Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matic also springs to mind, Sanchez as well. I wouldn’t mind just being competitive for Europe as it goes, I’d take it from there.

There are pitfalls with young players to, remember we signed DCL, Henry, Vlasic and Lookman, we sold them all after not giving the majority a run and bottling it really as a philosphey when we all got a bit restless with results. DCL still standing mind.
Both those guys going to teams that can toss money around makes it different. We've just got to commit to the approach. Which I think I said before. Commit to a process.

No matter how we may all see Everton compared to other clubs. This extract from the BBC sports web site clearly shows how we are perceived by some (many ?) in the game and what that means in attracting players. Jesse Lingard could leave Manchester United in the summer, says former United midfielder Paul Scholes. "Jesse is a good lad, he just needs a run of games but I don’t think he will get that at Manchester United, maybe at a mid-table team like an Everton or West Ham.” https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53673652
Of course we are a mid table club.
I don’t see how anyone can convince themselves otherwise.
It’s not even questionable it’s a cold hard fact.
A generation since we were last champions and just one 4th place finish in the PL era.
What else could we be?
Even if you look at the entirety of our history our overall average finishing position is somewhere around 9th., I believe.

I think from a business point you are right, the balance of the squad needs to be young, take someone like Iwobi he’s likely as bad a signing as Bolaise, but in five years time and 28 when we have payed of his amort, we still have resale value, I see what Brands is doing there and it’s clever. Also head room for development. So in the main you want the majority of your squad in that profile. There are risks involved, lack of expierence, leadership etc. Time to develop etc.

So I think it’s prudent to take on a measure of risk, of an older profile a player, but the judgement on value has to be made in regard to fee and the value to the squad, that value, May have a short shelf life 3-4 years and no resale, but short term effectiveness may lead to secondary rewards. Hypothetically if signing Allan enabled us to qualify for Europe 3 seasons out of four, and 7 places higher in the league, it’s a no brainier.

In a real world decision, do you sign Allan or stick with young players and play Davies to start the season and let him develop.

So I think a mix of 75/25 80/20 is acceptable and intelligent if I’m honest.

The other thing to remember about young players is we are fattening calf’s as a business model, already this summer there is a tacit acceptance Richarlison is going next year, it’s frankly the greasy pole we have to climb, as is getting the expierenced players in to make a short term difference.

The concept of value is fascinating and we all have different ways of weighting it, think it’s important we don’t ignore any open to us.
The hope is that eventually we can get a bit lucky at the end and have 5 Richarlison level players at once who instead of all leaving just kick on here and we compete. It's a hard model but with the exception of that Leicester season we're talking about a sport with a strong correlation between money and success. We have to do some hard things to ever make it to being competitive.

I'm not really trying to State rules as much as guidelines. Is there a time when spending big on someone approaching 30 might be warranted? Of course. Is it possible a cheap deal for a 31 year old might be good? Sure. But by and large they should be avoided. All the ones that have come up so far this summer are big red lettered NOs for me. I know people disagree because they want to see success now but my perspective is we are at least two seasons away just on the basis of needing to spend time working out what system we want to commit to.
Ancelotti won’t be here for years. His resume tells us that. We need players for now. Price tags on players are generally only spoken about if they flop. If we signed this Allan guy for 30 mill but he ripped it up for two seasons that’s money well spent.

Ancelotti won’t be here for years. His resume tells us that. We need players for now. Price tags on players are generally only spoken about if they flop. If we signed this Allan guy for 30 mill but he ripped it up for two seasons that’s money well spent.
Then Ancelotti won't be here. I want him to be the guy for us but I'm far more concerned with setting up the whole system to reach a high level and keep us near it. That takes time.

Both those guys going to teams that can toss money around makes it different. We've just got to commit to the approach. Which I think I said before. Commit to a process.

Apart from all the older players who signed for success competing teams, what older players have signed for teams competing for success. lol

I still disagree mate, yes I think to have a philosphey or an approach in the main, I just don’t think it serves a purpose to be dogmatic in it, or closing of the value in older players, think we have to be open minded. Like I say ratios like 80/20.

P.S. Giroud & Ighalo.

I don't think it is possible for that to happen. What I am saying is someone at his age and level, given our financial constraints and the amount of players we need to be a good side, should only be considered for cheap. Maybe not strictly a free but the upper limit should be well below 30m.

I love Gana but if we signed him last summer for 30m it would have been mad. PSG don't have to worry about money.
I can’t imagine living in a world where Everton wouldn’t want to sign Willian. Is there Covid there? Trump? I may want to join you.

I can’t imagine living in a world where Everton wouldn’t want to sign Willian. Is there Covid there? Trump? I may want to join you.
I don't want 2020 Willian on a 3 year deal. I'd take 2018 Willian for 3 years. I'd take 2020 Willian for maybe 2 but preferably 1 with an option for another. But not 2020 Willian for 3.

Apart from all the older players who signed for success competing teams, what older players have signed for teams competing for success. lol

I still disagree mate, yes I think to have a philosphey or an approach in the main, I just don’t think it serves a purpose to be dogmatic in it, or closing of the value in older players, think we have to be open minded. Like I say ratios like 80/20.

P.S. Giroud & Ighalo.
You talk about value but I just don't see it being valuable for us to sign these guys now when our chances of competing aren't now. That's really what it comes down to. If we had 60 points last season and a settle manager and squad then it is a different equation. But we need to build a core and that can happen if the guys aren't lasting long.

Plus I think you're missing the point with someone like Giroud. We aren't Chelsea and can't think like them.

The hope is that eventually we can get a bit lucky at the end and have 5 Richarlison level players at once who instead of all leaving just kick on here and we compete. It's a hard model but with the exception of that Leicester season we're talking about a sport with a strong correlation between money and success. We have to do some hard things to ever make it to being competitive.

Hopefully eventually. There is a correlation, but it’s not absolute @catcherintherye was making the point the other day, in a lot of ways you won’t be competitive trying to find value where everyone else is, for the reason you mention. Things can be done differently, Leicester are an example, Mordor to go left field, even Sheff Utd and Burnley to an extent pound for pound confound the logic.

I often think of Spurs from 00s to the Appex of the CL final, 10 -15 years to get to the CL, buy young sell high, reinvest climbing rung after rung - appexing last year. Perhaps that’s the way, but I’m not convinced. I actually think Spurs lucked out with Poch if I’m honest. Mad letting him go.

Status
Not open for further replies.