Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bolasie, Besic + Sandro coming back pretty much evens that up though.

We can shift Besic this summer, Sandro was willing to take a pay cut to extend his loan so presumably there is interest in him and he is slightly realistic about his value. Bolasie is an odd one. If Baines retires and we want to shift any of Pickford, Keane, Davies, Delph or Walcott, we need to make sure we have somebody who can take their place in the squad as homegrown. Bolasie qualifies for registration purposes (but then so would Kenny and Baningime). There is a small chance he could be at least a useful bench option that way, although given nobody has fancied him at Everton since his injury, who knows.

It seems very bleak ATM.
However 2 quality centre mids can transform this team.
Yes we would still need to strengthen in other areas but the introduction of two players that have hunger , desire , pace and physicality in midfield would make an enormous difference.

Hypothetical (assuming we don't want test the boundaries of FFP after today):

Would you sell Richarlison for and Digne for a combined 150M if it allowed us to clear out of Pickford, Siggy, Bolasie, Sandro, Bernard, and Tosun without penalty?

I think I would. The club needs a reset desperately.

Your gonna have to explain how selling Rico and Digne allows us to sell everybody else, cos its got me foxed.

Yes all big money sales but 1 is a release clause, 2 pre-pandemic.

I was merely pointing out they're not good indicators of prices not dropping as no one could bid any lower for Werner. Maybe without the release clause he'd have gone for less.
They absolutely COULD bid lower. That's my entire point. You're misunderstanding what a release clause is. It sets the MAXIMUM a player can go for, not (automatically) the minimum. Now those two figures may be the same but there is no mandate that this be the case.

Why would you ever sell an in-demand player for less than his release clause?
You wouldn't. But not all players with release clauses are in demand, and for those players, they can still be sold, for less than the clause.

They absolutely COULD bid lower. That's my entire point. You're misunderstanding what a release clause is. It sets the MAXIMUM a player can go for, not (automatically) the minimum. Now those two figures may be the same but there is no mandate that this be the case.

You wouldn't. But not all players with release clauses are in demand, and for those players, they can still be sold, for less than the clause.

No mate you're not getting it whatsoever.

Saying "prices haven't dropped, Werner went for 50m!" - which Mr Grinch said - is not a relevant example as he wouldn't be sold for anything less than that.

No mate you're not getting it whatsoever.

Saying "prices haven't dropped, Werner went for 50m!" - which Mr Grinch said - is not a relevant example as he wouldn't be sold for anything less than that.
What you said "no one could bid any less for him" is just factually untrue. Teams were at their liberty to bid less, and RBL were at their liberty to sell for less, if prices had plummeted as some seem to think they have/will

Now you're saying "he WOULDN'T" have been sold for less... well perhaps so, but that means the prices haven't dropped below the point where he would be sold for less than that.

What you said "no one could bid any less for him" is just factually untrue. Teams were at their liberty to bid less, and RBL were at their liberty to sell for less, if prices had plummeted as some seem to think they have/will

Now you're saying "he WOULDN'T" have been sold for less... well perhaps so, but that means the prices haven't dropped below the point where he would be sold for less than that.

But he was sold at the top of the market before football realised it was going to have to manage in straitened circumstances. There was no circumstance in which he would have been allowed to leave for less than his release clause.

The statement you're looking for is "nobody who actually wanted him to play for them could bid any less for him and hope to be successful"

Well I said no one could bid for less because RBL wouldn't have accepted less - they weren't being held over a barrel for their star striker.

Picking two players signed pre-COVID and one player signed from a financially healthy club at his release clause are crap examples that the market hasn't changed.

You can't see that, that's fine, crack on.

Status
Not open for further replies.