Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
When the window shut last night, like many I was disappointed we hadn’t signed another forward. But when you look at all the players we have brought in and where we have improved. Last season I thought our biggest issue was that none of our central midfielders could play as a defensive midfielder affectively. This lead to us playing 523. Ow we have signed 3 players who can play there affectively, Garner, Onana and Gana. This gives us more options formation wise. We have signed 2 better CB’s as well. I think Maupay is a good understudy to DCL, the question is how quickly we can get Dom back.
Last season we lost 21 games, won 11, if we can turn some of those losses into draws, just by being more solid, we could be mid table. Palace won 11 games as well lest season, but only lost 12, so had 48 points and finished 12th.

Seems like we will be sweating on Doms fitness a lot.

I'm fully behind rebuilding the midfield and defence though which has been dreadful.

We have quite a young team now so there is a lot of room for improvement.

I hope Frank can rebuild McNeils confidence like he did with Iwobi.

Dom, Maupay, Gray, Gordon, (Rondon....I guess) - it's a pretty modest set of attackers.

Massively improved our defence, we no longer have to watch Keane flap it every game.

Massively improved our midfield, we should no longer see Davies or gomes in the prem

Ok we are little light up front but Gordon has started the season brilliantly and looks like he could easily replace richys goals and maupay and DCL will score a fair few.

Everyone moaning needs to calm down a bit and go get your sheets in the dryer.

Maupay can play wide, we needed another option in the middle
Maupay has played just over 300 senior games in the last decade. More than 290 have been at CF. He isn't anything other than a desperate emergency option out wide.

More to the point, there were better wide options available than Maupay. He's clearly arrived to be DCL's backup. It's a shame he didn't arrive two weeks ago so he could have played in our last three League fixtures.

EDIT: I see @Nymzee has posted a link to Maupay's record on Transfermarkt. You'd do well to read it.

Think you're a bit pessimistic there mate.

You advocate for change, and I think we have seen it this window for the first time since Mosh bought the club. This is the first window of his era where we didn't really have any El Ghazi moments, you know, those times when you think like why have we got 3 number 10s or why did we pay so much for such poor performers. There was none of that this year. Probably why Mosh said judge us at the end of the window because he knew HE was having no input this year.

One other point is that our forward line last season wasn't prolific because we had one of, if not, THE worst midfield and defence in the PL. How many times over the last few years have we said things like "Dom looked isolated today" or "we need to play 3 in the middle of the park" or "we cant defend set pieces" We now have genuine options in defence and midfield for the first time in years and the forward line will benefit massively from this.

We are seeing change mate, it's just that this is the first step.
There is a small shift change and it is definitely a step, albeit a small one, in the right direction but yet again we are found wanting in many aspects of how the club is currently run, my pessimism stems from the overall feeling of amateurish feel of how we have and to a degree currently do things all round.

We needed a CF and a Striker and yes having a fully functioning midfield to provide that frontline is another piece of the jigsaw and hopefully will result in a more resilient side, which we have seen from the defence in the first few games but without a goal threat we are going nowhere and THEY knew this, so we are left floundering and hoping that DCL will fully recover and stay fit and find goal scoring form, 7 games in after tomorrow against that lot and be it pessimistic or realistic where are the goals coming from?

We needed a RB for years and look how long it took, Post World cup this year player values will be at a premium, dependant on performances, So are we starting a hunt for a striker/cf now so when January comes we arent making ridiculous last minute decisions and bids again?

There is a future for Everton but we really need less acceptance of a club run 1980's style and get with the modern ethos of running a business so we can see that translate to the pitch.

That will not happen with these clowns in charge at board level.

I am in the Gueye return camp but he could also be our next El Ghazi/False Dawn moment, if we pin everything on his return as a spark, returns very rarely meet the expectation level.

On the positive side Onana and Garner look like the sort of business we should be doing so that does bode well.

I just dont see where are goals are coming from and that will define this season for us, and they knew this needed to be addressed.

Alan Myers.

This feller strung Evertonians along yesterday all day knowing that the Diaz chase was a fake. He was adamant for a long time that it wouldn't happen but noticeably made a u-turn yesterday and played the club's fraudulent game with fans to give the impression there was a serious attempt to get a striker in.

Once a club flunky always a club flunky.

Alan Myers.

This feller strung Evertonians along yesterday all day knowing that the Diaz chase was a fake. He was adamant for a long time that it wouldn't happen but noticeably made a u-turn yesterday and played the club's fraudulent game with fans to give the impression there was a sseriius attempt to get a striker in.

dave seriously who really cares

We might bin off Rondon to Turkey or Greece on loan for partial wages if someone will take him. I can imagine a world where we send Allan to Portugal, but I suspect we keep him on. Not like we haven't had three or four mids out at one time in recent years.
Rondon is a tricky one: in case of injuries we might need him but if Lampard doesnt rate him what is the point. I'd say keep till January

Alan Myers.

This feller strung Evertonians along yesterday all day knowing that the Diaz chase was a fake. He was adamant for a long time that it wouldn't happen but noticeably made a u-turn yesterday and played the club's fraudulent game with fans to give the impression there was a serious attempt to get a striker in.

Well you never believed him to begin with, so why arsed about his u-turn? Which wasn't really a u-turn - all he said is we've bid.

Status
Not open for further replies.