Everton News

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once A Boo, Always A Boo via GrandOldTeam

rooneygot2article-150x150.jpg

There’s always one isn’t there? So let me be it. Leave Ross alone.

I’ve watched the tidal wave of bile aimed at Ross Barkley across the admittedly poisonous waters of Twitter with a growing sense of disbelief and disappointment. ‘Greedy [Poor language removed]’. ‘Ungrateful [Poor language removed]’. ‘Overrated anyway’. ‘He’s always been s***e’. A quick glance at the replies to an Evertonian’s followers after he asked his followers to sum up Barkley in 3 words contained a variety of similar reactions.

Sum Ross Barkley up & his time at #EFC in three words.

Mine: Poor decision making.

— David Downie (@daviddownie17) July 26, 2017

The consensus appears to be that his refusal to sign a generous new contract is just the latest in a career littered with mostly on the pitch, poor decisions. If he was a diamond 2 months ago, he’s a piece of knock off plastic now.

There’s a tendency for football fans to lose their collective s**t when one of their stars announces he’s heading for pastures new. West Ham fans reaction to Payet’s ‘strike’ was one of the most potent and funny examples of this recently. And it’s understandable. The rejection feels as personal as getting binned off by your teenage girlfriend when the lad in the year above with the nice car shows her some attention.

But we’re not teenagers. And while so much of being a fan is about emotion – the emotions on show about Barkley are just embarrassing. We need to look at this with a cool sense of detachment and stop behaving like we’ve been personally insulted. Here’s my defence of Ross against some of the more common accusations:

1. He’s greedy

First we don’t know what number has been rejected outside of gossip and self-proclaimed ITKs and we don’t even know whether it was the money on offer that was the issue. Some are saying that he wanted assurances from Koeman that he’d get game time. The truth is nobody knows. And if it was the money consider this. Everton have just agreed a reported 150k a week deal for Wayne Rooney. By every measure Barkley is better than Rooney based on current form – the Rooney of yesteryear? No. But its now – not then. Yet somehow nobody is losing their rag about a ‘well past his prime’ Rooney being top earner.

And while we’re on the subject – I remember when Rooney left us. I’m happy he’s back but can’t help but look at the double standards on offer here and I bet Ross has noticed it too. Ross has done more for Everton in his time here than Rooney ever did. Yet we bend over for Wayne and behave like [Poor language removed] throwing chimps every time Ross’ name is mentioned.

2. He’s s**t

No he really isn’t. He’s brilliant. And while I accept Koeman’s qualified to decide whether he’s first team quality, we really shouldn’t be listening to a bunch of Fifa 17 addicts on Twitter on what makes a good player. He makes mistakes. Every player does. Except Schneids of course. But the bar for Ross was set so high by a section of fans and somehow it became his fault when people not fit to lace his boots judged him unworthy. He had to carry the unwanted burden of expectation based on the fact that he was ‘one of us’ – a completely unfair standard he could never reach. Not trusted by Moyes and not trained by Martinez, we saw glimpses of what he could be at his best under Ronko. Its no coincidence he got better as the season wore on. Unfortunately that development is over.

And for those of us who think shelling out 50 million for someone who couldn’t get into the Spurs XI is compensation, I’d ask you to just look at the stats. Last season from open play Barkley created more than twice the chances that Sigurdsson did. He also created more than Rooney and Sandro. Sigurdsson has the edge on assists over the last 3 seasons but he takes all the set pieces. In open play, hands down, Barkley is our best.

3. Why would a blue want to leave Everton?

Well this is it really isn’t it? This is why and it always has been why our anger is so great. He’s living our dream. He had the chance. And he’s turning down something we’d sell our grannies for. HOW COULD HE? Doesn’t he understand? But this isn’t about him. It’s about us. He’s a professional footballer. It’s his job. And yet we expect him to put our feelings first. And again – here comes Rooney, seemingly forgiven for leaving us for the cash while we scream our hatred at Barkley for daring to do what every person in working life does – wanting to get what they think they’re worth. We wouldn’t apply the same level of venom to Gana or even Lukaku if they demanded more and left because they didn’t get it. It’s because he’s us.

