Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, but I think the premier league/UEFA will have to relax FFP rules.

I think they’ll do this because clubs will obviously have less money than they would’ve before the crises, plus they won’t want a transfer freeze.

this will obviously give clubs with money/rich owners a chance to get ahead of where they normally get to without FFP.

FFP has some good aspects. It was essentially set up to ensure clubs didn’t spend beyond their means. To prevent another Leeds situation. However, in reality all it has achieved is to strengthen the rich/CL clubs and clubs with a massive worldwide brand/fan base. A club like Everton, even with our owner, will realistically never be able to compete with certain clubs for players/wages based on our transfer budget/wage budget FFP limitations.

clubs with a wealthy owner could look at this summer as a massive opportunity transfer-wise. I hope if given this chance Moshiri (and maybe his friend Usmanov) take the opportunity.

I appreciate it’s a bit grim to think like this given the major difficulties a worldwide pandemic has caused for everyone. Just purely thinking in football terms here. Obviously we’d have all preferred there no be no pandemic, no deaths and have everything as normal.
I do agree that the motive behind FFP is sound but I also do agree with you that it works best for those who already are least in need of the FFP restrictions.

The current crisis may force some changes in a rule that is most effective at maintaining the status quo rather than helping create competition in football.
I agree that clubs cannot be allowed to pay wages which are almost the equal of the clubs entire turnover, but equally I would have thought that money being invested into the game from sources other than those currently allowed would be welcome.
There must be a means by which a compromise can be found.
The rise over the last twenty years of Chelsea and Man City because of the input from rich owners has, in my opinion, been very positive for the game.
We have not seen total domination by any team for a prolonged period and instead we have seen better competition because there have been more teams with the resources to win prizes.
In France PSG dominate football, Spanish football is dominated by the big two, German football by Bayern and Italian football to a lesser degree by Juve.
In England we have seen Utd, City and now Liverpool head towards league titles and even Leicester as well and that is with habitual winners Chelsea and Utd in relative slumps.

It is the competition that make the Premiership so attractive.

If another club could join the list of elite title chasers that would make the competition even better, hopefully that will be Everton but it would be true of any club. However, FFP actually works against that increased competition rather than looking for a way to encourage it.

I doubt it personally.

We should avoid blocking Gibson and Braithwaites path to the first team also, that's of course providing they are of the right quality.

Hard to say what the hell will happen this window tho.
If clubs are desperate and bargains to be had god knows what we will do
French clubs are going to be hard hit with the league finishing early and I would not be surprised if as has happened in Italy they have to play behind closed doors till next year
Lot of clubs will feel the pinch ,and French and Spanish clubs are normally more adept at bringing young players through as replacements

FIRST SEASON

The rumoured fees for Todibo (17mil) Gabriel (25mil) and Emerson (£18mil) come to £60mil with Sarr on a free.

If Keane goes out then we should see £20mil+ for him. Leaving £40mil approx as a 'net spend).

If we go 3 at the back;

GK: Pickford
RWB: Emerson/Kenny
RCB: Todibo/Coleman
CB: Holgate/Mina
LCB: Gabriel/Sarr/Gibson
LWB: Digne/Baines
CM: Gomes/Gbamin/Davies
AM: Iwobi/Bernard/Gordon
CF: Richarlison/DCL/Kean

Sell everyone else which 'should' bring in £40mil and breakeven on net spend. Then add in a midfielder e.g Allan as the only expenditure.

SECOND SEASON

We should be targeting europe and would have sufficient depth + would only look at upgrades rather than squad fillers.

If Ancelotti wanted to switch to his favoured 442 then we 'could' see something like this:

GK: Pickford
RB: Emerson/Kenny
RCB: Holgate/Todibo
LCB: Gabriel/Sarr
LB: Digne/Gibson
RM: ??? / ???
CM: Gomes/Allan/Gbamin/Davies
LM: Iwobi or Bernard/Gordon
CF: Richarlison/DCL/Kean

We would only need 2 right midfielders and keepers aside from upgrades.

Players out: Coleman/Mina/Baines/Iwobi or Bernard = £40mil-£50mil on top of the budget.

In my opinion thats a really strong squad needing a couple of players and just one or two possible upgrades.

The net spend would be very minimal.
And here is me thinking that the coronavirus serious stuff thread was bad for my mental health

I do agree that the motive behind FFP is sound but I also do agree with you that it works best for those who already are least in need of the FFP restrictions.

The current crisis may force some changes in a rule that is most effective at maintaining the status quo rather than helping create competition in football.
I agree that clubs cannot be allowed to pay wages which are almost the equal of the clubs entire turnover, but equally I would have thought that money being invested into the game from sources other than those currently allowed would be welcome.
The rise over the last twenty years of Chelsea and Man City because of the input from rich owners has, in my opinion, been very positive for the game.
We have not seen total domination by any team for a prolonged period and instead we have seen better competition because there have been more teams with the resources to win prizes.
In France PSG dominate football, Spanish football is dominated by the big two, German football by Bayern and Italian football to a lesser degree by Juve.
In England we have seen Utd, City and now Liverpool head towards league titles and even Leicester as well and that is with habitual winners Chelsea and Utd in relative slumps.

If another club could join the list of elite title chasers that would make the competition even better, hopefully that will be Everton but it would be true of any club. However, FFP actually works against that increased competition rather than looking for a way to encourage it.
8 titles in a row says different
They are the most dominant team domestically in the top 5 leagues

Sell that moron in net, Keane and the dross midfield (Siggurdsson, Schneiderlin, Iwobi)
Buy a better goalie, a top centre half, a right full, a number 8, and a winger/forward who scores goals.
We’re talking at least €100m for all that but this is what’s needed for top four or we stick with what’s here and churn out the same mediocre performances week after week.

FFP does exactly what it was designed to do. It's not an unfortunate side effect that it benefits those who were already in positions of power, it's the whole point of it.

If we could get Allan and Lozano for Kean + 10/15 Mil we should all over that.

If clubs are desperate and bargains to be had god knows what we will do
French clubs are going to be hard hit with the league finishing early and I would not be surprised if as has happened in Italy they have to play behind closed doors till next year
Lot of clubs will feel the pinch ,and French and Spanish clubs are normally more adept at bringing young players through as replacements

The French league (now Scotland, Belgium and Holland have done the same) just feels like another domino to me. A few days ago Merkel was very cautious on football returning. The situation has deteriorated in Germany since then. Long story short, especially with the May the 25th Deadline to make a decision by UEFA (less than 4 weeks away) I think France are just the first domino to fall. Italy and Spain definitely will, Germany if they go into lockdown I think follow shortly after (as lockdown will be for another say 3 weeks, players won't be able to train etc).

There are lot of implications in this, but for the subject of the debate, the level of exposure France is soon going to be all teams in Europe. I don't remember a situation like this in football, or really can't think of one. It's almost unique in most sectors. It's just panic across the entire industry. Prices will plummet. Any deal that has been provisionally discussed and agreed now, will just be re-commenced post cancellation.

I'll be frank, people in football have been a bit blaise when I've spoken to them. However what I realise now, is they were all working to the assumption leagues won't be cancelled. In all honesty, the ones that have been cancelled, they are now almost more concerned than I am about what the consequences will be. My fairly dire warnings, of cuts in transfer spend of anywhere from 40-60% may end up being too cautious, which is terrifying.

Status
Not open for further replies.