Status
Not open for further replies.
Fast forward a season and these will be gone:
Bolasie
Sandro
Schneiderlin
Sandro
Walcott

Then were a season away from a clean break from the deadwood.

Quite excitimg really

Exactly this. Each window deadwood is going out and better players are coming in. Not all of them admittedly but the likes of Richarlison Digne Gomes Mina ARE better than Siggurdson Sandro Bolasie Keane Williams Schneiderlin etc. There’s been a couple of duds with Delph maybe Iwobi (although I still think there’s potential there) but rather than getting worse each window (which we were between Martinez’s first window and Brands arrival) we’re now improving the squad each window. This isn’t reflecting on the pitch yet as we’ve not been able to move away from the same rotting core of players who have held us back for so long mainly due to too many injuries all over the pitch last season (Gomes Gbamin Delph Digne) meaning we can’t shelve Siggurdson Schneiderlin Keane Walcott. We are going in the right direction though. For every waster out the door and hungry player through it we’re a step closer to changing the mentality of the club.

Exactly this. Each window deadwood is going out and better players are coming in. Not all of them admittedly but the likes of Richarlison Digne Gomes Mina ARE better than Siggurdson Sandro Bolasie Keane Williams Schneiderlin etc. There’s been a couple of duds with Delph maybe Iwobi (although I still think there’s potential there) but rather than getting worse each window (which we were between Martinez’s first window and Brands arrival) we’re now improving the squad each window. This isn’t reflecting on the pitch yet as we’ve not been able to move away from the same rotting core of players who have held us back for so long mainly due to too many injuries all over the pitch last season (Gomes Gbamin Delph Digne) meaning we can’t shelve Siggurdson Schneiderlin Keane Walcott. We are going in the right direction though. For every waster out the door and hungry player through it we’re a step closer to changing the mentality of the club.
The deadwood isn't a problem likely to go away soon. In two summers yes all of those names you've mentioned should be gone for good but others will step up and take their place. The deadwood might be draining our resources, but the guys taking the minutes are largely not good enough either, and in time they'll be realized to be needing replacement too. In a lot of cases they'll be as hard to shift as the current crop.

The deadwood isn't a problem likely to go away soon. In two summers yes all of those names you've mentioned should be gone for good but others will step up and take their place. The deadwood might be draining our resources, but the guys taking the minutes are largely not good enough either, and in time they'll be realized to be needing replacement too. In a lot of cases they'll be as hard to shift as the current crop.

if we get to a point that our best players now become our deadwood then that is a very good place to be in. I don’t think our squad has ever been worse than the middle of the season 17/18 when Allardyce took over. Gueye was probably our only playing asset and Davies and Rooney were considered our better players. People were made up when Coleman came back from injury and Walcott was bought as we had a decent right flank. Now both players are considered not good enough because we have stepped up in quality. I’d love to get to a point where we are showing Mina or Richarlison the door because we have far better options available but it’s a long process to get there. It took City a decade of unlimited spending to get to the squad which Guardiola won his first league with.

if we get to a point that our best players now become our deadwood then that is a very good place to be in. I don’t think our squad has ever been worse than the middle of the season 17/18 when Allardyce took over. Gueye was probably our only playing asset and Davies and Rooney were considered our better players. People were made up when Coleman came back from injury and Walcott was bought as we had a decent right flank. Now both players are considered not good enough because we have stepped up in quality. I’d love to get to a point where we are showing Mina or Richarlison the door because we have far better options available but it’s a long process to get there. It took City a decade of unlimited spending to get to the squad which Guardiola won his first league with.
It won't be our best players. It'll be middling players like Delph, Bernard, Iwobi, Mina, Pickford, etc. The guys who looked originally like they might be good but turn out to not be that good. The same thing happened with Schneiderlin and Sigurdsson. No one thought they were terrible until at least a year or so in.

I agree, the football at that point was dire, but have we really stepped up that much in quality aside from Richarlison and DCL? I'm not so sure.

...took in a PSG game a few years ago when in Paris with my son and Rabiot was magnificent. I don’t know about his attitude but on that day he was some player.
He would be our best midfielder, just has had a few issues off field.
I suppose it comes down to price, he at the right age.

It won't be our best players. It'll be middling players like Delph, Bernard, Iwobi, Mina, Pickford, etc. The guys who looked originally like they might be good but turn out to not be that good. The same thing happened with Schneiderlin and Sigurdsson. No one thought they were terrible until at least a year or so in.

I agree, the football at that point was dire, but have we really stepped up that much in quality aside from Richarlison and DCL? I'm not so sure.

We’ve definitely stepped up although injuries have robbed us from seeing improvement. Digne Mina Holgate are better defenders than any of Baines (in his old age) Jagielka Williams Kenny Martina. There’s still some improvements needed especially in the right back area and we need to punt Keane but in 17/18 Keane was being rushed back with an inflated foot because the back 4 was so bad. Now at full fitness he’s struggling to make the team.