The truth is Ross has carried the weight of our envy and hope. The behavior of some of our fans toward him has made me embarrassed to be a Blue at times. I wouldn’t be surprised if fan reaction was a factor in his contract refusal. Who could blame him? In his home town, the anger and criticism must feel twice as hot as it would for an outsider. Why would he stay? He must worry that for some fans, once a boo, always a boo.

If he’s to leave us, let’s send him on his way behaving with the class and dignity some of us never showed when he was on the pitch. We should thank him, wish him well and always welcome him back. If we don’t, the truth is that he was better than we deserved. And then we should never do this to Tom Davies.

The post Once A Boo, Always A Boo appeared first on GrandOldTeam.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Is Barkley improving? via Sky Sports

Has Ronald Koeman’s brand of tough love succeeded in improving Ross Barkley? Despite some criticism of his progress, the statistics are encouraging. But now the Everton midfielder must take the next step in his development, writes Adam Bate.
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Game of the Day: Everton 7-1 Southampton, 1996 via Everton Arent We

efc-saints-1996-2.jpg

1996 was the light at the end of a long tunnel for Everton. The preceding year had brought the end of the cup drought (and the start of a worse one), but it had come amid a season of struggle – something which had become the norm. Joe Royle’s revolution came to fruition in the next campaign. Everton came sixth in 95/96, unheard of since the advent of the Premier League, and started the 96/97 season in good form. When Southampton came to town in the middle of November, they faced a side who had only suffered six league defeats in the calendar year. They would leave with their tails firmly between their legs, having suffered a battering. The humiliation inflicted on the Saints, on a par with Graeme Souness picking up the phone and saying “George Weah’s cousin, you say? Sounds promising,” became Everton’s best ever Premier League win. It is now joint-best, along with the 2007 pounding of Sunderland.

Bar a shock League Cup exit at the hands of York City and a 4-0 drubbing away to Wimbledon, the season was going well for Royle and his charges. Three summer signings had settled in fairly well: the future was ahead of Oldham youngster Paul Gerrard; England international Nick Barmby had made his first appearance and started on the road to 116 Everton appearances before sealing his name in infamy; and Gary Speed had swiftly endeared himself to the Goodison crowd. The latter pair would both enjoy the demolition job on the Saints.

efc-saints-1996-1.jpg

It is bizarre to think Southampton would finish just one point and one place behind Everton, given the start the two sides made. Souness’ south coast side actually came into the Goodison encounter in a rare spot of good form, having gone unbeaten for eight games in all competitions – their best run in a decade. That included 3-0 and 4-0 wins over Sunderland and Middlesbrough, as well as a remarkable 6-3 thrashing of Manchester United. Everton were on a five-match unbeaten streak of their own, though, and fancied their chances at Goodison.

It was 25 years to the week since Royle had scored four in an 8-0 hiding of Southampton; the Everton icon was to enjoy another comprehensive win from his seat in the dugout. A minute’s silence to Blues great Tommy Lawton was followed by the perfect tribute, a masterclass in scoring goals. It took 12 minutes for the floodgates to finally open. Barmby whipped in a cross from the right that evaded Andrei Kanchelskis but found Graham Stuart, who had the simple task of knocking the ball into Chris Woods’ unguarded net.

22 minutes later, it was 5-0. Tony Grant played a big part in the second goal, his determination giving Stuart the chance to tee up Kanchelskis. The talented Russian cut inside before firing into the far corner. On the half-hour mark, a weak kick from Woods could only find Speed. The Welshman played a one-two with Barmby, sauntered through as the Southampton defence dissolved, and his effort whizzed past the Saints keeper. Two minutes later, the same pair combined again. Barmby flicked the ball onto the six-yard line and Speed arrived with a diving header that compounded Southampton’s misery. This is Nineties Everton, remember, and no vintage performance would be complete without a beautiful Andy Hinchcliffe assist. His cross was superb, Kanchelskis’ header was weak, but Woods had already collapsed to the ground by the time the ball had reached him, and it spun into the net.

