Everton January transfer window 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you, but just based on the player himself having shown moments of quality (that cross the other day for example) even in his bad run, his pedigree etc. If we decide to let him leave in the summer - we may well do - he’d be seen as a sellable asset, not one we’d be looking at moving on on a free.

we’d probably be looking at max £8m, but wouldn’t be having to terminate his contract

For now he’s here like and hopefully he comes back to form.
I agree mate. But I do think you are confusing "what we want" with what other clubs are prepared to offer. They are two completely different things which is why most sales fall through. Which is why I see Gomes seeing out his contract ne way or another.

At this moment I really don't think the club wants to sell. They know he's had a bad injury and some of the cameos he's shown have been promising. That cross for Keane's winner was exquisite. At the same time he' completely stunk out other games.

I think we've seen a change in clubs policies Zat, certainly at Everton anyway. I believe you'll see a lot more players leaving clubs at the end of their contracts going forward, especially older players who have outlived their usefulness.

If a players important to us we'll start to negotiate new deals whilst they still have 2 years or more on their existing contracts. As we're seeing with Digne now and with Keane and Richy before him. Other players we'll let their contracts run down, and decide near the end whether we want to offer them a shorter term deal on less wages. In this bracket I see players like Siggy, Davies, Bernard, Tosun, Delph, Gomes and Coleman. If somebody comes in and offers Money for them then we'll probably accept, but Davies apart they are going to be hard to shift because of their wages. You've seen how difficult it is the offload players like Bolasie and Besic. Either clubs don't want them or players don't want to go because of wages.

The other players you mentioned are manly younger players and we may get small fees for them, Kenny and Gibson being the most saleable. Oh and of course Kean.

So yeah, I can see most on that list seeing out their contracts and very few, if any, will be offered new ones. Maybe Coleman as back up right back similar to Baines. And a lot of that is outside the clubs control. it's a legacy of poor player recruitment that the current management team have to work with. Most will be gone by the end of next season, and I think we'll have a very competitive squad once we have brought in 5/6 quality signings over the next 4 windows and players like Virginia, Braithwaite, Nkounkou and Gordon have developed.

Thats fair, but if we dont sell those players and they leave in 18months for free...we'll still need to dip into Moshiris pocket to replace some of them.

I think we need to be more creative in getting players out.

He would be a great option, as Ben shows pace can be enabling and very forgiving from a defensive point of view, in my opinion full back is the easiest position to coach defending, im not even sure hes all that bad, remember hes playing for Brighton. Lads were saying the same thing about Ben and how good a defender could he be given how much Norwich had shipped last year.

Hard to tell defensively while hes playing for brighton...his attacking ability looks fantastic to me though.

We will get a little more than our money back on Kean. That’s all.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Siggurdson is extended. Also, no matter what the Trump like fury is like on here, Davies will probably be kept, he Is not detested in the wider fan base.

We won’t be bringing in loads of players. 3-4 is the norm, especially while we try and get the overall squad size down. Selling Moise Kean and Kenny plus other contracts ending will largely fund that anyhow.

Finally, it’s a buyers market if anything. COVID has impacted football finances and there isn’t the money there once was. Clubs are accepting lower bids for cashflow.

I think we only need 6 more players to have a very top side.

We spent £22mil on Kean (£5mil more in clauses)...we will be making close to double on him.

Don’t sell Kean. Hold until season end at which time I suspect there will be multiple suitors

Circumstances can change...things will get interesting once we get some offers in.

I may be being pessimistic here but I think you're way out on those fees Zat. If we're offloading any of Gomes, Siggy or Bernie it will have to be on a free because of their wages. Kean will get £30-£35m max. Said yesterday, we'll be lucky to get much over £50m for the layers on your list. And that's if anyone is prepared to match the wages, so the players may even opt to stay.

Sadly Zat we can't just buy and sell players on our terms.

Zat, firstly we aren't getting £36m for those 3 players for the reasons I mentioned last post. Davies's price is admittedly going up the more he improves under Carlo (so why sell him anyway when he's still improving?). But who are the 2 players we are going to get for £36m that will be a definite improvement?. We would need to shop abroad, but the best prospects will all set you back £30m at least. Even good prospects from the Championship are costing £25m each.

Im surprised you think Gomes, Sigurdsson or Bernard will go on frees. They'll fetch fees and we'd just give them a payoff to take the deal.

We brought in 6 players in the summer for circa £60mil so im confident we wont have a problem spending money on quality once we get players out.

If there’s even a sniff of Odegaard being available we should be on it if it’s permanent or loan with option to buy. The lad would be straight in our first XI playing with James rather than instead of him. He was brilliant for Sociedad last year, and I do actually follow them a bit.

