Everton January 2022 Transfer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has to tell Brands to find buyers for our players.

No one is telling me that we couldnt sell 2 or 3 players in January.

Its such a boring excuse for ineptitude.
So do you know much about this Golovin who’s been mentioned in a couple of reports I’ve seen tonight

Met with the owner & SPONSER and directors before joining, eh!

Smoking gun in that article isn’t about loans in Jan….;)
There in black and white lol
He isnt making excuses though and recognises that our squad has had a lot of money spent on it and should be in a better position.
@ForeverBlue92 @Theoneandonly @davek
Im sure you guys will argue that Benitez has 'incredible character' (or other soundbites lifted from former RS manager Brendan Rodgers) in the face of such surprise and astonishment of the impending disaster. Despite him clearly meeting and understanding what the realities were when he took the job...
At least he isnt coming across as a snivelling worm...

“I met the owner and the sponsor and the directors [before joining] and everybody was telling me that we have great ambition and everybody wants to do well to create a competitive team that could go to the new stadium winning something or playing in Europe. The ambition is there.
“An owner who has spent £400m, you cannot criticise him for spending money. We have to be sure we are spending the money properly and the team will be stronger. We have to be sure we improve things that maybe were not right before. If not, then you cannot justify why we were where we were and why we are where we are after spending the fourth most [of Premier League clubs] in the last five years.”

So do you know much about this Golovin who’s been mentioned in a couple of reports I’ve seen tonight

He was the best player in Russia and was sold by CSKA to Monaco....then CSKA signed Vlasic from us.

He'd play at 10 or right wing for us...looks like an Arsenal player when they were good. Bit like https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Hleb or https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomáš_Rosický

Nice first touch, good passer and looks to go forward but also hard working. I think he would be a decent signing.

FAR prefer Tchouameni from the same club who could be our long term centre mid.

We really need to sell our backup players and those who clearly arent good enough.
While there are definitely players that are not good enough for our first team, the problem is we don't have enough games without European footy to entice better back up players. Why would a first team player from a lesser team join us just to sit on the bench?

We could of course go for younger players in those back up positions, but there is no guarantee that they will become good enough to become first team regulars (Kean was a full Italian international and that didn't really work out), and it is always hard to blood youngsters when the team is struggling.

It's not an easy problem to solve.

With a long term approach in mind, you’ve got to be looking at eventually shifting A LOT of those players.

I genuinely think that the losing mentality is so deeply rooted and embedded in the team that a complete overhaul is needed. Even those that we think “yeah he’s alright” need replacing with players of a stronger mindset and winning mentality.

Below is not a quick-fix one window solution, but we should be looking at doing this over the next couple of years:

GK: Replace Pickford with someone more stable & less erratic; I think a lot of our defensive issues stem from JP’s character. Excellent goalie on his day and tremendous shot stopper (so should get decent money for him), but doesn’t have the right mindset. Begovic is an OK backup, then bin off Lonergan when Virginia comes back from his loan. (Henderson? Leno?)

RB: Huge issue here. Coleman needs putting out to pasture, Kenny not good enough. We need a starting right back with a younger backup / prospect-type option. Would do the club good to have someone new as the Captain too. (Lamptey? Aarons? Dest?)

CB: Keane not good enough, Mina inconsistent and often unavailable, Holgate: poor form or poor player? Not entirely sure. I’d definitely keep Godfrey and Branthwaite, but realistically need a revamp here too.

CM: Allan & Doucoure when fit and playing together are good options here. Defeats and poor play look like they hurt Allan too, so his mindset is something we can take going forward. But we need genuine competition: shift Gbamin, Davies, Gomes, Delph. Throw a load of recouped money at Bissouma and maybe mega-bid for Phillips to sort out our midfield for the next 5 years.

W: Gordon is a good prospect and someone we can rely on as backup. Gray & Townsend also decent & right attitude. Iwobi should be placed in a bin in the middle of the ocean. In a one-striker formation, Richarlison is the LW starter, with a left-footed starter on the opposite flank needed (Raphinha at Leeds?)

ST: Calvert-Lewin is quality. Bin off Rondon & Tosun, use Dobbin as a third-choice backup behind a new signing as second choice backup.

Again, this is not a short term project, but this needs to be the end goal. It’s absurd that we are SO far away from where we need to be in terms of squad, especially given the money spent.