efc-saints-1996-3.jpg

When a sixth goal arrived, it was Southampton who got it. A neat through ball was met by summer signing Egil Ostenstad, and while this sort of display was not what he signed up for, the Norwegian’s fine finish at least provided some consolation. At the break, Royle dished out the ultimate humiliation, by swapping his goalkeepers. A bored Neville Southall sloped off to sit back and relax – do you think he noticed the difference? Gerrard was brought on to take in the jubilant second-half atmosphere. Duncan Ferguson, normally Everton’s attacking spearhead, was left on the bench to watch as his team-mates helped themselves to goals.

Barmby was next to add his name to the list. Kanchelskis slid the ball across the face of goal, and the former Middlesbrough man arrived to tuck home a much-deserved goal in front of the Gwladys Street. The cake was baked and iced, and merely required a cherry on top. Gary Speed’s hat-trick goal was that cherry. Hinchcliffe’s corner was swung in to the back post, and the flying Welshman arrived to head home, taking in the ovation of the giddy Goodison crowd.

“I was a bit disappointed by their one goal”, Royle smirked afterwards. Everton were lifted to eighth, then moving up to seventh after a 1-1 midweek draw at Anfield, and then sixth the next weekend thanks to victory over Leicester. That was, sadly, as good as it got. A run of six straight defeats that started on Boxing Day precipitated a slide down the table. Kanchelskis was a Fiorentina player before the season’s end; Royle was unemployed, having quit in frustration after Peter Johnson refused to stump up for Tore Andre Flo, Claus Eftevaag and Barry Horne. 15th place was a disappointment after the 1995/96 season, but it would hardly get better until the arrival of David Moyes. There was plenty to enjoy about 1996, though, not least a fine afternoon when everything clicked, and Southampton were absolutely Dia.

Sorry.

efc-saints-1996.jpg

Shut up Chris, the pun wasn’t that bad.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

The Shackles Are Off via GrandOldTeam

It’s all been a bit mad hasn’t it, these past couple of months. I’ve been wanting to try and write something for ages now – basically to try to put my excitement into words – but with so many topics, a conveyor belt of new players arriving with Contract Dave never busier, Oumar Niasse getting a squad number, and pretty much everything at Everton FC being ‘all go’ I postponed doing a write up until I felt there was a bit of a lull in proceedings. Plus during the past few weeks I’ve been thoroughly enjoying a mass of Twitter fume and attention directed our Club’s way – the mini rivalry with West Ham’s ultras kicking off again, Kopites talking about us constantly, claiming that we’ve bought a load of average players, yet they’ve just signed a defender from Hull and are selling Coutinho to Barca, plus the fact that Everton has been the name mentioned first on most broadcasting channels, websites and in the papers, it’s been great to see us in the spotlight and some football fans actually getting annoyed at our behaviour. Evertonians have had me in tears some nights with their social media shouts and it’s brilliant to see my fellow comrades basking in the fact that Everton are brewstered (to the none Scousers reading this – that means rich), and spending money freely as our Iranian Prince sets Everton off into what is a new chapter full of hope. He also bought the Liver Building which was only because he got bored one day, what a guy.

Above I said the word lull, yes there’s been a lull, if you could call it that, in Everton’s summer spending spree, and by lull I mean that even though they are on the brink of smashing their transfer record in what could reportedly be a £50 million move for Gylfi Sigurdsson, it’s been a week since we actually signed a player (Cuco Martina joined on a free transfer from Saints). In that time Everton have played a few pre-season games too and if it feels mad to actually start focusing on the football again after a whirlwind period. We’ve been to Tanzania, Holland and Belgium in pre season and now the blues are home preparing for their Europa League tie against FC Ruzomberok, try saying that after a few scoops, at a packed out Goodison Park on Thursday night.

‘Why haven’t we signed anyone today?’ ‘Sort it out Koeman, it’s been a week now’. Admit it your getting impatient.

I’ve literally struggled to keep up and it’s been boss.

