Everton & Foreign players

Status
Not open for further replies.

evilwebby

Player Valuation: £50m
It may seem hard to remember, but until quite recently, we had a long and bad history of foreign players not quite making it at Goodison. I think, I may be right in saying that it was only Pistone back in 2005 who signed a 1-year contract extension, that was the first foreign player who we actually kept on past his initial contract. How times have changed, eh? Whatever formula Moyes has taken, it has made a massive difference that the many of the overseas players we bring in go on and sign longer contracts and aren't shipped off two years into a 5 year contract.
Why couldn't we hold onto foreign players before this? What is Moyes doing differently now that past managers couldn't?

Winning games? Could you give me the other foreign players who never quite made it? Limpar? kanchelskis? Pat Van Der Hauwe.

If you look back a little further, it was infact Bergkamp who was regarded as the 1st foreign player to settle in England. Possibly Zola as well, back then foreign players where few and far between. They sort of paved the way for the foriegn invasion.

Then the monster that is the premierleague was formed and the money took over, we simply couldnt compete for the best foreign players, so we ended up with the Madars of this world.

Clearly now we dont have the money to be able to buy the elite. All Moyes has done, is take a player like Arteta, Pienaar and made them the player they should be. The man has a golden touch.

Yeah, Ardiles and Villa did well. Also Muhren and Thyssen at Ipswich, Molby to a certain extent at the rs and, as the prem took off, Cantona were probably the first foreign players to make a big impact in England

Why couldn't we keep the likes of Materazzi, Dacourt, Bilic? They were much better players than they ever showed while playing for Everton. We could never take these players and build a team around them.

Remember that time Materazzi got sent off for us at Goodison and sat slumped against the advertising boards sulking? My brother took the piss out of him for ages.

Why couldn't we keep the likes of Materazzi, Dacourt, Bilic? They were much better players than they ever showed while playing for Everton. We could never take these players and build a team around them.

These players where **** while they played for us, so why on earth would we want to keep them?

I thought he was a touch above the other players we had in the squad at the time, he did improve a lot at 1 point after he left. But hes never been the greatest player, I suppose he looked better because he was playing with complete crap at the time.

Midfielders
Scot Gemmill, Danny Williamson, Gavin McCann, 25 Peter Degn, Nick Barmby, John Collins, Don Hutchison, 24 Tony Grant, Gareth Farrelly, Olivier Dacourt, John Oster, Joe Parkinson, Mitch Ward

I need say no more.

I thought he was a touch above the other players we had in the squad at the time, he did improve a lot at 1 point after he left. But hes never been the greatest player, I suppose he looked better because he was playing with complete crap at the time.

Midfielders
Scot Gemmill, Danny Williamson, Gavin McCann, 25 Peter Degn, Nick Barmby, John Collins, Don Hutchison, 24 Tony Grant, Gareth Farrelly, Olivier Dacourt, John Oster, Joe Parkinson, Mitch Ward

I need say no more.

Parky was the snizz and Hutch for a time to. Degn the Danish Rooney, i think i remember us spending something obscne on him at the time! *

I almost lost my life when Dacourt put us 1-0 up at Anfeild with a screamer! Needless to say we were beaten 3-1! I thought he had a real touch of quality with us he didnt show at Leeds.

*Johnson in.

Status
Not open for further replies.