Europa League - Lyon (Away)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I agree with playing virtually all the u23s in this game the fact is it will not happen

Unsworth will have the best side out he can pick and that’s purely because he needs a win in order to try and secure a job regardless of the fact it’s almost certain we are out

Should Unsworth send out the reserves? There's a strong case for that. But there's an equally strong case for picking the side he'd be playing against Watford, in an attempt to improve their gelling as a team, and to just simply give them more practice and chance to improve their all-round performance. The absolutely worst thing to do would be to go half and half and just play a moderately weakened team. That would be totally pointless -- as Everton would be after the 90 minutes.

I don't buy in to this cowardly mentality that we can't 'risk' the first team for this game. We're not mathematically out yet, and a win could do us massive favours for our confidence. I'd pick a strong side, as I would in any competitive match the club takes part in.

These players are supposed to be professional athletes too. The older players like Jagielka and Baines may need to be managed appropriately in terms of how many games they play, and possibly the very young ones, but the rest need to take a long hard look at themselves if they can't manage 2 games in a week.

I'd play (assuming Keane is missing):

Pickford
Kenny Holgate Jagielka Baines
Vlasic Gana Davies Lookman
Sigurdsson
Rooney

no point sending out the reserves, getting battered and denting the confidence even more

go for the win and try and build confidence, theyre athletes they should be able to do 2 games a week and stop being fairys

no point sending out the reserves, getting battered and denting the confidence even more

go for the win and try and build confidence, theyre athletes they should be able to do 2 games a week and stop being fairys
How do u build confidence with Jags/Williams at the heart of defence?

Status
Not open for further replies.