Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really.

I want somebody to run our midfield, IMO thats not going to be a 16 year old. Word is that hes a very talented boy, so if we could sign him that would be great.

But that would still need us needing somebody to run our midfield.

I get it Zat, you want to build for the future, I want to build for the now and then the future, short-sighted yes and something we have been doing for years without success, but Carlo is here now, so lets build for now.

Im not disagreeing.

I think though that we need 5 central midfielders.

It appears as though we will be going with 6 due to gbamins injury;

Gomes
+1
Delph
Davies
+1
Gbamin

I would prefer we go for a Bellingham or similar 'type' u21 player. Someone who can play box to box with a high ceiling.

Clearly jumping the gun but it would be fantastic if he came in and Onyango developed also so we could have 2 emerging talents.

In addition to that ive always said that we need a new central midfield. With Gbamin out we literally dont have any energy there.

Hopefully Besic has chosen not to extend with Sheff Utd as we have an offer for him...and he doesnt want to risk injury.

Im not disagreeing.

I think though that we need 5 central midfielders.

It appears as though we will be going with 6 due to gbamins injury;

Gomes
+1
Delph
Davies
+1
Gbamin

I would prefer we go for a Bellingham or similar 'type' u21 player. Someone who can play box to box with a high ceiling.

Clearly jumping the gun but it would be fantastic if he came in and Onyango developed also so we could have 2 emerging talents.

In addition to that ive always said that we need a new central midfield. With Gbamin out we literally dont have any energy there.
Agree with most of this about the midfield. But no to Bellingham especially at the price quoted. And who knows about Onyango.
Hopefully brands is watching the French league. Lot of young powerful players whose prices will be lower

Thought all that midfield could play. Players like Reid and bracewell could pass, looked after themselves, made tackles. They had a will to win which the midfield we have now dont

...absolutely, but they rarely ventured into the top third (as their goalscoring record suggests). Interestingly, the same can be said for Kendall and Harvey, although Alan Ball was such a key ingredient of that great team.

...absolutely, but they rarely ventured into the top third (as their goalscoring record suggests). Interestingly, the same can be said for Kendall and Harvey, although Alan Ball was such a key ingredient of that great team.
Yes reid and bracewell won the ball passed to tricky or speedy and they made things happen. Watched youtube the other night Everton Sunderland. Great goals in it. 2 by Andy gray. Then a 40 yard ball on the volley by bracewell to Trevor Steven who cut inside the full back and absolutely hammered the ball into the net. Was at that game. Highlights show 2 offside Sunderland goals which were terrible decisions by the referee. Just shows when things go for they go for you ha

If you look at the midfields they were up against, you had molby at Liverpool, probably one of the best passer in the league, but not a great grafter. Utd Robson and whiteside, both very aggressive, but more attacking midfielders than defending.

And then you had spurs, who had Hoddle and Ardiles. Again both playmakers, but not a lot of graft in the heat of battle. I think we definitely had the best balanced pair at the time.

Also in them days, most teams played 442. Now with a lot of teams having a 3 in midfield, I think it’s so important Ancelotti gets the right 2 players in there. You would think the likes of Gomes could struggle to be a regular going forward if Ancelotti sticks to his 442. Maybe he might do what he did at Napoli and sacrifice 1 winger , for a more of a wide midfield, who can help the midfield 2

If you look at the midfields they were up against, you had molby at Liverpool, probably one of the best passer in the league, but not a great grafter. Utd Robson and whiteside, both very aggressive, but more attacking midfielders than defending.

And then you had spurs, who had Hoddle and Ardiles. Again both playmakers, but not a lot of graft in the heat of battle. I think we definitely had the best balanced pair at the time.

Also in them days, most teams played 442. Now with a lot of teams having a 3 in midfield, I think it’s so important Ancelotti gets the right 2 players in there. You would think the likes of Gomes could struggle to be a regular going forward if Ancelotti sticks to his 442. Maybe he might do what he did at Napoli and sacrifice 1 winger , for a more of a wide midfield, who can help the midfield 2

Thats my worry with Gomes in a 442 - too slow and not mobile enough to do the pressing/defensive work needed.

As you say you ideally need 2x box to box midfielders who have a blend of passing ability but also pace, strength and can get about the pitch.

Hes 29, hes scored 13 this season, in the league, cup comps and Europe are pointless, cos Everton dont play in them.

DCL is 23, hes scored 13 this season.

Jimenez would cost 40m+.

Would I take Jimenez ahead of DCL? Probably, would I pay 40m for not much of an upgrade? Defo not.

I consider DCL to currently have more of an upside.
My post referenced when Allardyce was interested in him,not now.

26 in the league, 13 in each of them, same as what Dom has scored this season
So his other goals don't deserve putting on his record? Maybe if Allardyce had signed him we might have made higher than 8th that season and he'd have scored EL goals for us. But that ship has sailed.

You could replace that entire midfield to be fair. Absolute dross. One of the worst in the league.

wouldn’t be bothered at losing any of them including Gomes.
I think Gomes has his uses absolutely but he needs consistency. He really isn't that great away from home for some reason.

But I concur overall, I've been saying how woeful our midfield was since the window closed pretty much.

Status
Not open for further replies.