

I know you're into your cricket a lot, and the similarity to me is with the one day game/test matches. Hoggard was a very good test match bowler, but once you removed the swinging ball, the 3 slips, the batsman who don't defend decent balls, he struggled.

Maybe Gomes works it out, and I hope so. But he hasn't yet.
Yeah I completely agree with you there. I think it's something that gets overlooked a lot; people talk about different levels of perfomances as if they're completely unfathomable, but they're not. Unfortunately some of our players are pretty one dimensional, and just aren't capable of performing well in different scenarios. Bernard's the same the other way round, in home games where we have lots of the ball and teams often sit back he can be excellent, finding pockets of space and really hurting teams; in games where we don't dominate and he gets closed down quicker, he usually does very little and games can just completely pass him by.

Andre Gomes needs a midfield that works for him he is going to struggle when you put any of our current midfielders in with him.

Imagine receiving the ball and you look for you midfield partner and he’s hiding behind someone and pointing elsewhere.

We need to totally change our midfield or next season will be exactly like this.

Tried to say as much in another thread but accused of being an RS so gave it up as a bad job as I'm far too long in the tooth for that nonsense... but if them lot are skint, then you better believe we are too.
This isn't too refute your point but FSG don't really care about Liverpool. They care about the Boston Red Sox first, second, third, fourth and fifth. That's their primary business. MLB is having a bit of an issue too, they need to make sure that is solvent over all else.

Yeah I completely agree with you there. I think it's something that gets overlooked a lot; people talk about different levels of perfomances as if they're completely unfathomable, but they're not. Unfortunately some of our players are pretty one dimensional, and just aren't capable of performing well in different scenarios. Bernard's the same the other way round, in home games where we have lots of the ball and teams often sit back he can be excellent, finding pockets of space and really hurting teams; in games where we don't dominate and he gets closed down quicker, he usually does very little and games can just completely pass him by.

And the Bernard was is the more orthodox way isn't it? You reach your level. In essence it's what happened to Moyes's teams, excellent players who got the most from themselves but ultimately just fell short.

I generally don't believe everything the echo says but I do think the entire financial situation will affect us. Plus the Toffee TV fellas(again who knows) have gone from saying we should buy five, to three now they are saying loans, frees and swap deals. Maybe someone at the club has briefed we aren't spending a lot this summer maybe its just speculation maybe its a tactic, say we have less money and that drives prices down for us. As you say it may hinge on how many we can shift in terms of our actual spend this summer. We are desperate for a CM, RB, RW and CB we need to fill those positions at a minimum whether its loans, perms, frees. I do think we have a kitty but I am guessing its half what we had(I presume we had Gabriel, Allan and a few others lined up before all this and it's all gone to pot). Now we are looking at loans for certain positions RB, /CB so we can spend in CM and RW that's my guess.

Mad if you think we're spending much this summer - I think it'll be mainly loans and frees, depending on how much we can recoup for the dross (LOL)

Still seems to be some folk about who think due to Covid every club will be potless..... but Everton won't be affected.

Tried to say as much in another thread but accused of being an RS so gave it up as a bad job as I'm far too long in the tooth for that nonsense... but if them lot are skint, then you better believe we are too.

To really simplify the situation,

1) Liverpool have a much stronger business than Everton
2) Covid 19 will impact both clubs
3) Covid 19 hurt LIverpool far more than Everton.
4) Liverpools owners may respond very differently (and negatively) in a crisis than how Everton's board have acted.

Status
Not open for further replies.