Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always get the impression that Ratcliffe is sick of us being crap because he’s a winner and wants us to be the best in the country again. I think he’s similar to when Roy Keane lays into United.
Definitely true that Richarlison and Digne are great players though and we’ve got a few exciting youngsters who could come good too, only positive since restart was Gordon and Branthwaite looking very good and Holgate stepped up his game big time pre covid too this season.

Thats fair enough, and I'm not saying that a lot of his points arent valid.

I just think saying we have no great players is completely wide of the mark and unnecessary critisicm

How do we know those were our top 2 targets?

I think that almost literally everything written in the media about transfers is total jarg.
The Gabriel one seems more solid, I think even Joyce reported he visited FF so there obviously have been talks.

Hjolberg I’m less convinced about. Seems he’s been going to Spurs from day one. I suspect we had an interest but, since the briefing on it came from the South Coast, I reckon our name was being thrown about to put pressure on Spurs to up their bid.

The Gabriel one seems more solid, I think even Joyce reported he visited FF so there obviously have been talks.

Hjolberg I’m less convinced about. Seems he’s been going to Spurs from day one. I suspect we had an interest but, since the briefing on it came from the South Coast, I reckon our name was being thrown about to put pressure on Spurs to up their bid.

our local's confirmed a first bid for Hojbjerg

£18m for Watkins is the sort of deal I would be all over.

As would Jamal Lewis for £10m.

Young players with clear ability who will be hungry to establish themselves at this level. We need to get away from signing people solely for the fact we are paying them more. We are far less likely when we sign players who want to play for us so they can play in the premier league and better their career first and foremost.

Grealish is the sort of player we should have been looking at when we are going after Sigurdsson, Klaasen, Rooney etc. We have hamstrung ourselves for several seasons.

Lescott, Jags, Baines, Coleman, Cahill, Arteta. Top players who did not come from this league and did not cost us 5 times the going rate. These sort of transfers should be the backbone of our summer. We should only be shelling out big 30m plus fees on probably one player a window.
Ollie Watkns is an interesting one, done well in the championship but if we are realistic we need to look at other positions more than we do up top. Lewis is going to cost nearly double £10m. Pearce from the Athletic (Ex [Poor language removed] writer in the Echo) has said as much

What with us being in the market for a right winger, and apparently the club putting emphasis on scouting in Portugal (among others) I wonder whether we might have an eye on Marcus Edwards.

Ollie Watkns is an interesting one, done well in the championship but if we are realistic we need to look at other positions more than we do up top. Lewis is going to cost nearly double £10m. Pearce from the Athletic (Ex [Poor language removed] writer in the Echo) has said as much

I see Watkins as someone who could play across the frontline, although yes I think centre forward is his best position.

There are players out there who are good enough and would want to play in this league. I just wish we would show some organisation and forward thinking. We waste so much time on players who are leading us on, then end up overpaying on mediocre premier league no marks.

I see Watkins as someone who could play across the frontline, although yes I think centre forward is his best position
There are players out there who are good enough and would want to play in this league. I just wish we would show some organisation and forward thinking. We waste so much time on players who are leading us on, then end up overpaying on mediocre premier league no marks.
I agree mate, need to start looking to the championship sometimes and lower leagues around Europe to find players who see us as a step up (even a stepping stone) we obviously hoped that would happen with Gbamin but in typical Everton fashion the lads had 2 horror injuries.

I see Watkins as someone who could play across the frontline, although yes I think centre forward is his best position.

I know what you are saying mate.

But if we didnt even TRY and sign these players, everyone would moan and give the club abuse for not being ambitious enough.

We can't have it both ways. Just got to find the balance that we havent had in the last few transfer windows

Disappointed we never went for Nathan Ake , I thought we should have got him when he was out of favour at Chelsea .
I don’t like small CB, and think him and holgate wouid be a huge problem from a height point of view. I read somewhere Ake is one of the worst in the league for heading duels

I know what you are saying mate.

But if we didnt even TRY and sign these players, everyone would moan and give the club abuse for not being ambitious enough.

We can't have it both ways. Just got to find the balance that we havent had in the last few transfer windows

I get that and I was delusional enough myself to think we could get these players, but it has turned into a shambles. We need a complete revamp of our scouting and recruitment. We also need patience and time because of this.

I'm not against us using the loan market again to our advantage. Sometimes good players at elite clubs become available for season long loans and that could be our best way to get a top name.

I'm very interested to see what we do this summer because we have to show we have learned painful lessons.

Status
Not open for further replies.