Everton Supporters Trust Safe Standing Survey

Status
Not open for further replies.
....done, can never understand why anybody would want to watch and analyse a football match whilst standing up but each to their own. Give me a seat and unobstructed view with plenty of leg room any day. Imagine standing at the cinema.

Football... Cinema. Really?

FOOTBALL.
CINEMA.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD GRIEF

Yet attendances are up since then.

The atmosphere is more due to the fact that everyone lives on their phones and that there is a massive disconnect between the players and fans these days I reckon. And the fact that its all a bit pointless for the also ran clubs.

Doesn't stop European clubs creating infinitely better atmospheres.

If there is a specific standing section, those that want to be in there aren't going to be stood around on their phones.

Last edited:
....done, can never understand why anybody would want to watch and analyse a football match whilst standing up but each to their own. Give me a seat and unobstructed view with plenty of leg room any day. Imagine standing at the cinema.

So a standing section would benefit you, as there would be nobody to obstruct your view from your seated area.

Some people just want to enjoy a football match, not analyse it.

Why not give everyone the option? Instead of wanting the entire crowd to follow your personal preference.

If the ratio is 1:1 that wont make tickets any cheaper, will it? Standing at away matches is the norm now anyway. (With the exception of Arsenal I suppose) I completed survey and I much prefer to stand. But at six feet tall I seldom have any problems seeing over people in front of me. This would probably be taken care of by the degree of the banking.

I believe celtic have made it cheaper in their section anyway but no I wouldn't expect English clubs to do the same.

This would only be an initial stage as well.

On the video a page back Hanover increase from 300 seats to 5200 (i think, without watching it again) standing, so at a ratio it increases capacity by quite a bit....

I do question why standing would be cheaper, if based on a 1:1 ratio. Where is the saving?

Don't know mate tbh. I'm only going on what other people have said. If it is 1:1 you do wonder where any savings would come from. But somebody else said 3000 to 5200 at one stadium. So who knows?

Ratio is 1:1.8. For every 40 seats 72 people will stand, stipulated in the green guide (A guide to safety at Sports Grounds)

Link is here

Probably is a personal preference but I was around when terracing was in use and I hated it.

I was only young but it used to scare the hell out of me. And it stunk. There would be all kinds of dodgy stuff going on as well. I know the concept is safe standing but its still an extra risk regardless and I dont see any point of it.

I don't understand if given a choice between standing for 2 hours or sitting people would choose to stand. I suppose I would have to try it myself.

What's the risk exactly?

I think the promise of cheaper tickets for standing might actually sway a few undecideds.

I do hope this thread has provided a good bit of qualitative info to go along with your survey. It's certainly an issue that requires emotive justification beyond a set of figures.

Oh yes, definitely. A wider debate has to be had on the subject and for that to be taken seriously you need people on both sides of the debate to have their say. A public debate is something we may look at in the future. I believe SOS have committed to a "Question Time" type debate in the time scale they released a couple of weeks ago, it may be something we look to do ourselves, or maybe even try to do in conjunction with them.

I really think we have to draw a line on this and do what we think is right for us and for football generally.

We stood shoulder to shoulder every day since Hillsborough - it would not be a lack of respect now for us to form our own opinions.

I think you're dead right here, the stance of the Hillsborough justice campaign should also be noted, welcomed & admired.

It's only just occured to me that many on here have never even stood at a match, at a major one anyway. Personally, I loved it, then when I was able to afford a seat, and the eventual ban on terracing, I soon got over it.
I do miss it though. Obviously it will be much safer if it were to happen and I don't think anyone could argue that the atmosphere was enhanced on the terraces.
Thankfully, stadium designs and health and safety at games has moved on considerably so I'm sure everything would have to be just right before they were re-introduced.
If the fans want it, then it's a big yes from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.