Our latest link – Gylfi Sigurdsson from Swansea – has raised some ‘debate’ amongst supporters so let me settle that one for you now. Koeman’s obviously bang into him, and Koeman being Koeman he inevitably gets what he wants, like a big Dutch gangster he’s targeted his man and won’t rest until his right hand man Steve ‘the assassin’ Walsh delivers him, so I’d expect it to happen – even if ye Da says he’d ‘only pay about £22 mill for him’ – calm down John from Halewood, it’s not your cash and £50 million just about gets you a right back these days. Some blues need to chill out, enjoy the new-found transfer fees (it is insane yes, but it’s only going to get worse) and remind themselves that things are different nowadays. What’s £50 million to the Mersey Billionaires when we recouped half of that just binning off Deulofeu, Cleverley and McGeady? Whether Sigurdsson is worth it or not doesn’t really matter in what we say or think, if the manager and the Club want him then we are now in the position to pursue players and bring them in. If Walsh and Koeman want him, and they have the money to get him, then it gets a big fat thumbs up from me. The hunted now becomes the hunter, the exact reverse of what we’ve been for the past 20 years, light a cigar, crack a beer and enjoy it, happy days.

Admittedly we are still limited in the type of players we sign as we did finish 7th last season, we can’t offer Champions League football, and our profile is improving, however to get us to that next level we must do what we can in terms of bringing in quality, signing players from the sides above us who need a fresh start, players who possess quality but need a new club to show it at, and also sign the best players from the sides below us too, as well as looking abroad, looking down the leagues for talent, as well as developing youth which we are doing to a tee. Look back over the past year of signings and you’ll see what I mean – we brought in Williams, Gueye, Bolasie, all three were the best players at their respective clubs at the time, we got Schneiderlin from United, a leader and a real Rolls Royce of a player, plus Lookman, one of the hottest talents around. We are now carrying it through, we’ve bought the Ajax Captain in Klaassen, a huge prospect in Sandro, Burnley and Sunderland’s best players and the Manchester United Captain too. Not to mention the investment in youth, and the additional new faces who will surely follow. We’re spending more on our Under 23 squad than most EPL clubs are on their first teams, that’s huge, and we’re still nurturing our own lads too – see Kieran Dowell, Jonjo Kenny, Matty Pennington and Tyias Browning as examples of that. It’s impressive stuff if you see the bigger picture, the collective approach to being talented across the board in terms of personnel is such a vibrant one.

Gylfi Sigurdsson could be the latest name in what has been a fruitful summer so far for ‘FC Sexy’ and he could potentially join Pickford, Klaassen, Keane, Sandro, Rooney, Onyekuru, Martina, and about 3 or 4 boss youngsters who have arrived at Goodison Park. We’ve sold a few as well, most notably McGeady and Cleverley, we released Kone, the seasoned Conor McAleny, oh and we’ve also sold Lukaku and Deulofeu too, and it’s been a very busy time for the Club in what is a huge summer for the Toffees. The fees we have received for outgoing players is impressive, which is key – we won’t accept taking low offers, a pittance, like we may have done in the past, if you want our players you have to pay the going rate. New kits, new commercial deals, financial agreements with banks, the draw for the Europa League, Carling being installed on the pumps at Goodison to name but a few things that have happened throughout recent weeks and it has certainly got the Evertonian pulses racing, well apart from the Carling obviously.

