Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet I bet you can’t name more than two errors he’s made

Can't think of that many of the top of my head, but can't think of many for Keane either.

Think i remember him losing his man at Burnley, he had a shocker at Bournemouth trying to play offside, pretty sure he did the same with Wesley against Villa, struggles badly against City allowing Jesus to get close range free headers etc etc. The Millwall one last season I remember as well.

I think he really struggles when he's up against quicker forwards trying to run in behind. I'm not saying sell him because we don't have many options in that position. But I don't think he's any better than Keane.

Can't think of that many of the top of my head, but can't think of many for Keane either.

Think i remember him losing his man at Burnley, he had a shocker at Bournemouth trying to play offside, pretty sure he did the same with Wesley against Villa, struggles badly against City allowing Jesus to get close range free headers etc etc. The Millwall one last season I remember as well.

I think he really struggles when he's up against quicker forwards trying to run in behind. I'm not saying sell him because we don't have many options in that position. But I don't think he's any better than Keane.
You've just described Michael Keane, who also gets bullied by players smaller than him e.g. Jamie Vardy knocking him off the ball

Both of them have weaknesses in that area. I'd replace both if we had the money, but we don't. I prefer Keane and Holgate as my pairing.
For the way we want to play Mina is the better option, is at least semi competent with the ball at his feet and can read the game a little better than Keane. As soon as Keane is asked to play any other way than backs to the wall he crumbles

The problem with Keane is he is terrible for the way Ancelotti wants to play, The lad is not a modern CB who is comfortable with passing it out, If you want a park the bus back to the walls defender, I couldn't pick a better player than Keane, I'll always remember the Liverpool game where he made the last ditch tackle on Mane or Salah he was absolutely amazing that game, Mina is a far superior player in passing it out he has the same flaws in Keane that he can be a little mistake prone or get done on the pace but Yerry due to be at Barca can do the play out from the back and not be a nervous wreck.

It’s difficult to remember the season pre-lockdown when he was injured (3 games a week plus our medical team will do that to you), but Mina was head a shoulders our best player in the whole first half of the season. Plus he was comfortable enough carrying the ball into our nonexistent midfield at the time. Hopefully that won’t be as big a problem next season but I liked the initiative to drive up the pitch anyway. Even if it never worked due to aforementioned ‘midfield’

Think Keane is defensively solid in the right system, but I watched him literally get beasted for pace by Benteke.

I like the boy, but Zat keeps putting him and Gordon in his side and nobody can say that either will 100% nail down a place.

Branthy looks a very good prospect.

So yes, I agree, very harsh.
Not that harsh...
It has been a constant theme on here that it was Mason Holgate who was making Michael Keane look like a better player in the second half of the season whereas it is at least as much that Michael Keane has helped Holgate settle into a very good player. It has allowed Holgate the opportunity to continue his development into becoming a top quality defender.

Anthony Gordon and young Branthwaite are still on the first rung of the professional ladder and are nowhere near being ready to play every week in the first team... Gibson the same.
They will be used sparingly by the manager and let them learn their trade at a correct pace.
We have seen how Holgate has developed through the last couple of years, we have seen how important the loan at WBA was and we see something similar for Gibson at Fleetwood.

Let's accept the young players for what they are rather than expecting too much of them.

I should also say it is easier for a young player to come into a team playing well and full of cponfidence... which we are not.

The team doesnt have a "half-decent midfield" youre right, it also doesnt have a defence which isnt so much the sum of its parts but as strong as the weakest link. Thats evidenced by Coleman and/Sidibe + Keane being targeted by opposition players each match.

Ive not seen any evidence to show that Keane/Mina can be a successful partnership. Neither player looks comfortable on the left and neither are vocal nor positive playing out from the back as Ancelotti seems to favour.

The only reliable players who tick those boxes seem to be Holgate (better on the right) and Branthwaite (still young) with possibly Gibson to take into account as well. I also dont think Holgate is "average" in our squad, hes head and shoulders above Mina and to compare him with Keane would be like comparing Koeman and Kendall.

Hypothetically though, lets say we did go with your suggestion of Keane + Mina + Digne + a new right back all in a "low defensive line".

We then add in Allan + Doucoure + a winger (as you wrote) in midfield. The starting position of that midfield almost certainly would need to be sat within our half of the pitch.

Thats the drawback of a lack of defensive pace.

The forwards would also then need to be deep or isolated (which is why teams used to use this tactic and play long ball OR a very slow buildup to move up the pitch). So this negates the threat of the forwards and almost sets up like Burnley but with better forwards.

If it was me, i would sell Keane + sign a carbon copy of Gabriel (or even Tomori on loan as hes rapid) then bring in a right back with pace (Emerson/Aarons).

Those 2 signings would mean we could actually play a VERY high line halfway up the pitch as we know our defenders are faster than most forwards. The amount of offsides would be much higher and in turn, our midfielders would be in the opposition half.

For me, i would have gone Gabriel (LCB) Emerson (RB) Guimaraes (DM) Sarr (RW) or similar. All young high potential positive signings to continue the rebuild of the team.

Allan is top quality and Doucoure adds energy and goals BUT neither of them are more than a 3 year stopgap.

Seeing us sign those 2 and Arias is almost like a 'pause' in the rebuild and we would really need to focus on u21 players to develop for a spend of £70+mil on stopgaps to be worthwhile.

I don't see them as stopgap signings at all, more like a building a solid fondation, which is needed to develop these youngsters also which we don't have right now

Status
Not open for further replies.