Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christ, you’re gonna be extra weird this year aren’t you. We’re all in for a long season.
Don't think what he's saying is controversial at all mate.

The higher quality the team you're playing the more organised they're likely to be, especially when it comes to pressing - it's just generally harder to find passes against higher quality sides as they're more likely to cut off passing options.

With a fully fit squad and rumours if true our team playing 3-5-2 could look like this
JP
JT YM CC
NP AD GG A0 VM
DA DCL
Or in a 3-4-3

JP
JT YM CC
NP GG AO VM
DM DCL AG
I’d prefer the 3-4-3 formation myself.

Well I’m not saying it is the case for tarkowski as such, I’m just talking about the principle of it. The higher the level you’re playing at the more difficult is to do things, pretty much everything. People are faster, stronger, have better game intelligence, are working to better tactical plans etc etc. It’s just common sense really. You wouldn’t expect someone’s goalscoring ability to transfer from league one to the PL would you? So why would any other skill be different? Ben Godfrey played central midfield in the lower leagues and by all accounts did it very well, but in the PL he’s got it all on to complete a 10 yard pass.

But I am specifically talking about Tarkowski and things he apparently can’t do in the PL just because Burnley didn’t allow so not sure why you’re talking about goal scoring.

Anyone who said “he can’t do this he can only play one way” has already been royally shut up from some brief pre-season cameos.

But I am specifically talking about Tarkowski and things he apparently can’t do in the PL just because Burnley didn’t allow so not sure why you’re talking about goal scoring.

Anyone who said “he can’t do this he can only play one way” has already been royally shut up from some brief pre-season cameos.
I was responding to a post where you suggested it was ridiculous to think it was harder to do things in the PL than league one. That’s why I mentioned goalscoring. If that isn’t what you meant then no worries, but it is what you said so sorry for taking it at face value.

I'd prefer to see it in a real game if that's ok

I was responding to a post where you suggested it was ridiculous to think it was harder to do things in the PL than league one. That’s why I mentioned goalscoring. If that isn’t what you meant then no worries, but it is what you said so sorry for taking it at face value.

Yup, your point is relevant if I was speaking generally but was specifically discussing Tarkowski’s pre-Burnley career.

Keane turns 30 in January 2023. His contract runs until June 2025, so his book value is fairly low at just under £9.4m (£25m divided by 8 years = £3.125m per year). He's widely reported to be on more than £70k p/w.

Keane cannot play in a 3 CB system and would not, with everyone fit, be a starter in a 2 CB system. He cannot play elsewhere. He cannot lead/organise the defence. He ONLY looks any good in a back four playing a low block, with a big character alongside him to lead, organise and keep him from crumbling mentally.

If another CB on relatively big money comes in then Keane AND Mina will have to leave within six months otherwise our wages to income ratio will get hammered again, causing us more P&S issues.

I would take £10m for Keane right now. Absolutely no question. It would be a small profit against book value but it would take a hefty wage off the payroll and get a very limited player out of the squad.

If we wanted to make a similar small profit on Godfrey this summer we'd have to sell him at around £15m due to his current book value.

Holgate? Book value is super low because his original transfer fee was modest. Any sale now would be almost pure profit. There is a financial argument for selling him, yes. But he's on lower wages than Keane, is younger and faster, can play in 2 CB and 3 CB systems and can also fill in as a RB in a flat 4. He makes errors, but certainly no more than Keane.

Even if Keane was the better player (and he isn't), the numbers are pretty clear. An offer of £10m would be enough to let him go.

25m x 5 years = 5m per year
3 years 15m
10m left when signed a new contract
10m x 5 years = 2m per year
3 years left = 6m

Im saying if somebody asked to buy him I would start at 20m.

Your suggesting we ring around and offer him about for 9.4m, he would certainly have many takers at that amount.

Its a moot point, cos its unlikely hes sold, but if he was we would get about 20m, IMO.

No, I wouldnt pay 20m for Michael Keane, but we could get that.

Thank you for the straight answers. I don't agree with you, but I like the fact you've answered the questions.

You may well be right re book value.

I'd be astonished if anyone would offer £20m for Keane. Until someone does, it is indeed a moot point.

If we got £10mil for Keane id be amazed

No one is paying £15-20mil for Michael Keane...

The calibre of player we are looking to bring in these days is truly abysmal.
A solid defender, who’s already looking good

A decent LWB backup, something we were missing last season

A decent wide player, who’s already made himself welcome and he’s only been here a week

A player we know the qualities of and a highly rated young gun to improve our weak willed midfield

Doesn’t look abysmal to me that

Holgate and Godfrey not good enough, Mina in last year of contract and Keane is average

The fact tarkowski is our only decent centre half and he has no protection from the midfield because Doucoure and Allan are jokes is a cause for concern

the fact we are not prioritising a centre half and a 6 is worrying

Why are we not utilising the loan market if we have limited funds

We have 50 mil from richarlison and two loans would cost a fraction of that
Onana, Gueye and Coady

Frank and Kev know the score

CBs with good positional sense can play for a good long while. I'm a lot more comfortable with signing the right 29 year old CB than I am with signing a player that age almost anywhere else on the pitch.

A truly world class striker or goalkeeper can potentially play for longer, but when the coach turns into a pumpkin overnight is something of a lottery at those positions. Old Buffon wasn't peak Buffon, but he was still really good for forever. Neuer is still world class. Casillas was done at the top level at around 34.
And I would generally agree but go back to my first line.

Status
Not open for further replies.