On the Lukaku departure, I’m not going to slag him off as it was inevitable he would leave to be involved in the Champions League, but I don’t think his attitude throughout his time with us helped his reputation at all. Certain fans never really took to him and I don’t think he really took to Everton but whatever your opinion of the lad his record speaks for itself during his time with us. Lukaku banged in the goals and performed well each season he was on Merseyside, but it is significant to me that his departure has been met with little noise from Evertonians, almost like we were losing ‘just another player’ – this epitomises the new found life at Everton and the confidence that we can now fill the gaps left by big players. You could say exactly the same about Deulofeu’s exit, nobody even batted an eyelid. Of course there aren’t many players around who are proven like Rom is in the Premier League, but already you can see the new shape to Everton, Rooney and Sandro appear to be linking up early, plus there are potential for more bodies in that area with talk of Giroud as one possibility. Dominic Calvert-Lewin is also there don’t forget too, and of course Onyekuru next season as well. Speaking of departures, today I heard Koeman’s quotes about Ross Barkley wanting a new challenge and that he is now likely to leave Everton – this I simply cannot get my head around. He’s a boyhood blue, he’s hardly got clubs knocking down the door for him has he? Maybe his ego has got the better of him, the stories about him being in with a bad crowd are true, he’s been badly advised, or he’s just had enough of Everton, but I must say I’m confused by it all. Koeman’s admission leaves more questions than answers but one noticeable thing was the Dutchman saying he’s already looking at players in that position – i.e. Sigurdsson (one of a handful probably) so it is plain to see that similarly to Lukaku, if Everton are to lose one of their so-called biggest talents in Ross Barkley, then they are certainly not waiting around to sulk about it. Everton are moving on quickly, and if you don’t want to be part of it then nobody is going to beg you to stay. Personally I’d be sad to see Ross Barkley leave, but just as I said earlier this summer when I wrote about the potential departures of Ross and Rom from Everton, there’s no time or room to worry about it now, our Club is changing and has changed already, we will swiftly move on.

I don’t know about you but I’m overjoyed by what has happened so far this summer, to see those smiles on blue faces and have those conversations of the past few weeks and months, there’s almost an arrogance about us. It’s an arrogance in the fact that we are being noticed now, there’s no more being ‘looked upon fondly but never going to break the mould’, instead heads are turning. Of course the Club are still well respected and highly regarded for many of the good things they do – that’ll never change – but as a business, and in terms of clout and capability, there is a wave of assurance and ambition (two words distant from Everton FC for many a year) about us now and it is absolutely refreshing. I was astounded how we went about swiftly announcing all of our new players to date in such successive and impressive style. Every day there’s been something new, be it a good thing the Club was doing off the pitch, the Under 23’s, EITC, the new players, the commercial aspects, the way we are branding ourselves now, acting like the modern-day Premier League Club that we are, it’s an upward curve which is continuing and will continue into what can be a memorable season ahead. European involvement brings about further revenue, further attention and further chances of silverware and success, the challenges of the Premier League get more and more difficult each year but we’ve never been more up for it, we’ve never been more prepared. Koeman’s grin in his latest press conference represents the feelings of most Evertonians this summer, everyone is brimming with excitement and you get the feeling there are many more positives to come before the season kicks off in August and before that transfer window closes.

I’m relishing every minute of it, seeing kids with Rooney’s name on the back of their shirts like he’s never been away, it stopped me in my tracks whilst I was in Sefton Park at the weekend, dozens upon dozens of them. A sight to behold of you ask me. Whatever your thoughts on Wayne you can’t deny his arrival hasn’t had a positive, influential impact and he’s only been back here weeks, he looks in shape, he has a point to prove and he’s back where he belongs. Just you wait when he pings his first goal in for the Toffees this season, I worry for Goodison’s foundations. The marketing and publicity his return has brought, it’s the right timing for him but more importantly Everton as a Club. He would have had his pick of potential suitors but he chose to come back, it’s massive. Players like him don’t just get written off because of one bad season, at Everton things will be different and you can see he’s already playing a key role, both on and off the pitch. Everton are on the up and he said that in his first interview, he’s not just here for the retirement fund he wants to win, because he’s a winner. I’ve spoken to different fans of different clubs and foreign journalists about our other new signings and the noise is all good. Sandro could really be an eye catcher, his pace and finishing could light up the Premier League. Klaassen comes with a tenacious reputation and experience as the captain of Ajax, your no mug if you lead that team, and Pickford/Keane well you don’t need me to explain, we’ve all seen what they can do. Martina is obviously a lesser glamorous signing however Koeman had managed him at Southampton and he adds to the numbers through the door at Finch Farm. Onyekuru will be one for next season but his statistics read well, and I’m sure the tally of incomings won’t stop now, regardless of what happens with Sigurdsson.

