Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of all the signings, I'm most looking forward to seeing how Garner does.

Gomes did a job, especially before he picked up that broken leg, of setting the tempo of the play. If all the talk about Garner being a Carrick type are anywhere near true then £15M will be a steal.

There's a big expectation now (and a big responsibility) on Gueye, Onana and Garner to provide the springboard for the way we play.

I doubt we'll see them all in action together and bedded in for a few weeks, so we'll have to be patient.

Apart from Gordon's continued development that'll be the major interest of the season to me.

@Eggs see Kalimuendo has a muscle tear already (initially reported as minor - but now being reported as more serious than first thought) looks like we dodged a bullet there

…he’s that type of player reliant on acceleration who will suffer with this type of injury, once they start they usually reoccur because of scar tissue. Amazing that they also occur following change of club.

Gomes did a job, especially before he picked up that broken leg, of setting the tempo of the play. If all the talk about Garner being a Carrick type are anywhere near true then £15M will be a steal.

There's a big expectation now (and a big responsibility) on Gueye, Onana and Garner to provide the springboard for the way we play.

I doubt we'll see them all in action together and bedded in for a few weeks, so we'll have to be patient.

Apart from Gordon's continued development that'll be the major interest of the season to me.
It was his ankle.

….good post.

I will add that it’s almost taken for granted that Onana will be a mainstay but he’s actually younger than Garner and probably less experienced.

Like Lampard talking about Garner, something along the lines of; “…we will improve him so he can improve us”.

Last edited:

Sounds a bit harsh. According to most sources we are under FFP scrutiny as it is. Signing/buying players is an expensive business, especially forwards. We strengthened both defense and midfield considerably. We even got a couple of promising youngsters with resale value. Both area's were the biggest problems last season.

I totally agree we could have used another striker-option but those guys don't come cheap. Considering the financial situation we are in, I would rather wait a bit than go off buying option number 164736262 for way too much again.

We are not that bad in the winger department. Gray and Gordon are both decent players and we do have some backups up front.

Not a bad window in my view. Could it be better? Of course. But I'm not complaining with what we brought in and let's play some decent football from now on! We should be able to do that and let's hope we manage to bring in an extra striker in January (only 13-ish games away).

Right on. Build from the back out and spend half a season developing a system and style. Then target strikers who can fit within that system instead of randomly going after anyone they think is good.

By no means is it going to be pretty - re-builds never are - but for the first time in a long time it feels like there might actually be some sort of plan in place which has me optimistic.

I wonder if our eventual settled midfield will be

Onana
Garner. Iwobi

Just as I’m thinking garner dictate tempo and be a bit of a box to box player, and Iwobi has gotten very good at passing through the lines lately - would massively improve our creativity also

Reviewing the Summer Window

In new acquisitions Thelwell did a prudent job on a few fronts. In terms of the players added in the last two windows, I think the club is starting to learn from past blunders in regards to recruitment. In general smaller sums and younger profiles is a welcomed change. The veteran adds are bit more than I would have liked, but thats partially reflected in their acquisition cost and assure a level of safety that I understand is necessary.

Longterm I have questions in Thelwell’s network beyond the UK. There seems a lot of zeroing in on specific player’s and marginally ignoring what could also be got for the same amount. But the process of cleaning the books seems in place and the general younger age add to needed value propositions in the future. Would I have targeted different players in a lot of cases (esp McNeil and Maupay) yes! but for the most part the rationale and or the fees are acceptable for the new adds.

Unfortunately what could end up the most impactful decision is the choice not to sell Gordon. Thelwell made sensible additions that should create enough room for safety in a cost effective manner. That last point especially is a necessary change at the club. But choosing not to profit off an inflated value I find worrisome for deals in the future. We have consistently been overly reluctant to sell our best players which leads to exits commonly at low returns. A mistake thats helped lead to this downtime at the club. Sell on strategy and maximizing the market has to be a strength for this team to course correct and seriously climb the table. If I compare us to the likes of Brighton and Brentford, I think they both do that deal. If the Gallagher Broja and 25 million deal was legitimate its abhorrent to have been passed on (although I don’t think it was TBF).

Gordon might sustain value and or the replacements that would have been needed, not able to be brought in. It seems the young english leaning profile and domestic recruitment is a point of emphasis and selling AG might have effected the changing room. But the realism is there is high potential he doesn’t retain this value in output on the pitch and in a future deal even if he improves this year. It’s possible thats not true but IMO thats the club playing with fire. Its cutesy to not grab an excessive bag in front of you.

All in all I think we will be safe with the additions and have reasonably priced youth that should be exciting to watch grow. Let’s hope that’s even more the approach in the windows to come.

Right on. Build from the back out and spend half a season developing a system and style. Then target strikers who can fit within that system instead of randomly going after anyone they think is good.

By no means is it going to be pretty - re-builds never are - but for the first time in a long time it feels like there might actually be some sort of plan in place which has me optimistic.
But let’s not forget, this is Everton. Does optimism really exist beyond the blue walls of goodison?

I agree though there does seem to be a plan, still concerned with creativity and actually scoring.

In reply to the above review, one of the best things about this window was to keep hold of Gordon and to turn down any apparently inflated bid.

A local Evertonian who with better players and manager around him to support and learn from, plus a striker to put things in the back of the net, he will continue to grow and grow this season. Ideally will then stay with us, but I am hopeful that he has the season which puts him in the bracket of 65-70m+ by next summer.

Gets shut of the simulation (havent seen much this season) and continues to deliver with end product!

Another good season with us and then even more return come next year!

But let’s not forget, this is Everton. Does optimism really exist beyond the blue walls of goodison?

I agree though there does seem to be a plan, still concerned with creativity and actually scoring.

Truth. There is a huge concern about getting goals and so many question marks around DCL's ability to get back and of course whether he can still be effective.

Having said that, not sure what DCL's market value is anymore but I thought Everton made a great statement by not selling Gordon. Eye-watering numbers from Chelsea but to me it said "We are not in win-now mode. We are stay the freakin' heck out of relegation spots mode! And to get better for the future". Which actually hints at some sort of gameplan.

For me, this is a season of two halves. First one, create some identity and cohesiveness for the team and identify strengths and weaknesses and just write it off. Second half - address the issues through signings or systems and accept nothing but improvement. And hope to hell it all doesn't end up in the Championship!

It's not a great start but I do genuinely feel that there need to be at least two "proper" signing windows for this - as the BBC like to say - to be "Frank Lampart's Everton".

I can't help but feel that - more than anything - the team is missing leaders. Frank's not too far removed from his playing days and given time I think he can be that missing link. But if not...

How very magnanimous of you.

I’d have thought, that you’d have automatically written him off, as a Kopite wool.

Well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.