Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I want to know is why the club leaked that they were confident of the Diaz deal. It's nonesense like that which gets the hopes of fans up (only to turn to rage when it doesn't come to fruition), but which also makes us look like utter chumps in the media.

Surely if they want to string fans along, it has to be a player we genuinely stand a chance of getting, or just general nonspecific statements about pursuing multiple targets.
It's straight from the Kenwright era playbook.

What I want to know is why the club leaked that they were confident of the Diaz deal. It's nonesense like that which gets the hopes of fans up (only to turn to rage when it doesn't come to fruition), but which also makes us look like utter chumps in the media.

Surely if they want to string fans along, it has to be a player we genuinely stand a chance of getting, or just general nonspecific statements about pursuing multiple targets.
Did they? Do you have direct links from the club stating that they were confident of signing Diaz?
Only YOU are responsible for getting your hopes up, certainly NOT the club.

"If they want to string fans along" lol lol lol
I must have missed the official announcement.

It's straight from the Kenwright era playbook.
But that was always about appeasing us because we were so poor in relation to other clubs. If it was reaffirmed that we have no money to make major signings this window, I think most of us would have accepted it and looked at the business we have done as the best business possible given the constraints.

To go after a quality player and come out with £1.7 m spent is outrageous and has annoyed us all. The club have leaked it to the favoured journos and stated their confidence. Surely they can't be so stupid to think a phantom transfer would work like this??

Still, it being the Everton board, you never know.

That would be monumentally stupid to release the one bit of genuine quality from the team. We've got more pace and power, which a good thing, we are getting the ball forward quicker, but if we don't sign players who have top level quality to go with those other attributes (something Diaz would have done unfortunately) we need to use the quality we have.

There will be games where we can't unpick defences, which James can do with ease - particularly now he will have a couple more runners. There will also be games, particularly against good teams where we need a player who can find pockets of space and keep the ball effectively- something he can do. We will also have games that we will need to see out with a bit of intelligence - something he can do. Also, it has been noticeable that delivery from set pieces has been poor - another thing James is great at.

For me one of the biggest positives to take from a disastrous window is that he is still here. I wouldn't have minded him going if it facilitated better quality that suited the way the manager wanted to play - such as signing Diaz, as opposed to players like McNeil. But it didn't happen. We should use him and I hope Benitez does - he would be a fool not to and the club would be beyond pathetic to cancel his contract. We need all hands to the pump with this awful squad - particularly in the Xmas period!
Like I said it’s the managers call on if he fits into what he is trying to achieve. For me, based on what we have seen so far this season, Benitez wants a team who work hard, Hamaz doesn’t run!

So our transfer window equates to:

Ins:
Andros Townsend. Free. Crystal Palace. Age 30
Asmir Begovic. Free. Bournemouth. Age 34
Demarai Gray. £1.7m. Bayer Leverkusen. Age 25
Andy Lonergan. Free. WBA. Age 37
Salomon Rondon. Free. Dalian Professional. Age 31

Outs:
Ellis Simms. Loan. Blackpool. Age 20
Lewis Gibson. Loan. Sheffield Wednesday. Age 21
Nathangelo Markel. Free. PSV Eindhoven. Age 22
Josh Bowler. Free. Blackpool. Age 22
Callum Connolly. Free. Blackpool. Age 23
Dennis Adeniran. Free. Sheffield Wednesday. Age 22
Matthew Pennington. Free. Shrewsbury. Age 26
Mo Besic. Released. Age 28
Theo Walcott. Free. Southampton. Age 32
Joshua King. Free. Watford. Age 29
Yannick Bolasie. Free. Çaykur Rizespor. Age 32
Bernard. £900k. Sharjah FC. Age 28
Beni Baningime. Free. Hearts. Age 22
Nathan Broadhead. Loan. Sunderland. Age 23
João Virginia. Loan. Sporting Lisbon. Age 21
Moise Kean. Loan. Juventus. Age 21
Niels Nkounkou. Loan. Standard Liege. Age 20.

We are left with only Digne at LB and Coleman and Kenny at RB. The average age of our signings is 32. Fair dues to @Noisy noise annoys for fronting this out but this has been a horror show of a window. Moshiri will sink this club.
That is one massive pile of wombat doo. When you look at that list, when you look at who is still here, we must be be amongst the worst-run clubs in PL history. It’s shameful.

The right back debacle is criminal there is no way of getting round it. Brands has utterly failed in this respect now for the past three or four windows.

However other than that, i am glad we didn't panic buy on deadline day, we have done it too much in the past and wasted millions on players and that's what's gotten us into this mess.

A few more off the books at the end of the season and hopefully we can start a new strategy of being more prudent and getting the right fit for the club and not just chucking obscene amounts of cash around

Did they? Do you have direct links from the club stating that they were confident of signing Diaz?
Only YOU are responsible for getting your hopes up, certainly NOT the club.

"If they want to string fans along" lol lol lol
I must have missed the official announcement.
Mate have a word with yourself. Clubs leak to favoured journos all the time. It was that group - talksport/Joyce/King etc. that these stories went through again.

I'm glad to see that you think I am the only Evertonian who allowed himself to have his hopes raised. I wish I had your level of restraint and understanding of things :coffee:

Like I said it’s the managers call on if he fits into what he is trying to achieve. For me, based on what we have seen so far this season, Benitez wants a team who work hard, Hamaz doesn’t run!
Neither did Xabi Alonso in the most successful side he managed - different part of midfield, granted- but if you've got everyone else moving players don't need to run all the time. And running isn't the only definition of working hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.