Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a small shift change and it is definitely a step, albeit a small one, in the right direction but yet again we are found wanting in many aspects of how the club is currently run, my pessimism stems from the overall feeling of amateurish feel of how we have and to a degree currently do things all round.

We needed a CF and a Striker and yes having a fully functioning midfield to provide that frontline is another piece of the jigsaw and hopefully will result in a more resilient side, which we have seen from the defence in the first few games but without a goal threat we are going nowhere and THEY knew this, so we are left floundering and hoping that Dominic Calvert-Lewin will fully recover and stay fit and find goal scoring form, 7 games in after tomorrow against that lot and be it pessimistic or realistic where are the goals coming from?

We needed a RB for years and look how long it took, Post World cup this year player values will be at a premium, dependant on performances, So are we starting a hunt for a striker/cf now so when January comes we arent making ridiculous last minute decisions and bids again?

There is a future for Everton but we really need less acceptance of a club run 1980's style and get with the modern ethos of running a business so we can see that translate to the pitch.

That will not happen with these clowns in charge at board level.

I am in the Gueye return camp but he could also be our next El Ghazi/False Dawn moment, if we pin everything on his return as a spark, returns very rarely meet the expectation level.

On the positive side Onana and Garner look like the sort of business we should be doing so that does bode well.

I just dont see where are goals are coming from and that will define this season for us, and they knew this needed to be addressed.
I'm fully on board with the view that the club has been very poorly run for years but we are where we are and, for me, this window has been quite successfull in terms of recruitment and paring away the deadwood. I thought moving Gomes on was a masterstroke, Onana is a future captain in the making and we look more solid and compact as a team.

The only downside was the failure to recruit a winger/wide forward but I think with the new midfield and with AG flying atm DCL and Maupay will see us through to next summer (and there's always January).

I'm in the lets see how we get on in the next few months camp, but I'm more optimistic now than I was before the window, It's going to take a while but we will get there.

One season recently they tried shutting it before the start of the season and everyone moaned about that too.
I think that was because it was out of sync with other leagues wasn't it? So for example we wouldn't know if we could shift players to Europe (or have a big club take one of our better players) until after our own window had closed. I can see how that isn't a good plan either.

For years we've said we've needed to buy at source and have players develop with us rather than buy when they are more established. It doesnt really matter what the source is- United, Rangers, Lille, Kyiv it seems like we are now doing that sprinkled with some experience.

Apart from Gana all our signings have been under 30 and all permanent deals apart from Gana will have resale value which is something we havent been too good at it in a good while.

This season for me is all about staying up and having relative comfort in doing so. If this young side can develop together to fulfil their potential and we can then add again next year thats when you could see a good side develop.
We would probably even make a small profit on Gana when he leaves as well,

I would despise it but I can definitely see the club offering something to Barkley, wouldn't be surprised either if we'd go for Batshuayi if he does indeed get released too.
I think there is a chance that could happen. We are a bit light in terms of creativity and Barkley could offer something there.

However, I don't think we would be offering anything other than something for this season and he may want a longer contract.

I don't love the idea of him coming back but if I thought it could help the team I could live with it.
He would be a squad player rather than a regular starter imo.

Agree it is a worry because of the injuries Dominic Calvert-Lewin has had. We need to get lucky and hope we can keep him fit, midfield really needs to add more goals this season
But that's not really just my main concern mate. We have Maupay as back up who is as good as we're going to get for 2nd choice.

The issue is actually creating quality chances for whoever plays up front.

We needed to sort out the defence and midfield
The reason why we signed the midfielders is because the existing ones are not good enough. They were the main problem in fairness.
Shocking to leave us without a forward and wingers though as the club hierarchy have now gambled with our future.
Absolute shambles. If we manage to survive though we just need to sort out a decent keeper and forward line/wingers for creativity
We where rather toothless in attack last year because the midfield couldn't provide the ball out. So another average forward would have been just as useless till the midfield was sorted first

We do have forwards and wingers, a much improved defence and potentially one of the best midfields in the PL...

Once they gel, we are going to start looking forward to games because we can win them, not because we hope that we won't lose...
Yes mate I agree with what you say
Defence is much better and so is the midfield
I worry about the wingers except Gordon and creativity etc
The forward issue worries because of DCL’s continuing fitness problems
We could of done with one or two more options

Not as much as you think. Was 13 last Summer, 12 Summer before, 19 year before that etc.
I think thats a biproduct of changing managers frequently and having too many individuals involved signing players. Hopefully Frank does well and gets to continue. In the short term we will probably have a similar turnover next summer with players moving on, but hopefully it will settle down a bit after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.