Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would disagree with you there mate, we were talking about this the other day and the concept of value in the concept of money ball. Essentiall value is subjective and requires a judgement call, without being dogmatic and a slave to a particular ideology. In fact following a particular ideology may be undermining, given market forces.

Take someone like Milner, he was clearly a value signing despite his profile. Not sure we can afford to close our minds to that typr of deal and what it could offer.
I'm not really trying to State rules as much as guidelines. Is there a time when spending big on someone approaching 30 might be warranted? Of course. Is it possible a cheap deal for a 31 year old might be good? Sure. But by and large they should be avoided. All the ones that have come up so far this summer are big red lettered NOs for me. I know people disagree because they want to see success now but my perspective is we are at least two seasons away just on the basis of needing to spend time working out what system we want to commit to.

No matter how we may all see Everton compared to other clubs. This extract from the BBC sports web site clearly shows how we are perceived by some (many ?) in the game and what that means in attracting players. Jesse Lingard could leave Manchester United in the summer, says former United midfielder Paul Scholes. "Jesse is a good lad, he just needs a run of games but I don’t think he will get that at Manchester United, maybe at a mid-table team like an Everton or West Ham.” https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53673652

And what has paul scholes done since retirement? Good players don't always have good opinions.

I'm not really trying to State rules as much as guidelines. Is there a time when spending big on someone approaching 30 might be warranted? Of course. Is it possible a cheap deal for a 31 year old might be good? Sure. But by and large they should be avoided. All the ones that have come up so far this summer are big red lettered NOs for me. I know people disagree because they want to see success now but my perspective is we are at least two seasons away just on the basis of needing to spend time working out what system we want to commit to.

I think from a business point you are right, the balance of the squad needs to be young, take someone like Iwobi he’s likely as bad a signing as Bolaise, but in five years time and 28 when we have payed of his amort, we still have resale value, I see what Brands is doing there and it’s clever. Also head room for development. So in the main you want the majority of your squad in that profile. There are risks involved, lack of expierence, leadership etc. Time to develop etc.

So I think it’s prudent to take on a measure of risk, of an older profile a player, but the judgement on value has to be made in regard to fee and the value to the squad, that value, May have a short shelf life 3-4 years and no resale, but short term effectiveness may lead to secondary rewards. Hypothetically if signing Allan enabled us to qualify for Europe 3 seasons out of four, and 7 places higher in the league, it’s a no brainier.

In a real world decision, do you sign Allan or stick with young players and play Davies to start the season and let him develop.

So I think a mix of 75/25 80/20 is acceptable and intelligent if I’m honest.

The other thing to remember about young players is we are fattening calf’s as a business model, already this summer there is a tacit acceptance Richarlison is going next year, it’s frankly the greasy pole we have to climb, as is getting the expierenced players in to make a short term difference.

The concept of value is fascinating and we all have different ways of weighting it, think it’s important we don’t ignore any open to us.

Last edited:

How many teams with money as limited as ours are having success spending big on players on the back end of their prime (say 28+)? Zero right? And beyond that which of those are bringing in 32+ year olds? You say there is no set way but where is it happening?

Our money is not that limited...

Well Leicester won the league after signing Robert Huth (30), Christian Fuchs (29), Gokhan Inler (31) and Shinji Okazaki (29). You also had a 33 year old Marcin Wasilewski and a 28 year old Leandro Ulloa signed the season before. They even got a solid back up goalie in 42 year old Mark Schwarzer.

They key is to signing good players who work in your system, nothing else.

Besides you are making out like I am saying that we should sign all the old players again, you know I am not saying that at all. One or two in the right circumstances is totally fine.

Yeah I thought of that one. But Wolves are also most likely going to be one year in Europe and one year out. We're trying to be more than that right?

Matic also springs to mind, Sanchez as well. I wouldn’t mind just being competitive for Europe as it goes, I’d take it from there.

There are pitfalls with young players to, remember we signed DCL, Henry, Vlasic and Lookman, we sold them all after not giving the majority a run and bottling it really as a philosphey when we all got a bit restless with results. DCL still standing mind.

Last edited:

Well Leicester won the league after signing Robert Huth (30), Christian Fuchs (29), Gokhan Inler (31) and Shinji Okazaki (29). You also had a 33 year old Marcin Wasilewski and a 28 year old Leandro Ulloa signed the season before. They even got a solid back up goalie in 42 year old Mark Schwarzer.

Besides you are making out like I am saying that we should sign all the old players again, you know I am not saying that at all. One or two in the right circumstances is totally fine.
To do that, you need a system. We don't have one.

Using the biggest outlier in the last 30 years to prove your point actually does quite the opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.