Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

woohoo 5 goals

Having a couple of midfielders chipping in with this amount would make a big difference next season (provided we can concede a fair bit less...).

I was having a look at our 08/09 stats and the stark difference goals wise was how we had so many players scoring a decent amount, from all over the team. We scored more than last season, even though no one scored double figures.

I see what you're saying but can you imagine the fume if we'd not bought anyone for 4 seasons and settled for 12th every year?
I didn't really mean not sign anyone at all. Just that saying look we need to just steady the ship a bit for a year or 2 while we build for the future might have been an idea. I think fans would be more accepting of it than you think if it was seen to be with a view to actually getting somewhere. Seeing as we've effectively just settled for doing exactly that anyway, but spent a lot of money to do it, I don't really see why it would have been a massive issue.

If he gets 15 starts next year then it shows how shocking our transfer business is.
He done well as cover but he should be out on loan getting experience, as a CB game time and experience is vital.
Or his development is extraordinary which would be a very welcome turn of events.

Up until the restart Carlo had this bunch of players top or very near the top of the form chart for a while.
Thats the same bunch of players that make no mistake were relegation candidates under Silva.
Things could have been much different if Gomes hadnt lost a leg , Gbamin didnt suffer 2/3 horrendous injuries and Delph could have kept fit.
With Carlo at the helm , a fully fit squad plus the managers new additions this team should crack on.
Its only then we will see the value of Brands transfer dealings.
I'm pretty sure most teams could say that they were in good form 'for a while' though? Ultimately we regressed back to the mean. We finished 12th, and our form under Ancelotti had us 10th. If we were top of the form chart at one point and finished 10th, then I assume there was another point at which we were effectively bottom of it, so it's probably better just to look at it as a whole. I think 10th is a pretty fair reflection of where we're at. I said before a ball had been kicked that looking at the squad 8th would be a good return, and I don't think too many neutrals are looking at our squad and thinking we're massively underachieving finishing 12th.

Gbamin is the big one of the players you mention. Obviously he was supposed to be a big part of the side and it's possible he would have made a huge difference. Delph's injury problems were well documented and he's not played regularly in central midfield for years so I don't really see that one as bad luck, and i've seen enough from Gomes both pre and post injury to think that any difference he made would have been minimal in the grand scheme of things.

Obviously you often can't make definitive decisions either way on how good the signings have been until their Everton careers are over, but in the real world we're going to discuss things on an ongoing basis. I think it's fair to see that so far our business under Brands has been in the 'OK' bracket, neither particularly good or particularly bad. I think another season like the last 2 will mean we have to re-evaluate that and deem that it probably hasn't been good enough. We need a good window to stop that from happening, because I've seen nothing from the squad we currently have to suggest they can do much better than they have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.