A first choice midfield for us in 442 would probably be Iwobi/Walcott Gomes Gbamin Bernard. That’s a step up on any combination involving Siggurdson and Schneiderlin and far better wide options than Sandro Bolasie etc.

upfront is night and day. Richarlison DCL Kean are miles better than any of Niasse Sandro Tosun.

I’m not convinced that midfield is a huge upgrade. Clearly Carlo doesn’t think so either playing sig in place of Bernard. We have no idea how good Gbamin is but we do know he’s had a serious injury which has kept him out for a year. The same is true for his CM partner, who was extremely inconsistent before his injury. Don’t even get me started in the two on the right. At least it looks like it has plenty of goals in it though.....

I’m not convinced that midfield is a huge upgrade. Clearly Carlo doesn’t think so either playing sig in place of Bernard. We have no idea how good Gbamin is but we do know he’s had a serious injury which has kept him out for a year. The same is true for his CM partner, who was extremely inconsistent before his injury. Don’t even get me started in the two on the right. At least it looks like it has plenty of goals in it though.....
I can only see 2 of that 4 at best starting the first game of next season when it finally happens.

We will be upgrading the right hand side, Walcott will be back up. And I think we will be definitely buying a starter in midfield, like you say we can’t expect Gbamin to play 40/50 games next season. And Gomes I’m not convinced long term suits a 442

We’ve definitely stepped up although injuries have robbed us from seeing improvement. Digne Mina Holgate are better defenders than any of Baines (in his old age) Jagielka Williams Kenny Martina. There’s still some improvements needed especially in the right back area and we need to punt Keane but in 17/18 Keane was being rushed back with an inflated foot because the back 4 was so bad. Now at full fitness he’s struggling to make the team.

A first choice midfield for us in 442 would probably be Iwobi/Walcott Gomes Gbamin Bernard. That’s a step up on any combination involving Siggurdson and Schneiderlin and far better wide options than Sandro Bolasie etc.

upfront is night and day. Richarlison DCL Kean are miles better than any of Niasse Sandro Tosun.
It's easy to say that now because we aren't going to want to say that our current side which has some hope attached is as bad as one of the most dreadful sides we've ever seen, but I don't think that there is nearly enough separation between them at this point.

Proper management has made something of a difference no doubt but when you look at the Chelsea game for example it is clear our midfield is woefully inadequate and that the backline is not made of the most solid stuff. The forwards we've improved a lot without question, but looking at everyone else behind them I'm really not sure that on the whole we are any better. Or at the very least better enough to be happy about it.

Brands is somewhat on the right track, or I thought he was, but doing something like signing Allan this summer would be a bad step back. That is the type of signing that gets you into this situation where you can't move players who can't perform.

It's easy to say that now because we aren't going to want to say that our current side which has some hope attached is as bad as one of the most dreadful sides we've ever seen, but I don't think that there is nearly enough separation between them at this point.

Proper management has made something of a difference no doubt but when you look at the Chelsea game for example it is clear our midfield is woefully inadequate and that the backline is not made of the most solid stuff. The forwards we've improved a lot without question, but looking at everyone else behind them I'm really not sure that on the whole we are any better. Or at the very least better enough to be happy about it.

Brands is somewhat on the right track, or I thought he was, but doing something like signing Allan this summer would be a bad step back. That is the type of signing that gets you into this situation where you can't move players who can't perform.
I think allan could be a great signing can play in few positions cdm or cm and add some experience and if we do sign him is clear was carlo main choice

Baines (not signed yet?)
Sidibe
Martina
Niasse
Stekelenburg

Bolasie
Sandro
Schneiderlin
Walcott
Besic

Sigurdsson
Keane
Bernard
Tosun
Delph
Coleman

I can see us getting rid of many if not most of the players you list above.

2020:
Baines (not signed yet?)
Sidibe
Martina
Niasse
Stekelenburg

Obviously all those that are finishing in 2020 are gonners already, bar Baines who we will want to keep on.

2021:
Bolasie
Sandro
Schneiderlin
Walcott
Besic

Bolasie, Sandro and Besic will all be loaned out or sold one way or the other this summer; so we will be saying goodbye to them as well. So that's seven of the 15 players listed in your post that we will get rid of this summer.

Schneirderlin turns 31 in November, another injury and his career will be gone. He would be wise to move this summer and secure another 3 years now whilst he still can. If Schneiderlin leaves that's 8 off the books this summer. Walcott is 31 already and will be 32 come next summer, an injury would not be good for him now so he may be considering his options. Although, I'm fine with keeping Walcott for another year tbh.

2022:
Sigurdsson
Keane
Bernard
Tosun
Delph
Coleman

The 2022 players may be harder to shift, but some of them may actually fetch good money, Keane for example, Bernard possibly, Tosun possibly. Tosun may just be loaned out again.

Most of our deadwood will be gone in just a few months time, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.