Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, but the point was simply that conceding more than we score isn't necessarily proof that our defenders need replacing as a priority over other positions. Until we can control the midfield we won't go anywhere, it's been our weakest area for years and the current options are the poorest we've had for a long time. Improving the centre halves will make it easier for us to stand firm and hope to sneak something against good teams, improving our midfield will make it easier for us to actually compete with them.

*Edit* That doesn't mean I don't want us to replace defenders, I really do.

2 games, 2 clean sheets with Gbamin playing ;)

Right-back for me was an area the oppo exploited very clearly all season long.

Gana is badly missed he covered the full back positions when they went forward. He had the vision to see what would happen if we lost the ball and to be the right place to defend against it. Hopefully a fully fit Gbamin can be that player.

Well defense is where we struggle the most hence we’ve conceded only 1 goal less than 17th placed Bournemouth but are the 9th highest scorers.
Doesn’t help when your keeper is letting 4 out of every 5 shots go past him. I didn’t think we have been as bad defensively as some make out.

I’m sure there was a stat going around when silva got sacked, that we were in the top 5 in the league, for shots on our goal. Considering the problems we had in midfield, that’s good imo.

Get gbamin back( I know he still a bit unknown at this level) but another quality powerful. Add a quality CB, which seems to be on the cards. Then a think we will be fine as a team defensively.

But Pickford is still a problem and needs a very good season next year. Or he will be gone

Yeah right back has been a horror show.

Obviously it's all dependent on budgets and who becomes available but ideally i'd be looking for a keeper, a right back, a centre half, a central midfielder and a winger. I know people always say don't bring in too many players at once but for me you've got to get to a position where your squad is generally good enough and just needs a bit of extra quality before you can do that. Our squad is lacking in a number of areas and just adding one or two players isn't going to have much of an impact unless they're top class and capable of transforming the team by themselves.

Yeah right back has been a horror show.

Obviously it's all dependent on budgets and who becomes available but ideally i'd be looking for a keeper, a right back, a centre half, a central midfielder and a winger. I know people always say don't bring in too many players at once but for me you've got to get to a position where your squad is generally good enough and just needs a bit of extra quality before you can do that. Our squad is lacking in a number of areas and just adding one or two players isn't going to have much of an impact unless they're top class and capable of transforming the team by themselves.

Yeh they're the positions I'd go for. Can't see a keeper though, maybe can't even see a centre mid since we have so many as it is.

Yeh they're the positions I'd go for. Can't see a keeper though, maybe can't even see a centre mid since we have so many as it is.
100% we buy centre mid, Carlo has talked about the lack of legs abd energy in there . But when you watch siggurdsson and Davies isn’t it any wonder.

I think we will try and sell at least 3 of the midfielders

....not sure if that would mean a return to 1 up front and James as a no10.

Could see him operating a role more akin to Bernardo Silva at City out one of the wings. It would definitely suit a 4-3-3 formation similar to City and Liverpool, with DCL and Richarlison completing the line. That formation requires incredible discipline in midfield though and we'd definitely need to upgrade to get more mobile players in there.

Seems to be continuous chatter on James Rodriguez. Reports now in Colombia backing it up https://www.antena2.com/futbol/esta-dispuesto-a-ceder-el-contrato-que-ofreceria-everton-a-james

£25m deal and £85k p/w would represent a great deal if we could flog Sigurdsson. James would be an incredible signing, probably the marquee name we've been crying out for for years.

Or his agent is using us as a stalking horse, "look Carlo Ancelotti wants him" - not saying that is the case, but i expect we will be used that bit more as a stalking horse given we have a manager of Carlos reputation maybe we already are - Bale, Koulibaly, Couthino, Rodriguez etc.

If we have big ambishun we need to go for both Gabriel and Koulibaly.

Get them both alongside Holgate and Mina and we have the best CB options in the league imho.

Could see him operating a role more akin to Bernardo Silva at City out one of the wings. It would definitely suit a 4-3-3 formation similar to City and Liverpool, with DCL and Richarlison completing the line. That formation requires incredible discipline in midfield though and we'd definitely need to upgrade to get more mobile players in there.
I doubt Ancelotti will change his 442 system,
I can see him playing in a wide midfield role, which side I don’t know.

Status
Not open for further replies.