Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sport is all about opinions and I’m sure you have some well held views but you’ll struggle to find more than a small handful of football fans who could possibly compare Dwight Gayle and Cameron Jerome (even in their prime) with Buendia.

I may not have had the privilege of watching as many fantastic players in my team as Everton fans have had over the years but I saw my first game at Carrow Road in 1969 and Buendia is, in my opinion, the most gifted creative player I have ever seen in a Norwich shirt.

A lot of you guys didn’t appreciate how good Godfrey was going to be for Everton but Buendia is already skilful enough to play for an established top 4 side either in England or Spain.

It amazed me that no club signed him before the start of this season but I think he will be sold. It will be interesting to see who he signs for during the summer.
You honestly think Farke will take two of your biggest names being sold just as he gets another go at the PL.
Id have thought he could take the hit on a RB and replace, but to lose your main creative player as well?

You honestly think Farke will take two of your biggest names being sold just as he gets another go at the PL.
Id have thought he could take the hit on a RB and replace, but to lose your main creative player as well?
I guess it depends on how much cash they may want to raise this time around. Farke knows the score.

I would hope that Buendia stays but I think his team may believe this is the time to depart for a new challenge. Who knows?

Aarons would be a better option for a departure particularly if they could get Sam Byram fit again. If so, they wouldn’t even need to buy a replacement straight away.

I agree though, a RB is more readily replaceable than a star creative player.

The sport is all about opinions and I’m sure you have some well held views but you’ll struggle to find more than a small handful of football fans who could possibly compare Dwight Gayle and Cameron Jerome (even in their prime) with Buendia.

I may not have had the privilege of watching as many fantastic players in my team as Everton fans have had over the years but I saw my first game at Carrow Road in 1969 and Buendia is, in my opinion, the most gifted creative player I have ever seen in a Norwich shirt.

A lot of you guys didn’t appreciate how good Godfrey was going to be for Everton but Buendia is already skilful enough to play for an established top 4 side either in England or Spain.

It amazed me that no club signed him before the start of this season but I think he will be sold. It will be interesting to see who he signs for during the summer.
What do you make of Aarons mate ? TBH I was pleasantly surprised with Godfrey, has the makings of a top, top player, love his pace, something our team is a little short of. Serious question, why do you think you went down, seems to be so many good players at Norwich and as I remember they always tried to play football.

Every time I have seen Buendia I have been impressed. I would be very surprised if Norwich sell him unless someone offers really stupid money. In the current climate, I doubt that will happen.

My own take is that he is a great talent and will probably move at the end of next season for big money.

I guess it depends on how much cash they may want to raise this time around. Farke knows the score.

I would hope that Buendia stays but I think his team may believe this is the time to depart for a new challenge. Who knows?

Aarons would be a better option for a departure particularly if they could get Sam Byram fit again. If so, they wouldn’t even need to buy a replacement straight away.

I agree though, a RB is more readily replaceable than a star creative player.

I think Norwich would sell Buendia and Aarons this summer....£60mil / £70mil or whatever it may be.

Rather than then selling those players at the end of the next season (and possibly doing so after being relegated) they would do so from a position of strength.

Additionally, they can use the money and sign 4 young players with it. Thats with the view of selling those for for £25-30mil each in a seasons time.

Rather than waiting a season for the £60-70mil they would be aiming for £100-120mil next summer.

Every time I have seen Buendia I have been impressed. I would be very surprised if Norwich sell him unless someone offers really stupid money. In the current climate, I doubt that will happen.

My own take is that he is a great talent and will probably move at the end of next season for big money.

What happens if he flops or gets a bad injury?

They would be better off selling this summer if they get a good offer and reinvesting the money.

I'm not sure if that was meant to be a reply to me? If it was nothing you've said there refutes what I said at all.
Not saying we shouldn’t sign Buendia but 1. ‘Top class championship player’ is a bit of an oxymoron and 2. Dropping £40m on a player who has never produced at the highest level is absolutely not, in any way shape or form, ‘low risk’.

Oh you were using those figures as evidence of him producing? Producing one goal? Right you are. Carry on then.
In a team bottom of he table, 7 assists, a goal and 2.4 key passes per 90 in his first season in the PL, yeah that's producing. ;) What do you expect?

I wouldn't take it personally. For context, fans of Burnley, Swansea, Sunderland, Besiktas etc have all come on here at various times and told us we have no right to be sniffy about their player who would undoubtedly be our best player by a mile if they came. And then they've all been crap. It's natural for us to be a bit wary.

Godfrey's actually a pretty good example of why it can be hard when players step up. For all the plaudits we give him (and I know people will come at me for this) he hasn't actually been that good. He's shown loads of promise, and I have no doubt that he's a good signing for the long term, but ultimately he hasn't really forced his way into the team in his preferred position, and most of his best performances have been in the 'excellent for a centre half playing left back' category, rather than plain old excellent. We're not there yet but we're aiming to be a top 4 contender in the pretty near future, it's a big step from the Championship to that.

In a team bottom of he table, 7 assists, a goal and 2.4 key passes per 90 in his first season in the PL, yeah that's producing. ;) What do you expect?
It's not that that's rubbish, it's just not really 'producing' is it? Like if we signed him for £40m and he never did better than that, we sure as hell wouldn't be getting £40m back for him, so it certainly couldn't be deemed low risk. There is a big risk, clearly, because we'd be banking on him posting much better figures simply because he's in a better team, which isn't always the case (the same argument was made when we signed Sigurdsson for example). It's also worth pointing out that while that Norwich side wasn't great, it was infinitely more attacking than this Everton side. He could pass forward a lot because they constantly had half their team ahead of the ball. It was tactically embarrassing, but it was good to watch.

It's not that that's rubbish, it's just not really 'producing' is it? Like if we signed him for £40m and he never did better than that, we sure as hell wouldn't be getting £40m back for him, so it certainly couldn't be deemed low risk. There is a big risk, clearly, because we'd be banking on him posting much better figures simply because he's in a better team, which isn't always the case (the same argument was made when we signed Sigurdsson for example). It's also worth pointing out that while that Norwich side wasn't great, it was infinitely more attacking than this Everton side. He could pass forward a lot because they constantly had half their team ahead of the ball. It was tactically embarrassing, but it was good to watch.
I doubt £40 million would be paid upfront, probably with bonuses with a certain amount g/a and that, probably a bit more than Godfrey upfront I would say.

Here's a shopping list based on names mentioned in the last dozen pages...

RB: Aarons (Norwich)
RW / RM / AM: Olise (Reading)
LW / CF: Neto (Wolves)

I reckon £80m gets all three of them.

Wages are mostly covered by Besic, Bolasie, Pennington and Walcott all leaving this summer (all out of contract).

Generate some incoming funds by selling Bernard, Delph, Kenny and Tosun for around £5m each (and free up over £220k p/w wages in the process).

If there are decent bids for Gomes and Kean, sell them.

Just leaves me looking for a world-class CM....
Tree.
That doesn't look like much quality and a large risk for an enormous sprnd

I doubt £40 million would be paid upfront, probably with bonuses with a certain amount g/a and that, probably a bit more than Godfrey upfront I would say.
Could have saved ourselves a few posts if you'd just said that earlier, seeing as the whole point was the fee you quoted being a big risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.