Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
McNeil has played almost exclusively on the left for Burnley. He provides a lot of their crosses to their two grock strikers.

The problem is that having a left-footer on the left who likes to go on the outside and cross means that our excellent left back who also likes to go on the outside and cross has no space to move into to do that. Makes no sense. You cut off a big part of our supply route. We don't need anyone at all who plays on the left.

If McNeil were to play on the right, it makes more sense as long as we signed a right back who can overlap and deliver a ball. McNeil is statistically one of the most one-footed players in the league, so would always cut in on that left foot. Still, we have been crying out for pace in our attack and McNeil doesn't even address that remotely.

Bailey would have ticked a lot of boxes for us, but circumstances are against us on that. My only hope is that Burnley demand far too much money and/or there's a cheaper/better alternative somewhere around.
About sums things up; no pace, no right foot, and very poor stats at a price we shouldn't pay if numbers on here are accurate. Play him on the left and Digne's overlaps are gone, plays on the right opposition know he will cut inside 99% of the time what's the point?

amuses me, how many people watch loads of Bundesliga footy? I do and Leon Bailey is bang average. Like has been said before... if he was great either Bayern or Dortmund would be after him and Leverkusen wouldn't be selling him..

Oh and the team buying is a mid table side!

McNeil has loads of class about him... but it's well known around here that he wants to play CM

Think McNeil is good in that he's only 21 and has room to develop - got to also consider we have arguably the best header of the ball up top in DCL so having someone who can put in decent crosses from outwide is a positive.
But McNeil plays wide left, and is rather one-footed. So if you want him banging in crosses, it will have to be from the left, meaning he will be operating in exactly the same space from which Digne can send crosses in. In that scenario, you aren't actually increasing the volume of crosses coming in because there's still only one ball, and you're still only playing crosses in from one side.

We need a right-sided attacking player to play week in, week out. Needs to be a better player than Townsend, and more likely to be fit to play 35 games a season (which is Rodriguez's failing).

Once we bin off one of the most talented players in Europe, in beautiful James, at least we are making it easier for the opposition to figure out our plan of attack

The fat pig will clearly have us playing hoof balls to the wing with these average players swinging balls into the box.

Im sure this will be VERY HARD to defend against

I can’t wait for it, it’s going to be such a lovely 9 months, honest.

Once we bin off one of the most talented players in Europe, in beautiful James, at least we are making it easier for the opposition to figure out our plan of attack

The fat pig will clearly have us playing hoof balls to the wing with these average players swinging balls into the box.

Sadly We are now the new Newcastle

McNeil is a strange link.

Makes sense if the plan is to put in balls to DCL.

Doesnt make sense as were crying out for pace.

If hes on the left in front of Digne we could put alot of balls in from there, but thinking about it i wonder if Digne would be able to overlap with a left footer...

If he was played on the right in front of Aarons then we'd have the pace and McNeil could cut inside on his left as James does.

If we got both and it 'clicked' then were sorted on the right for a long long time.

McNeil has played almost exclusively on the left for Burnley. He provides a lot of their crosses to their two grock strikers.

The problem is that having a left-footer on the left who likes to go on the outside and cross means that our excellent left back who also likes to go on the outside and cross has no space to move into to do that. Makes no sense. You cut off a big part of our supply route. We don't need anyone at all who plays on the left.

If McNeil were to play on the right, it makes more sense as long as we signed a right back who can overlap and deliver a ball. McNeil is statistically one of the most one-footed players in the league, so would always cut in on that left foot. Still, we have been crying out for pace in our attack and McNeil doesn't even address that remotely.

Bailey would have ticked a lot of boxes for us, but circumstances are against us on that. My only hope is that Burnley demand far too much money and/or there's a cheaper/better alternative somewhere around.

Pereira > McNeil.

Pereira widely reported as cheaper than McNeil.

Lids on here begging for us to sign McNeil.

Everton that.

But McNeil plays wide left, and is rather one-footed. So if you want him banging in crosses, it will have to be from the left, meaning he will be operating in exactly the same space from which Digne can send crosses in. In that scenario, you aren't actually increasing the volume of crosses coming in because there's still only one ball, and you're still only playing crosses in from one side.

We need a right-sided attacking player to play week in, week out. Needs to be a better player than Townsend, and more likely to be fit to play 35 games a season (which is Rodriguez's failing).

I said the same about McNeil this morning.

If he plays on the left we may limit Digne.
If he plays on the right then he'll drift inside like James.

If we need pace then he doesnt bring that to the table...neither does James.

The only logic i can see is if we were to keep James and have him rotating with McNeil on the right. Then it makes alot of sense.

We'd still need a quick right back to make the overlap as well.

If we move James on and signed McNeil then its a downgrade.

I have a feeling Richarlison will be moved onto the right tbh he looked much better at RW under Silva and plays there for Brazil.

McNeil and Digne could be a good partnership if they over lap etc - I think we become too predictable when the only means of attack is give it Digne to whip in - having that player overlapping can have the opposition 2nd guessing.

Who knows though although I think with the Echo, Joyce and Athletic all mentioning him a target there seems to be something in it.

It's Marco Silva levels of one-dimensional play. As if some of the best centre halfs in world football will struggle under a high cross.

Hopefully all of our opposition will play the same suicidal high line that the Pumas defence played.

Status
Not open for further replies.