There’s lots of potential deals that we could genuinely make happen if we showed a bit of impetus

doesn’t have to be for £30m either

this isn’t in regards strictly to Odegaard, but this “nobody available” line that people run is tired and, well, wrong

So many loan opportunities at least at the moment.

I dont think the figures are too far out to be honest... but finding willing buyers, and the players wanting to go, for all of them will be difficult. Think Kean +2 or 3 others will be reasonable.

But take into account Tosun- Palace were willing to pay circa 15M before his injury last season. Kenny the price seems normal... If Kean scores 25 goals this season no reason to believe a couple of big clubs in Italy wont come back in for him and push the price up, with PSG wanting to keep him.

Bernard, if he is willing to accept a wage drop will attract a fee around that as well... he is still at a good age, loads of champions league experience, Brazilian international and no major injuries. Assume we could do a deal bringing Olsen in that would help both clubs´ accounts.

Think in general Evertonians tend to overrate players when they are doing well and underrate them when they are doing badly.

100% ;)

Bernard has 18 months left on his contract. It isnt out of the question that Everton dont give him a pay off of 2M or so against the transfer fee to make sure he isnt out of pocket.

Exactly...

I think we'd take £12mil for him...buy Olsen for £5mil....give £2mil for Bernard and bank the £5mil + wages saved.

Whatever happened to Sidibe? How's he going now?

Seems to mostly be a Bench player back at Monaco who are having a pretty good season so far

Sidibe was a fun watch, for about a month he seemed to be our best creative outlet but he just couldn't defend

Pretty much our only player who was better under Silva than Carlo for some reason

I think we've seen a change in clubs policies Zat, certainly at Everton anyway. I believe you'll see a lot more players leaving clubs at the end of their contracts going forward, especially older players who have outlived their usefulness.

If a players important to us we'll start to negotiate new deals whilst they still have 2 years or more on their existing contracts. As we're seeing with Digne now and with Keane and Richy before him. Other players we'll let their contracts run down, and decide near the end whether we want to offer them a shorter term deal on less wages. In this bracket I see players like Siggy, Davies, Bernard, Tosun, Delph, Gomes and Coleman. If somebody comes in and offers Money for them then we'll probably accept, but Davies apart they are going to be hard to shift because of their wages. You've seen how difficult it is the offload players like Bolasie and Besic. Either clubs don't want them or players don't want to go because of wages.

The other players you mentioned are manly younger players and we may get small fees for them, Kenny and Gibson being the most saleable. Oh and of course Kean.

So yeah, I can see most on that list seeing out their contracts and very few, if any, will be offered new ones. Maybe Coleman as back up right back similar to Baines. And a lot of that is outside the clubs control. it's a legacy of poor player recruitment that the current management team have to work with. Most will be gone by the end of next season, and I think we'll have a very competitive squad once we have brought in 5/6 quality signings over the next 4 windows and players like Virginia, Braithwaite, Nkounkou and Gordon have developed.

I happen to agree with this as it happens.

We are entering into a period of uncertainty and ultimately quite severe deflationary pressures. That will have a dual impact on wages and transfer fees (and the two are combined).

For anything other than "prime" assets, the need to secure them medium-ong term goes. Whereas pre-crash a fella with 12 months left on his deal knew he would get a huge payday elsewhere, he may well find that the 80k he was earning currently is now only worth say 50k p/w now. You factor in transfer values going down too, and suddenly people are not thinking "oh we have a value worth 25m available for free, so lets give him a bit of that on 120k p/w". It's the opposite. It's- well is he actually worth the 80k in the first place, if his value is now only say 10m and rapidly dropping.

We are seeing that a bit with Josh King. No way last year somebody doesn't bite your hands off and go storming into paying him 120k p/w. People have seen tohugh, given wages are so much higher here, if he flops you just can't get rid of him, and he's a lag for 4 years.

There will be lots of consequences for this. One will be expecting big fees for fellas in their late 20's will go (and conversely there will be value in bringing some in as we have shown last summer). Teams will pay more for top players who are early 20's in the hope they ride out the dip and still have them in say 4-5 years when we are growing again. So the value of lads 20-25 will hold up better (though still probably drop).

To the discussion of the above, a lot of the players mentioned don't really have much of a value anymore. Nobody is cuing up to buy Andre Gomes anymore. It's will probably strengthen clubs hands who are smart though, and can probably negotiate down deals the next time of asking (knowing the market is going down). I don't think there's the same pressure to sell or offer a big deal with 2 years remaining. You might see a lot of clubs just letting thins run for 12 more months and seeing where they arrive at. Players will know the options available to them are just not where they were 3-4 years ago.

Without going on for too long, I actually think we are quite well placed with this. We have a DOF who seems to understand this. And a manager who values and utilises older players well. Unlike their value, their abilities do not just cease to work at 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.