Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
In reply to the above review, one of the best things about this window was to keep hold of Gordon and to turn down any apparently inflated bid.

A local Evertonian who with better players and manager around him to support and learn from, plus a striker to put things in the back of the net, he will continue to grow and grow this season. Ideally will then stay with us, but I am hopeful that he has the season which puts him in the bracket of 65-70m+ by next summer.

Gets shut of the simulation (havent seen much this season) and continues to deliver with end product!

Another good season with us and then even more return come next year!
Time will tell if the first sentence of your post is correct.

I would have sold him and reconfigured the attack but , obviously , I now hope that you're right.

Reviewing the Summer Window

In new acquisitions Thelwell did a prudent job on a few fronts. In terms of the players added in the last two windows, I think the club is starting to learn from past blunders in regards to recruitment. In general smaller sums and younger profiles is a welcomed change. The veteran adds are bit more than I would have liked, but thats partially reflected in their acquisition cost and assure a level of safety that I understand is necessary.

Longterm I have questions in Thelwell’s network beyond the UK. There seems a lot of zeroing in on specific player’s and marginally ignoring what could also be got for the same amount. But the process of cleaning the books seems in place and the general younger age add to needed value propositions in the future. Would I have targeted different players in a lot of cases (esp McNeil and Maupay) yes! but for the most part the rationale and or the fees are acceptable for the new adds.

Unfortunately what could end up the most impactful decision is the choice not to sell Gordon. Thelwell made sensible additions that should create enough room for safety in a cost effective manner. That last point especially is a necessary change at the club. But choosing not to profit off an inflated value I find worrisome for deals in the future. We have consistently been overly reluctant to sell our best players which leads to exits commonly at low returns. A mistake thats helped lead to this downtime at the club. Sell on strategy and maximizing the market has to be a strength for this team to course correct and seriously climb the table. If I compare us to the likes of Brighton and Brentford, I think they both do that deal. If the Gallagher Broja and 25 million deal was legitimate its abhorrent to have been passed on (although I don’t think it was TBF).

Gordon might sustain value and or the replacements that would have been needed, not able to be brought in. It seems the young english leaning profile and domestic recruitment is a point of emphasis and selling AG might have effected the changing room. But the realism is there is high potential he doesn’t retain this value in output on the pitch and in a future deal even if he improves this year. It’s possible thats not true but IMO thats the club playing with fire. Its cutesy to not grab an excessive bag in front of you.

All in all I think we will be safe with the additions and have reasonably priced youth that should be exciting to watch grow. Let’s hope that’s even more the approach in the windows to come.
Whilst I agree to an extent, whilst selling Gordon would have generated a lot of money we aren't an attractive proposition at this moment in time. If Onana and Garner have good seasons and we look like a club that's going places then we could attract players and use the money well.

1. No it wasnt, twitter is not authoritative
2. I know its just a giant coincidence that we spent about the same amount as we got from Richy.
3. It makes less than zero sense for the league to be monitoring our spending and telling us what we can spend and then allow us to do everything based on the thought that maybe kinda we could maybe not violate the spending rules if we might possibly sell a player on the last day of the year. Its basic common sense, which you can choose to have or not have.
We're not talking Twitter here on the reports with respect to the proceeds from sale. We're talking actual, credible outlets. The facts back up the claim as well. The last three years were by far the worst, fiscally, in the club's history. It is not surprising that, taken together as a three-year cycle for sustainability purposes, we would have to sell an asset to remain compliant. Such a move would be legal - players may transfer within England at any time after the completion of the season, but generally don't until their contract expires.

If we actually had the Richarlison money to spend, we could have spent a substantial multiplier of that amount because of amortization and the fact that we have a lot of dead money that comes off next season. Since we didn't, and instead spent roughly what it looks like would be available if we project the oddities of 19-20 's forward to 22-23, I conclude that we didn't have Richarlison money to spend.

The clubs financials should settle the question in a few months' time. For myself, I believe that the transaction closed on 30 June. There may be other "interesting" ways to account for things, but if there's something there we should see it in the balance sheet or what have you.

….good post.

I will add that it’s almost taken for granted that Onana will be a mainstay but he’s actually younger than Garner and probably less experienced.

Like Lampard talking about Garner, something along the lines of; “…we will improve him so he can improve us”.
Yeah, Onana is well behind Garner in terms of acclimatisation. I think he might be more in and out the team than Garner. Garner will be crucial to taking the ball off the CBs and getting us moving.

Yeah, Onana is well behind Garner in terms of acclimatisation. I think he might be more in and out the team than Garner. Garner will be crucial to taking the ball off the CBs and getting us moving.

….oooh, as long as they are fit and well, I’m sure Onana will play more games. Come the end of the season, I wouldn’t be surprised if the big boys are circling.

Garner is interesting, I agree he’s going to be fascinating to watch but I can see him growing into the team over time. Him and Onana quite comfortable playing any of those CM roles. Two youngsters, be brilliant if they blend but I think Onana could be a bit special.

….oooh, as long as they are fit and well, I’m sure Onana will play more games. Come the end of the season, I wouldn’t be surprised if the big boys are circling.
Bit early for that talk.

He'll need a season or two playing well for us first. That's the usual pattern it takes before the cherry picking begins.

Apart from the failure to get another decent forward in I'm happy at the way Lampard is building the team. It's looking more athletic and younger. We want honest grafters with a bit of skill...which will get you a long way in this league.

Bit early for that talk.

He'll need a season or two playing well for us first. That's the usual pattern it takes before the cherry picking begins.

Apart from the failure to get another decent forward in I'm happy at the way Lampard is building the team. It's looking more athletic and younger. We want honest grafters with a bit of skill...which will get you a long way in this league.

…Onana is surprising me already, on and off the pitch. I get the impression Lampard is very taken with him.

…he’s that type of player reliant on acceleration who will suffer with this type of injury, once they start they usually reoccur because of scar tissue. Amazing that they also occur following change of club.
Change of club and managers are danger points fur injuries always mate as often it entails a change in training methods and intensity - can imagine less focus at PSG is on physical training for example than at his new club

Bit early for that talk.

I don’t know, Cucurella had one decent season at Brighton before chelsea paid mega bucks for him.

Far from perfect but at least a corner doesn't feel like a penalty anymore. Feels more solid, is all I say.
I suppose the more they play together the better they will be.
Thought against Leeds we were solid and fairly comfortable
Against Brentford I believe we were not so good
Maybe back 4 against Leeds suits us better

Status
Not open for further replies.