Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think allan could be a great signing can play in few positions cdm or cm and add some experience and if we do sign him is clear was carlo main choice
He plays one position. He's a central midfielder. He can maybe do a few different things but ultimately he is going to be in central midfield.

Carlo's main choice doesn't really mean anything to me when it is an older player who will cost a lot and be paid high wages. That's exactly the type of guy who becomes unmovable deadwood in about 2 to 3 seasons.

If we were going to be pushing for the CL this year then maybe it would make sense to do something like this. But that player needs to be the last piece of the puzzle. Do we really think one central midfielder is all that stands between us and moving up to 3rd or 4th? I think we are further than that.

It's easy to say that now because we aren't going to want to say that our current side which has some hope attached is as bad as one of the most dreadful sides we've ever seen, but I don't think that there is nearly enough separation between them at this point.

Proper management has made something of a difference no doubt but when you look at the Chelsea game for example it is clear our midfield is woefully inadequate and that the backline is not made of the most solid stuff. The forwards we've improved a lot without question, but looking at everyone else behind them I'm really not sure that on the whole we are any better. Or at the very least better enough to be happy about it.

Brands is somewhat on the right track, or I thought he was, but doing something like signing Allan this summer would be a bad step back. That is the type of signing that gets you into this situation where you can't move players who can't perform.
In a 442 your 2 central midfielders have to be extra special, someone mentioned we are missing an Arteta type, but I’m not sure he’s the type we need.

We need 2 aggressive, strong box to box types, that can defend, get about the pitch quickly and not be bullied. Obviously having technical ability is big too. Because so many teams play 3 in there it’s important our 2 can compete. Maybe that’s why the link with Allan, personally I’m not bothered he’s 29 if Ancelotti thinks he’s perfect for the system.

If we go for a sangare, he’s 20 and we could be waiting for a year or two for him to find his feet. And gbamin is like starting from scratch again. Holjberg is a similar type but the right age, with prem experience

In a 442 your 2 central midfielders have to be extra special, someone mentioned we are missing an Arteta type, but I’m not sure he’s the type we need.

We need 2 aggressive, strong box to box types, that can defend, get about the pitch quickly and not be bullied. Obviously having technical ability is big too. Because so many teams play 3 in there it’s important our 2 can compete. Maybe that’s why the link with Allan, personally I’m not bothered he’s 29 if Ancelotti thinks he’s perfect for the system.

If we go for a sangare, he’s 20 and we could be waiting for a year or two for him to find his feet. And gbamin is like starting from scratch again. Holjberg is a similar type but the right age, with prem experience

Why does everyone assume we’re married to the 4-4-2 formation just because that’s what Ancelotti has deemed most suitable to our current group of players that he hasn’t put together?

Why does everyone assume we’re married to the 4-4-2 formation just because that’s what Ancelotti has deemed most suitable to our current group of players that he hasn’t put together?

Why does everyone assume we've got a pot to pee in with talk of all these, highly unlikely, targets?

I would say it actually strengthens the certainty he will play 442. When the players he’s had to use aren’t really suited to it. Siggurdsson in midfield. iwobi I don’t see as a winger in a 442, or Bernard to a lesser extent

He’s also talked about how her prefers that system, so why nothing is set in stone, I can see him playing that system and him and Brands buying to fit in it.

He plays one position. He's a central midfielder. He can maybe do a few different things but ultimately he is going to be in central midfield.

Carlo's main choice doesn't really mean anything to me when it is an older player who will cost a lot and be paid high wages. That's exactly the type of guy who becomes unmovable deadwood in about 2 to 3 seasons.

If we were going to be pushing for the CL this year then maybe it would make sense to do something like this. But that player needs to be the last piece of the puzzle. Do we really think one central midfielder is all that stands between us and moving up to 3rd or 4th? I think we are further than that.

Unmoveable dead wood is when you give a crap young player a four year contract on 100k a week, see Sandro.

Unmoveable but not good enough is when you pay Pickford 90k a week. Clubs would be interested in buying him, but nobody is going to match that wage. Same applies to Sigurddson and Schneiderlin.

Clubs that sign players aged 29, like Allan, do so in the knowledge that you aren't going to recuperate massive sums of money as he moves into his thirties, but in the hope that the quality he will bring will be money well spent. The big clubs do it all the time.

I'm sure we will get some money back for Iwobi in the summer of 2023, but he won't have done anything to help us move on.

Last edited:

Probably cos it suits our best 3 players.

You build teams around your best players, Rico, DCL and Digne are our best players and 4-4-2 suits them.

BUT

It doesnt suit the other players much, I mean Gomes is much better in a 3, Iwobi and possibly Bernie as a 10.

So theres a minor chance we change things, but I think we will stick with 442 personally.

Unmoveable dead wood is when you give a crap young player a four year contract on 100k a week, see Sandro.

Unmoveable but not good enough is when you pay Pickford 90k a week. Clubs would be interested in buying him, but nobody is going to match that wage. Same applies to Sigurddson and Schneiderlin.

Clubs that sign players aged 29, like Allan, do so in the knowledge that you aren't going to recuperate massive sums of money as he moves into his thirties, but in the hope that the quality he will bring will be money well spent. The big clubs do it all the time.

I'm sure we will get some money back for Iwobi in the summer of 2023, but he won't have done anything to help us move on.
We aren't a big club. If we act like a big club, we will fail.

We aren't a big club. If we act like a big club, we will fail.

It's a fair point, but I also think we have to acknowledge players in their late 20's and above also have a value. In truth our record with them has actually been very good. Smith (who I see as a bit of a prototype for Ancelotti but ultimately inferior) used the market very well, particularly players with who he knew previously.

I'll be honest if I was going to go big with 1 player from Napoli who was older it would be Koulibaly, who is world class. However I think Allan is good and probably the position we need a player in more desperately.

Players don't just stop at 31, there are lots of players who play well into their mid 30's. So if Carlo wants him and the price is ok I'm ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.