Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolute correct, as I say, no right or wrong answer, hell sometimes both can be right and both can be wrong. Thing is, lets say we kept Gana last summer, would Carlo be desperate for the experience and quality that Allan will bring? The answer is probably not. So he's come in, looked at the squad and said 'We need X quality and traits and says I know just the man (Allan).

A change in manager naturally can bring a change in strategy. Personally think we said to Gana give us one more year or the rest of the season before PSG, and we stuck to our word, like we did with Stones, Lukaku. The most underlying problem we are having, is the change of managers. Brands said himself he was reluctant to remove Silva (before the sacking) as he believes consistency is a key part of success and changing brings instability, which is right, it does. Every time we change manager, our 'philosophy' and strategy has to change to match, OR we keep the same philosophy and hire a manager to fit into that framework.

Koeman and Walsh made an absolute mess of things. So we then hire Allardyce to stabilise things, we give him £50m and sign two distinctly poor players, one of whom has had a good career but is on the back end of it and isn't improving). We then, as planned get rid of Allardyce.

We then appoint Brands and Silva, Brands has to clean up the mess made by Koeman, and then furtehr down the line we have Tosun who we cant shift and Walcott who is overpaid, not effective and probably couldn't shift if we wanted to due to a lack of right sided players. We have an average season under Silva, but plenty of promise being shown towards the back end of the season. Great, things looking up, Richy looks a mpalyer, Digne has had a great season and we shopuld go and build on it. Do we build on it effectively? Not really. We then, after 15/16 months of having ANOTHER regime in charge, change manager again, this time one that is worth the change. He comes in and clearly, half this squda aren't up to it so it's ANOTHER rebuilding job, because the mess that has been made from the previous regime.

We need consistency desperately ranging from who the manager is, how he wants to set up and who he wants in. Since we are clearly working the way of the manager setting the style and the DOF working off that, we NOW need to give Ancelotti four years, have Brands work with him and have that stability long-term. Players that come in suit what Ancelotti needs. If we do that, we will be much stronger in four years I have no doubt, but we have got to stop changing things every 18 months because it ends up with the squad we have of different players, suited to different things and different styles.

Gylfi for me is a good example? Is he an awful footballer? No. Is he suited to playing fully central in a 2? No. Put him like a second striker role and he'll do better. Walcott? He stays wide but CA likes his Wide players to roam inside. Not suited (He can stll be useful from the bench, but not primarily starting). Holgate and Keane, different defenders, Holgate will be fine palying higher up but Keane isn't suited to it. I dont believe Davies is suited to any style. Bernard? In theory he should be ideal for CA, cutting in from the left, finding space, but has disappointed. Iwobi? Suited to CA? I doubt it, he doesnt fancy him at all.

Sorry for the long post, but when you delve into just how much change has happened at the club in the past 5/6/7/8 years, it shows just how obvious that change isn't helping the club by doing it every 18 months. I may have disgressed from the original point @Neiler

Ha great post mate, real passion and exasperation in there. Ive posted very much similarly in recent times on consistency and continuity. Wed disagree on some of those moving parts, but conceptionaly we are bang on in agreement.

The concept of value is interesting, Catchers points earlier on and my own above, it can be applied any way and you are right it can be subjective and depends and that is where you want you're DOF to shine, in that decision making.

A mix of gambles and shrewd buys IMO

Mane was good for Saints but you wouldn't think he'd reach the heights he has...hence why a snip at £30mill.

Allison was an expensive gamble IMO as he'd only had 1 season had Roma.

VVD was also an expensive buy not necessarily based on quality IMO but Saints reluctance to sell. Because if he had that standout talent, he wouldn't have spent 6 years at Celtic and Southampton combined before making a jump to a bigger club at 28. Especially when good CBs are in short supply.
The thing with nearly every player they have is that they have improved an awful lot. That's what the best managers do . Improve players. We have one now that needs to be backed

Today. You are correct
We need a new signing and proper quality soon. I am tired of reading about whom we are linked with, pushing and pushing and then to read other clubs are interested and they are most likely going there. The only one i heard not much else about is Allan, so let's hope we get that one done soon. Maybe if they are out of the CL .....

We have a brilliant youngish England international midfielder you can buy.
He's gonna turn out to be one of the very best players over the next 8-10 years and is a future England captain so will also help to bring in sponsorships after he lifts the World Cup ;)

You joke but he is genuinely better than anyone else we have unless Gomes can get fit again.

Status
Not open for further replies.