Anyone else reading into benitez’s comments that the transfer taps have been turned off permanently or am i just being overly negative

With a long term approach in mind, you’ve got to be looking at eventually shifting A LOT of those players.

I genuinely think that the losing mentality is so deeply rooted and embedded in the team that a complete overhaul is needed. Even those that we think “yeah he’s alright” need replacing with players of a stronger mindset and winning mentality.

Below is not a quick-fix one window solution, but we should be looking at doing this over the next couple of years:

GK: Replace Pickford with someone more stable & less erratic; I think a lot of our defensive issues stem from JP’s character. Excellent goalie on his day and tremendous shot stopper (so should get decent money for him), but doesn’t have the right mindset. Begovic is an OK backup, then bin off Lonergan when Virginia comes back from his loan. (Henderson? Leno?)

RB: Huge issue here. Coleman needs putting out to pasture, Kenny not good enough. We need a starting right back with a younger backup / prospect-type option. Would do the club good to have someone new as the Captain too. (Lamptey? Aarons? Dest?)

CB: Keane not good enough, Mina inconsistent and often unavailable, Holgate: poor form or poor player? Not entirely sure. I’d definitely keep Godfrey and Branthwaite, but realistically need a revamp here too.

CM: Allan & Doucoure when fit and playing together are good options here. Defeats and poor play look like they hurt Allan too, so his mindset is something we can take going forward. But we need genuine competition: shift Gbamin, Davies, Gomes, Delph. Throw a load of recouped money at Bissouma and maybe mega-bid for Phillips to sort out our midfield for the next 5 years.

W: Gordon is a good prospect and someone we can rely on as backup. Gray & Townsend also decent & right attitude. Iwobi should be placed in a bin in the middle of the ocean. In a one-striker formation, Richarlison is the LW starter, with a left-footed starter on the opposite flank needed (Raphinha at Leeds?)

ST: Calvert-Lewin is quality. Bin off Rondon & Tosun, use Dobbin as a third-choice backup behind a new signing as second choice backup.

Again, this is not a short term project, but this needs to be the end goal. It’s absurd that we are SO far away from where we need to be in terms of squad, especially given the money spent.

Or we don’t get absolutely rinsed for £500m shopping solely in the PL?

While there are definitely players that are not good enough for our first team, the problem is we don't have enough games without European footy to entice better back up players. Why would a first team player from a lesser team join us just to sit on the bench?

We could of course go for younger players in those back up positions, but there is no guarantee that they will become good enough to become first team regulars (Kean was a full Italian international and that didn't really work out), and it is always hard to blood youngsters when the team is struggling.

It's not an easy problem to solve.
Thepre are definitely solutions to this. There are plenty of championship players who could step up and be good backup. There is also a much bigger free transfer market. Our problem has been that our recruit team have been unwilling or unable to find them.

Anyone else reading into benitez’s comments that the transfer taps have been turned off permanently or am i just being overly negative

I think we've splashed alot if cash hoping to have had a stable manager, a team that consistently gets into the top 7 with some sort of European tournament per season.

Now with the stadium we've had to cut right back.

I did see something somewhere saying once the stadium was done we would have access to alot more cash.

Probably through different sponsorship and tickets etc etc

I think we've splashed alot if cash hoping to have had a stable manager, a team that consistently gets into the top 7 with some sort of European tournament per season.

Now with the stadium we've had to cut right back.

I did see something somewhere saying once the stadium was done we would have access to alot more cash.

Probably through different sponsorship and tickets etc etc
Until he who can’t be named, Iwobi, Gomes etc have run their contracts down, we are in a pickle. No doubt about it.

I'd say overly negative although I understand why. We're certainly far more restricted due to PL sustainability rules and it has driven a more prudent approach.

Let's not forget, Moshiri is not in the same bracket as other owners nor do we have income through the likes of sponsorship or resales to recuperate money.

We have too much dross in the squad, who are on high wages and little interest from others, so we need these to go and accept it'll be at a loss.

Thepre are definitely solutions to this. There are plenty of championship players who could step up and be good backup. There is also a much bigger free transfer market. Our problem has been that our recruit team have been unwilling or unable to find them.
Yes, of course there are those players out there, but we are not the only team looking for those players. As soon as a half decent one is identified, the price goes up beyond what is reasonable for a backup player with potential.
As I said, it's not an easy problem to solve.

Status
Not open for further replies.