These signings are yet more pieces of the bigger jigsaw Farhad Moshiri, his staff, Steve Walsh, Ronald Koeman and his staff are piecing together for Everton FC and this summer it really does now feel like things are starting to move. Moshiri’s been here 16 months and it’s evident what he has done already, but his vision is now being well and truly put into place. I can’t help but get carried away, not in my lifetime have I seen a buzz around my club like this, nor have any of us ever see us act like this in the transfer market, and that’s not to mention the infrastructure potential – more specifically Bramley Moore. We now have a guy in charge of our finances who has the capacity to take us to another level, a winner of a Manager in Koeman and a growing, talented squad which contains many leaders and a real mix of quality, potential and experience. For years we had to beg, steal and borrow, we borrowed from Peter to pay Paul, loan deals, failed projects, losing assets but not replacing them, long gone are those days, and yes we will still lose players along the way, that’s part and parcel, but the direction Everton FC are going in under the current regime is a significant one, and one that can certainly bring success, we can make new history and this direction is already putting Everton back in the limelight where we all want us to be. There’s a swagger about us, the possibilities really are endless and this summer it definitely feels like the shackles are off at Goodison Park, there’s simply no stopping us now.

Up the Toffees

The post The Shackles Are Off appeared first on GrandOldTeam.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Lewis Gibson Signs via GrandOldTeam

gibson2-150x150.jpg

Everton have completed the signing of Lewis Gibson for a fee believed to be in the region of £6m, with the defender agreeing a three-year contract with the Blues and will link up with David Unsworth’s Under-23s squad.

Gibson was regarded as one of Newcastle’s brightest young talents and he had attracted interest from a number of top Premier League clubs.

Everton concluded the deal this morning, in another successful deal sanctioned by Everton’s Head of Recruitment, Steve Walsh.

Because of his age, Gibson who turned 17 last week, was only on scholarship terms, rather than a professional contract with the Magpies.

This meant he was free to leave for a compensation fee, but more importantly, was free to talk with other clubs as he hasn’t signed professional terms at Newcastle.

Everton took advantage of that and sealed the signing this morning, with Gibson citing their reputation of giving youngsters a chance as a big reason as to why he joined the Toffees.

He told Everton’s official website: “The reputation has long been there that Everton brings through young players. You only have to look at the likes of Tom Davies, Kieran Dowell, Jonjoe Kenny and several others who are battling for first-team places to know this.

“I’m a player who is willing to put my body on the line, the kind of defender who likes to tackle and is not afraid. I’m excited to be part of things here and I want to continue developing as a player. This is where I want to be.”

The post Lewis Gibson Signs appeared first on GrandOldTeam.

Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Leighton Baines rescues Everton as Wayne Rooney makes slow start via The Guardian

• Everton 1-0 Ruzomberok
• Baines 65
New-look Everton’s latest European campaign got off to only a stuttering start, though at least Leighton Baines’s second-half goal gives them a slender advantage to try to hold on to in Slovakia next week. There were several promising debuts as well, though Wayne Rooney found himself slightly upstaged by his fellow recruit Sandro Ramírez, who does not actually look much younger but plays with the zip, confidence and aggression one would expect of a 22-year-old.

This might have been Rooney’s first game in Europe for his old club but it was also Everton’s first competitive outing since the departure of Romelu Lukaku and during a quiet opening period the home side struggled to find a focus for their attacks. Deployed in the centre-forward position Rooney was easily dominated in the air by the tall Jan Maslo and efforts to play him in on the ground met with so little success it was tempting to wonder whether the returning hero had brought with him some of the stolidity of Manchester United. Rooney did have Everton’s only serious goal attempt of the first half-hour, a shot on the turn that flew over the angle of post and bar, though otherwise the only threat to Ruzomberok’s goal was a sliced clearance by Dominik Kruzliak that forced Matus Macik to react quickly to prevent an own-goal.

Related: Everton should think twice before signing Gylfi Sigurdsson for £50m

Continue reading…
Read Full Article

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.