Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we go into next season with the midfield we currently have then we will drop a few more places. We wouldn’t be in a Relegation fight but we would be close. If we drop a few more places Richarleson will be off.
We need to seriously improve the quality and fight in our midfield. With a denfensive midfielder and a new centre half this might be enough to stop us leaking goals and with a forward looking midfielder who can create a chance our forwards might be able to score a few.
I don’t really know if our defenders are good enough because they currently get no protection and I don’t know if DCL is good enough because the chances he gets are few and far between because he gets little or no service from midfield.
Sort out the middle and then let us see where we are.

I'm pretty sure most teams could say that they were in good form 'for a while' though? Ultimately we regressed back to the mean. We finished 12th, and our form under Ancelotti had us 10th. If we were top of the form chart at one point and finished 10th, then I assume there was another point at which we were effectively bottom of it, so it's probably better just to look at it as a whole. I think 10th is a pretty fair reflection of where we're at. I said before a ball had been kicked that looking at the squad 8th would be a good return, and I don't think too many neutrals are looking at our squad and thinking we're massively underachieving finishing 12th.

Gbamin is the big one of the players you mention. Obviously he was supposed to be a big part of the side and it's possible he would have made a huge difference. Delph's injury problems were well documented and he's not played regularly in central midfield for years so I don't really see that one as bad luck, and i've seen enough from Gomes both pre and post injury to think that any difference he made would have been minimal in the grand scheme of things.

Obviously you often can't make definitive decisions either way on how good the signings have been until their Everton careers are over, but in the real world we're going to discuss things on an ongoing basis. I think it's fair to see that so far our business under Brands has been in the 'OK' bracket, neither particularly good or particularly bad. I think another season like the last 2 will mean we have to re-evaluate that and deem that it probably hasn't been good enough. We need a good window to stop that from happening, because I've seen nothing from the squad we currently have to suggest they can do much better than they have been.

Holgates injury was a big factor in the negative form i think and thats why we went for Gabriel.

Scores goals though, good for 5+ a season.
I've been up and down on the idea of Doucoure, but there were several instances during the run-in where he lost possession trying to dribble out of his own box. That's idiot football at the best of times, and unforgivable when you're in the midst of a relegation battle.

If we go into next season with the midfield we currently have then we will drop a few more places. We wouldn’t be in a Relegation fight but we would be close. If we drop a few more places Richarleson will be off.

Actually reckon our back line is not too bad, maybe one in and Mina out, and with a fit Gbamin that's a new center mid... It's out wide in midfield is the problem they just don't threaten teams and gives opposition confidences to overload us in midfield which in turn has our defence on the back foot for long periods.

Status
Not open for further replies.