Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was hoping we'd try our luck again late on for the Ukranian lad Mudryk, after watching 2 mins of youtube clips I was sold

Well, I will personally be stunned if we stay up this season. An absolute shocker from the club. Could have brought in a decent option or 2 from abroad, but instead we get Maupay and McNeil.

Club have had an absolute shocker.
I'm not convinced by McNeil and Maupay either, but it's hard to say that the rest of the work carried out by the club during this window has been anything less than very good.

Tarkowski, Coady, Vinagre all look good in defence so far, and the outlay to bring them in was VERY low.

Gana for £2m is a steal. I wasn't sure about the idea of spending £8m on him, but £2m is very low-risk. Maybe we only get a season out of him, but he buys time for Garner and Onana to develop and also reduces the need for us to play a back 5 so often.

Onana looks the part so far and although the £33m price tag creates a LOT of expectation, he's got youth on his side. He's likely to be the man who pushes Doucoure out of the squad over time.

Garner for £9m is a worthwhile gamble, he was excellent for Forest last season by all accounts. If we end up paying the add-ons then he's probably a success.

And often overlooked is the outgoing business. Warrington has a loan, which is a great move for his development. Gbamin is out on loan - good. Gomes is out on loan - good. Dele Alli is out on loan - good. Even if we only get a small contribution to their wages, we've still created space in the matchday squad for the new arrivals and removed some potentially unhappy players from the locker room. Excellent work, and maybe one of them earns a permanent move in January.

It's only really the wide right position where we're struggling right this moment. Maybe McNeil comes good over time and maybe he doesn't.

I'm not convinced by McNeil and Maupay either, but it's hard to say that the rest of the work carried out by the club during this window has been anything less than very good.

Tarkowski, Coady, Vinagre all look good in defence so far, and the outlay to bring them in was VERY low.

Gana for £2m is a steal. I wasn't sure about the idea of spending £8m on him, but £2m is very low-risk. Maybe we only get a season out of him, but he buys time for Garner and Onana to develop and also reduces the need for us to play a back 5 so often.

Onana looks the part so far and although the £33m price tag creates a LOT of expectation, he's got youth on his side. He's likely to be the man who pushes Doucoure out of the squad over time.

Garner for £9m is a worthwhile gamble, he was excellent for Forest last season by all accounts. If we end up paying the add-ons then he's probably a success.

And often overlooked is the outgoing business. Warrington has a loan, which is a great move for his development. Gbamin is out on loan - good. Gomes is out on loan - good. Dele Alli is out on loan - good. Even if we only get a small contribution to their wages, we've still created space in the matchday squad for the new arrivals and removed some potentially unhappy players from the locker room. Excellent work, and maybe one of them earns a permanent move in January.

It's only really the wide right position where we're struggling right this moment. Maybe McNeil comes good over time and maybe he doesn't.
Gordon will take that role .....

Well, I will personally be stunned if we stay up this season. An absolute shocker from the club. Could have brought in a decent option or 2 from abroad, but instead we get Maupay and McNeil.

Club have had an absolute shocker.
I would agree, if we have no way of imposing our game on the opponent then we’re going to be doing a lot of defending.

In short, we’re even more predictable than before and the opposition managers will only need to shut down Gordon.

Watch us start games well and receed by the minute.

You can’t impose your game by becoming more rigid.

Look at the bench last game, how do we change games?

I understand that it seems a good idea to be on more solid but if you build trenches don’t be surprised if you end up in them.

The batman
Screenshot_20220731-201922_Google.jpg

I don’t think he can cross unfortunately and he’s not very fast, leave him where he is. He can thread a ball through and works hard and can get us up the pitch on occasional transitions. Why change something that works? If we’re short in the wide areas then by all means use him as emergency cover.
Doesn't need to be fast or cross but he can be an inside forward threading diagonal passes to a marauding onana or outside to an overlapping Patterson. His change in mindset has been huge, just the sheer workrate and belief will be a positive anywhere.

It feels like they have a plan for the first time in awhile. Small outlays on the older players that fill the squad out, spend the money on younger players you can try to build around. Lots of work to do but for the first time in awhile I do have some faith in the path we're on.

Of course the other side is we still remain one of the worst teams in the division and badly need to sort it out enough to stay up. We can do that though I think and hopefully push on from there.

Nonsense. Other than not getting another forward we’ve massively improved our defence and even more so improved our midfield. Last summer transfer window was a shocker, spending hundreds of millions on garbage was a shocker improving our squad overall definitely isn’t a shocker.

Genuinely starting to think you’re just a genuinely really good troll that posts stuff that is so bad it’s exactly the type of stuff Dwight from the office would post if he was on this forum.
Exactly this. Anyone claiming that we’re certain to go down already are chatting absolute bollocks. We were objectively a far worse team in like 7 of the 11 positions on the pitch, the rest of the squad and as well as a worse manager too.

People saying we’re guaranteed to be about 14th or 15th I can understand albeit still think is negative, claiming relegation though suggests to me that these people don’t even watch the matches.

I would have liked another attacker but once they bought McNeil and declined the offers for Gordon they made their choice. Gordon stepping up basically has to happen. Early signs aren't awful so let's hope he keeps going.
Exactly. I don't trust Thelwell - he'll have to earn it after Brands - but 90m was spent this summer and a bid of about 50m for Gordon was rejected, so nobody can say the purse strings were tightened to a paralysing extent or that the manager did not have options. He decided that Gordon was his man, so he was allowed keep him. Now we need to see why he was kept. Two goals so far suggest promise and provide the first down payment in vindication, but Gordon has set his new baseline now and must meet it consistently if his manager's faith is to be rewarded.

I, too, would have liked another forward, but the manager has been given options and has played some interesting cards (keeping Gordon among them). He got his way. Now let's see him build something.

Judge us at the end of the window he said and while improvements were made, I fear it may all count for nothing as while we may be better at the back and be better in midfield to keep possession, if we can’t capitalise on that by scoring goals then we are in for a season of tight games that could go either way depending on luck, VAR etc

Status
Not open for further replies.