Everton and VAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
you play to the whistle not to a flag.

He can shove the flag up his arse and do cart wheels, it’s the whistle stops the game

I just don´t understand why the Premier League hasn´t followed the example from the World Cup.

Every time a player gets flagged offside now he should run with the ball and slot, especially if his team are winning in a game. Would waste a decent amount of time.

I've said this for a long time mate, the TV technology doesn't support the accuracy that they are deploying it to and there is an awful lot of subjectivity in when to choose as reference points. Smoke and mirrors, smoke and mirrors
There's a world of difference between technology and science. The two are being conflated here to lend some sort of infallibility to VAR.

There is no way this would stand up to rigorous scientific testing standards. There is no basis for this measurement because there aren't two definite points that are being measured: the point where the foot strikes the ball to put the pass into motion and the point where the player meant to receive it is standing when that happens.

It's arbitrary and therefore BS from a scientific perspective.

The whole of VAR is fundamentally subjective: from the way the laws on what's to be seen as infringement change from month to month, to what constitutes contact, to how offsides are measured.

It's a BS system that's been deployed by the industry to determine game outcomes and trophy winners.

It's as corrupt as sport gets. If we gave all players EPO and let them play football it'd be less corrupt than VAR.

So if they're told to flag anyway, how does the ref know when to blow the whistle? Because sometimes the flag goes up, the whistle gets blown straight away and stops the game. Maybe he seen it was Everton and thought nah I won't blow up yet let's see if he scores

View attachment 72695

I just don´t understand why the Premier League hasn´t followed the example from the World Cup.

Every time a player gets flagged offside now he should run with the ball and slot, especially if his team are winning in a game. Would waste a decent amount of time.

I could be wrong like, but I'm sure the officials have had that memo, not too flag for tight offsides.

The thing is as well, you're taught at a young age when you play footy, that you play to the whistle, not stop and put your arm in the air like Keane did today.

The decision for their second goal means every player flagged offside needs to take no notice and carry on and score. Then let VAR look at it. What we'll see on Wednesday is the assistant referees constantly fflagging for offside when a team is attacking Liverpool. Half of those won't be offside but play will have stopped therefore denying the opposition a chance to score. This started the very first game when lfc okayed Norwich and pukki was flagged 4 times offside when 2 of them he wasn't.
It will be very interesting on Wednesday whether our players stop when flagged offside or play on. The message is clear play on and score and let VAR take a look. Mind that will depend on the ref if he asks for it. If we score in such circumstances he will if they score he won't.

The decision for their second goal means every player flagged offside needs to take no notice and carry on and score. Then let VAR look at it. What we'll see on Wednesday is the assistant referees constantly fflagging for offside when a team is attacking Liverpool. Half of those won't be offside but play will have stopped therefore denying the opposition a chance to score. This started the very first game when lfc okayed Norwich and pukki was flagged 4 times offside when 2 of them he wasn't.
It will be very interesting on Wednesday whether our players stop when flagged offside or play on. The message is clear play on and score and let VAR take a look. Mind that will depend on the ref if he asks for it. If we score in such circumstances he will if they score he won't.

If our players ignore the flag on Wednesday, they will be booked, time wasting.

There's a world of difference between technology and science. The two are being conflated here to lend some sort of infallibility to VAR.

There is no way this would stand up to rigorous scientific testing standards. There is no basis for this measurement because there aren't two definite points that are being measured: the point where the foot strikes the ball to put the pass into motion and the point where the player meant to receive it is standing when that happens.

It's arbitrary and therefore BS from a scientific perspective.

The whole of VAR is fundamentally subjective: from the way the laws on what's to be seen as infringement change from month to month, to what constitutes contact, to how offsides are measured.

It's a BS system that's been deployed by the industry to determine game outcomes and trophy winners.

It's as corrupt as sport gets. If we gave all players EPO and let them play football it'd be less corrupt than VAR.

Its quite ridiculous. The speed these players move at, and the margins that are being employed, a player can be offside at the moment a player strikes the ball, but onside the moment the ball leaves the players foot. It just goes to show, everything can be manipulated.

I do have major concerns with VAR though, its far too open to corruption.

I just don't see it ever being fully accepted. My only hope is that there is a massive smoking gun, and corruption in such a level as the entire seasons results gets scrapped from record.

If our players ignore the flag on Wednesday, they will be booked, time wasting.

If the VAR shows a goal they can't be booked. Like I said the assistant refs are very quick to raise the flag against an attacking team when they attack lfc. The presidence has now been set - carry on and score and take the chance with VAR.

Its quite ridiculous. The speed these players move at, and the margins that are being employed, a player can be offside at the moment a player strikes the ball, but onside the moment the ball leaves the players foot. It just goes to show, everything can be manipulated.

I do have major concerns with VAR though, its far too open to corruption.

I just don't see it ever being fully accepted. My only hope is that there is a massive smoking gun, and corruption in such a level as the entire seasons results gets scrapped from record.
It'll be of minor consolation at the season's end when Liverpool are feted by the media for their first title win in 30 years, but I'm convinced most people are seeing this season as a departure from football where talent decides a title to one where faceless bureaucrats decide it. It's not as clear cut as a bribed title win as with Juventus, but it's not far off.

It's quite simple: if we have games judged by officials at a ground as we've always had, Liverpool are maybe a point ahead of City, or maybe not even ahead. VAR's impact has been to put 10 points or more in Liverpool's hands.

It's not science, it's technology + interpretation. And that lends itself to bias much more than any referee making decisions where everyone knows who he is and what his associations are and past record in refereeing games. Put simply: the football industry concerned with "the product" can decide exactly who it would be beneficial for them to see lifting the game's major trophies from season to season.

Status
Not open for further replies.