Everton January transfer window 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone who could carry the ball decent distances up the pitch would really help our side - dare I say it - a Ross Barkley type. If we do no business in this window hopefully we’re on our way to making the summer window a success - RB, third wheel in midfield and someone to cover the attacking positions are a must

We need a faster midfield. Players who can zip it around with one or two touches with accuracy, and more intelligent movement from our forwards creating space for themselves to operate in. This has been obvious for years now yet very little has been done to address it.

Is that Brands job, or the owners/board of the club to provide more funds though mate?
It's his job to identify players that match our budget, I'd say.

So if he's been given the mandate to, for example, reduce the wage budget by 15% this season and he's decided the best way to do that is by loaning out LOADS of players but by doing so it ends up leaving us very short in certain areas, I'd expect him to find a solution to plug the one very glaring gap in the squad.

I'm aware of the difficulties present when assembling a squad, as a multitude of factors are involved. But Brands inability to employ foresight and provide sufficient cover severely hindered our capacity to compete. All the chatter regarding ambition becomes a facade. What is the point of signing an extraordinary talent like Rodriguez and a legendary manager if they're not bolstered by requisite squad depth. The absence of proper contingencies diminishes any positive achievements regarding recruitment.

I feel like I watch other teams - and I don't mean the top 2 or 3 - and they all seem to have some degree of nimbleness in midfield, some sort of quick passing, with the exception of maybe the likes of Burnley and Sheffield United. Not just today, we've looked so laborious and lethargic for months that it can't be just various bad performances. We never seem to have any control in midfield even with what I'd consider apparently good players in there.

Yes we miss Allan, but that doesn't explain the mediocre standard.

I'm aware of the difficulties present when assembling a squad, as a multitude of factors are involved. But Brands inability to employ foresight and provide sufficient cover severely hindered our capacity to compete. All the chatter regarding ambition becomes a facade. What is the point of signing an extraordinary talent like Rodriguez and a legendary manager if they're not bolstered by requisite squad depth. The absence of proper contingencies diminishes any positive achievements regarding recruitment.
Ancelotti has had one window. A squad can’t be remade in that time.

The gaps are really mainly as a result of really bad recruitment from previous regimes. The players weren’t good enough and we are taking the opportunity to clear the decks.

Walcott, Tosun and Bernard need to go whatever happens. It’s the only way we can get reinforcements.

Covids bollocksed this window for incomings obviously, and not just at Finch farm. Gutted if we don't get a cm and CF (shoulda tried a little harder to convince Moise to stay?) in tbh - we maybe could have pushed on in this bonkers league if we got some bodies in.

If we punt the gash like toshun, Bernie, Kenny etc. with no new intake, it will be interesting to see what Carlo does with the match day squad?

Ancelotti has had one window. A squad can’t be remade in that time.

The gaps are really mainly as a result of really bad recruitment from previous regimes. The players weren’t good enough and we are taking the opportunity to clear the decks.

Walcott, Tosun and Bernard need to go whatever happens. It’s the only way we can get reinforcements.
Your point about time being required to enact Carlo's vision is valid. Maybe I need to temper my expectations as it is a process.
But I believe Walcott , Bernard and even Kean were flawed footballers but possessed the ability to serve as an adequate supplemental squad. At least until the more peripheral players were moved on. To cast off all of our bench players doesn't benefit us unless some form of replacement is provided. We currently have one attacker on the bench , our options are so scarce. I just feel that's negligent especially for a team that has aspirations. Discard the duds but coverage for the first team needs to maintained.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.